Opinions needed - magnifying tool complies with Terms of Service?

I believe the answer to this is yes, it is okay to use a magnification tool in combination with GW2, but I want to get a community opinion just to be sure.

• I use a magnification tool to replicate the skill bar on a different part of the screen at double the magnification.
  • This third party window is forced to remain on top of GW2 while the game runs in Windowed Fullscreen.
  • I position the replicated skill bar much closer to the center of the screen, usually just above the center.
  • The third party window does not interact with GW2 in any way. I can't click on the magnified window to use skills, for example.

I play PvE content, normally CM-level, and main a Firebrand. Some of the rotations include mantra skills that must not be depleted immediately as part of an optimal skill rotation. In order to avoid depleting them early, I need to look down at the skill bar to catch a glimpse of the charge recovery per mantra. These indicators are so subtle that it requires a bit of concentration to find them. When I try to track that, I lose sight of telegraphed attacks and AoE circles near the center of the screen. Admittedly I find myself needing to look down at skill availability in general due to the cooldown variability caused by alacrity. Mantras are just particularly bad because their charge recovery is a thin white line that draws a square around the skill.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have done something similar a while ago, because someone with a 4k screen complained that they could not see the HP bars of their team-mates properly. In that case I used the same location, but drastically magnified the element in question.

There are a few ways to take a look at it:

1.) We already have regular magnifying devices operational when running the game. Some of us use glasses or eye-lenses with such an effect. Some people use real magnifying glasses - no joke. A rather obscure method is to use your smartphone as a screen and use one of these magnifying stands to get a proper display size - works great if you can get a good resolution. Everyone who uses different resolutions basically twists the zooming artificially. Also playing on multiple screens can give you an advantage over players who do not. At last, if you do the Sharkmaw Caverns JP or the Obsidian Sanctum, several guides recommend you to alter the screen brightness to see in the dark, which is also a modification. - None of these violates any rules.

2.) Most of the 3rd party tools which are legal for GW2 are overlays. Which means they put an additional UI layer over your screen, providing additional information or making existing information easier available. Especially stuff like TacO, which helps you finding paths, entries, traps, loot with additional highlights is legal.

-

I think your actions are legal. The huge problem with contacting support is that they are only allowed to answer according to compliance. You most likely will not get a clear YES or NO to these kind of questions. Just a quote from their legal documents + a link and the hint that it is clearly explained there what is allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1