Mastery points & achievements - new player

Hello,

I am kinda new to this game and I am curious if you are able to max out every mastery from every expansion available (Tyria too) without completing achievements. I played PoF, HoT and it seems like the only mastery points are from the story or from collecting around the map. Not sure about Tyria or End of Dragons. I would be very happy if some experienced player can describe how to max out expansions and what it has in common with achievements. Its too much for me to handle all informations about the game but still dont want to be stopped at max xp because of no mastery points available. 

Thank you in advance for all of your answers 😊

Edited by Ayzen.5692

13 minutes ago, Ayzen.5692 said:

Hello,

I am kinda new to this game and I am curious if you are able to max out every mastery from every expansion available (Tyria too) without completing achievements. I played PoF, HoT and it seems like the only mastery points are from the story or from collecting around the map. Not sure about Tyria or End of Dragons. I would be very happy if some experienced player can describe how to max out expansions and what it has in common with achievements. Its too much for me to handle all informations about the game but still dont want to be stopped at max xp because of no mastery points available. 

No.  You will need to do some form of achievement for all mastery points (even channel points and story are technically achievements.)  If you want to max out masteries, you will need to go do more than just story and map completion.

Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire masteries are a bit trickier to define, as Living World seasons 3 and 4 are considered HoT and PoF masteries respectively.  Then there's Icebrood Saga which has its own self-contained mastery line.

Step 1 is to know that some mastery lines are hidden until you do their related content.  For example, until you enter Fractals for the first time, the Fractal mastery line won't even appear in your hero panel.  The same is true for raids, siege turtles, and gryphons.

Step 2 is to look for things you can get for regular gameplay.  For example, the Triple Trouble world boss in Bloodtide Coast has 4 central tyria mastery points attached to it, one for each head and a fourth for beating it as a map.  Another example is the 6 IBS mastery points from charr commendations in Drizzlewood Coast.  Those you literally just play the map a bunch and you'll get them.

Step 3 is to look for simple achievements to complete, such as the timed mount ride challenges in End of Dragons and Secrets of the Obscure.

Step 4 is to find larger achievements that nonetheless award a mastery point fairly early on.  For example, the achievement for beating the Cold War strike a bunch of times actually awards a mastery point at tiers 1 and 3, which are one kill and 10 kills respectively, despite the full achievement being 50 kills.

After that, I'd say look around in your achievement panel at which ones award mastery points, then decide which sound good to try.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayzen.5692 said:

Hello,

Here's a list to peruse:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

• Like 1

Many of the achievements for mastery points feel like quests, some just like checklists, like the insights.
You can use the achievements in the H menu to filter by mastery points and see where you might still be able to get some easy points, such as insights. This helped me because I have trouble seeing the grayed-out symbols on the map.

However, some mastery points are also hidden behind difficult, long and/or expensive achievements.

The insights and the ones from the story mode for just playing through are the easiest. Followed by those for (world) bosses or events, such as the Dragon's Stand meta in HoT.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1