What are the chances that anet will add a tank mount into the game?

14 hours ago, LichOverlord.6329 said:

People who think the turtle is useless tend to not have friends they play with

I play with a regular group, and it's actually one of my more-used mounts, especially since I'm the only one in the group rn that has access to flight

Its also great for unlocking waypoints, as it will teleport a passenger with you across the zone to any waypoint you have, even if they haven't discovered it themselves 

Turtle suffers from two things imo: being typecast as purely a co-op mount, and when it released. Assuming they still added the Jade Bot modules and LW4 Crystal Champion mastery track, I think the turtle would see/have seen a lot more solo use if it had been added to the game before the skyscale. People would still have grumbled about the speed, handling, and lack of solo cannons, but I think in general people would have pushed its boundaries more in terms of personal mobility.

There are plenty of valid complaints about it, like the various bugs that plague it, but it is objectively the most versatile mount because it can get almost anywhere, including underwater and most places a skyscale can (with patience).

I think the "reward" for riding it solo is getting comfortable enough with its mechanics that you give any other players that ride a better experience. A lot of people probably try it with someone else, find the controls and the need for someone else to fire the cannons frustrating, and give up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

Turtle suffers from two things imo: being typecast as purely a co-op mount, and when it released. Assuming they still added the Jade Bot modules and LW4 Crystal Champion mastery track, I think the turtle would see/have seen a lot more solo use if it had been added to the game before the skyscale. People would still have grumbled about the speed, handling, and lack of solo cannons, but I think in general people would have pushed its boundaries more in terms of personal mobility.

There are plenty of valid complaints about it, like the various bugs that plague it, but it is objectively the most versatile mount because it can get almost anywhere, including underwater and most places a skyscale can (with patience).

I think the "reward" for riding it solo is getting comfortable enough with its mechanics that you give any other players that ride a better experience. A lot of people probably try it with someone else, find the controls and the need for someone else to fire the cannons frustrating, and give up.

Yeah this is very true for me. I got the mount solely for the mastery points for a sense of completion. I don't actually use it at all. When the turtle was first announced I was excited because I have fond memories from GW1. Then, when I finally got it and learned I can't actually fire the cannons myself I immediately lost interest. WHAT IS THE POINT OF A SIEGE TURTLE IF I CAN'T CONTROL MY OWN SIEGE CANNONS?

You mean to tell me that the huge Homer-Simpson-nuclear-reactor-console that our characters are sitting in while controlling the turtle doesn't include a 'fire' button? Huge case of 'dropped the ball' when it comes to the turtle mount. I get that they wanted to incentivize getting other players to use your turtle under the guise of player co-op, but even in a situation where a turtle's cannons are required it would be a mess to figure out 'my turtle or yours?'. It's cumbersome. Most players would immediately and intuitively use their own turtle, leaving their back seat unused, and thus less cannons being used overall.

The back seat should have been an additional and separate gunner position that uses a rapid-fire mini-gun or something (think think the Warthog in the Halo franchise). What we got is the equivalent of the scorpion tank with jump-jets, but the main driver can't control the main cannon. Instead, one of the brain-dead NPCs is in charge of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

WHAT IS THE POINT OF A SIEGE TURTLE IF I CAN'T CONTROL MY OWN SIEGE CANNONS?

Yeah, I think that put a lot of people off. And again, I don't know if marketing it differently might have helped, by advertising it as having a huge, devastating slam that doesn't dismount you first and foremost, then "and your friend can also shoot cannons" as a secondary feature. Maybe not, because cannons are cool, but making the single-player abilities feel like the focus rather than an afterthought seems like more incentive for people to want to get their own.

Controversial opinion I know, but I think Slam is actually more fun to use than Turtle Siege. It does more defiance damage, has less of a delay so is easier to land, and hits a much bigger area so you're more likely to reach the cap of 10 targets. Because it also hits in a small radius around the turtle as well as the wide 600-range cone, I enjoy lining up trick shots by backing up to one target while getting as many targets in the cone as possible, then flying round to spread some burning with the jets before lining up another Slam. It also has an undocumented slight damage boost depending on how high you use it from, which adds another strategic element when you're trying to hit things as hard as possible.

I'm not saying the cannons are bad by any stretch, just that there's a surprising amount of depth to Slam, and making it the headline rather than it feeling like a consolation prize might have been a better way to present the turtle's combat skills for people who don't play with friends much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think what I just really don't like about the Turtle, and since SotO, also about the Skyscale is that they're combat mounts. Combat mounts was one of the features ANet had left to give us, along with fishing f.e., and while conceptual ok, I don't think it's necessary in a game that has solid combat on its own that doesn't need that sort of gimmick like GW2, it's definitely not an improvement when compared to regular skills. Also it makes some players lazy which, while not making a huge difference in a big portion of the open world, is still highly frustrating where it does by prolonging events/phases or making them fail due to lack of damage. This is why I wouldn't want to see more combat mounts introduced to the game in general and all suggestions like OP has be solved by skins if at all.

• Sad 2