Necro land spear wishes for janthir wilds

2 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Indeed, It's a failed mechanic that have lingered in the game since it's inception. It's the unpopular kind of trait/effect that one usually take as a filler.

In fact... after reading again the spear's description, spear seem to be GS 2.0... The failed design of the necromancer's greatsword where everything revolve around gravedigger is clearly forced again on the spear. The skill#2 is improved against low heath foes. There is many way to reset skill#2 CD. Your other skills build "soul shards" that can only be consumed by the skill#2. The skill#2 is a melee skill... In HoT, there was even the trait Soul eater that was dedicated to make the player use GS skill#2 gravedigger!

On the soul shard topic, they are described as "venom" with a damaging and an healing component, so it's not that difficult to deduce that the thing won't deal critical damage. For all intent an purpose they will be vampiric mark stacks that you can only trigger with spear skill#2. I'm even expecting underwhelming numbers like all siphon effects.

I mean, there is nothing really new for the necromancer in this spear, it's just a design that I already wanted gone from the game in 2015 except that it force the player to dedicate himself to an even more rigid rotation and there are lot of eye catching visual effects.

Given the number of people who enjoy reaper greatsword, it seems like your belief that it's a "failed mechanic" is your own subjective opinion. As opposed to those that were hated enough that ArenaNet did have to cave and remove them... and then brought back.

That said, being too close in how it operates to greatsword might be a valid concern to watch for.