Hello fellow players,

I've been away for a little while, playing other games, only login in occasionally; and lost track of updates.

So I'd like to ask a few questions to active fellow players.

1. Has the xpac been released yet?

2. Is it worth it?

3. Do spears remain 2 handed, or is there a MH option?

For those that have potato computers like me:

4. Does this xpac, if released, lag as bad as SotO?

SotO was almost unplayable in my machine. 

I barely just scraped through the end, due to having such bad fps, that the game was more of a 1940s slideshow, than a videogame. 

Even my spectrum was faster than SotO, and unfortunately I cannot afford a new computer yet.

I've been unemployed since April, and are on a really tight budget.

So, I need to know if it's really worth the purchase.

If it's going to lag as much as soto, or nearly as much, then I won't be able to get it, just for the sake of spears... which I always wanted, but if there isn't a MH option, so we can use a shield or other weapons on the off-hand, then I won't bother.

Housing is not really my cup of tea, so I'm not bothered about that.

Last question. 

5. Is there anything else I should know about this xpac?

Last Notes:

I really cannot afford a new machine, because as I said... I've been unemployed since April, and have my life responsibilities, which I have to prioritise. 

So, if it's not worth it, I don't know if I'll even get this or any other xpac in the future.

SotO was an awful experience. 

Almost unplayable, and tbh, I didn't like anything about it, except the wizards vault, and unlocking new weapons.

I only spent enough time there to finish up the story, just for the sake of it.

But anyways, Please let me know your honest opinion so far, if it's worth getting this or not.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Hey there, 

Welcome back. 

Janthir Wilds hasn't been released yet, we've still got another month (August 20th). 

Spears will be 2 handed for each profession as we saw with the beta.

Performance for me personally has been on a downward spiral since Dragonfall (looking at you Fissure of Woe), but I'm running on a machine over a decade old. 

What system are you running? 

Maybe we can recommend some tweaks or cheaper upgrades to get you back to a playable level. 

It's very likely to be running the same as SoTo for you, as that's the path they've taken with DX11 & lighting upgrades.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the reply @VaegaVic.6394

If that's the case, I might have to patiently wait until I can afford a new machine, and then wait to see honest reviews when the new xpac is released, and make a decision then.

I'm running an old banger too, and cannot be upgraded with RAM, nor graphics card.

So it definitely has to be a newer one.

The thing is that, there's no point in getting the new xpac, if it's going to be unplayable. 

I know what you mean.

Each expac demands more of the computer than the previous one.

Some maps in HoT already lag like hell on mine, such as verdant brink, and the last area of Modremoth.

It's more open areas that does that, because my graphics card simply just can't handle so much happening at once on the screen, such as fire, smoke effects, snow, explosions, and the amount of players.

More than 25 players on my screen and already slows down to crawl.

I notice that even in much older games, such as gta san andreas.

The smoke effects lag the game a lot.

Anyways, thanks for the reply again.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1.  No. For the date check out https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-us/janthir-wilds?tab=0

2. We don't know, it's not out yet.

3. It's a two-handed weapon and will remain a two-handed weapon.

4. We don't know, it's not out yet.

5. See https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-us/janthir-wilds?tab=0 and the blog to find all official information. Everything else is speculation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I suggest upgrading your machine first so that you can actually enjoy yourself. There is no point in playing games like this on a sub-par system since your enjoyment will take a serious hit. Games are meant too be enjoyable, and performance issues will definitely reduce that. Upgrade, then we'll talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1