All the Queen's Men - tedious and setting up needlessly adversarial player-player interactions?

I don't know if this is just me, but I've found the "All the Queen's Men" achievement in the Lowland Shore to be... pretty offputting. Each maggot only seems to be able to give achievement progress to one individual player (as a warclaw leap will kill them instantly), and the way they spawn in a ring leads to a circle of players all chasing each other, and the net result is... players competing to screw each other over to get more maggots. It doesn't exactly feel good in an event which is supposed to be collaborative with players working together to achieve the goal.

I've tried the event a few times, but each time I do I'm only able to get about a dozen or two maggots per spawn cycle (three per event), which for an achievement with a total requirement of 500 squishings seems fairly excessive. Every time I just end up getting frustrated with other players "kill stealing" the maggots and denying credit for maggots I've lined my warclaw up on.

If there were something like a "grace period" after each maggot gets hit, perhaps some kind of status effect to mark the maggot as being in the process of dying, so that other players striking it with a warclaw leap can get credit for hitting it, I think the event/achievement would be a lot less frustrating and lead to a far less aggravating player experience. As it is, trying to get the achievement is just an exercise in getting frustrated at other players, which is directly due to the incentives and design at play in the event/achievement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ding Of Dong.5729 said:

I don't know if this is just me, but I've found the "All the Queen's Men" achievement in the Lowland Shore to be... pretty offputting. Each maggot only seems to be able to give achievement progress to one individual player (as a warclaw leap will kill them instantly), and the way they spawn in a ring leads to a circle of players all chasing each other, and the net result is... players competing to screw each other over to get more maggots. It doesn't exactly feel good in an event which is supposed to be collaborative with players working together to achieve the goal.

I've tried the event a few times, but each time I do I'm only able to get about a dozen or two maggots per spawn cycle (three per event), which for an achievement with a total requirement of 500 squishings seems fairly excessive. Every time I just end up getting frustrated with other players "kill stealing" the maggots and denying credit for maggots I've lined my warclaw up on.

If there were something like a "grace period" after each maggot gets hit, perhaps some kind of status effect to mark the maggot as being in the process of dying, so that other players striking it with a warclaw leap can get credit for hitting it, I think the event/achievement would be a lot less frustrating and lead to a far less aggravating player experience. As it is, trying to get the achievement is just an exercise in getting frustrated at other players, which is directly due to the incentives and design at play in the event/achievement.

Like... you know it's cumulative right? By your math you are getting just over 80 per cycle... just do the event six times. It's not that long and insanely easy...

• Like 1