Apologies for another "Newbie Needs Guidance" Post

Greetings!

I've played many different MMO's over the years ever since MMO's existed. I've always seemed to quickly gravitate to a class that I liked and worked for my play style but ever since I've discovered GW2 a few days ago, I've found that task not quite as easy for some reason. I don't know how I missed GW2 all these years but I've now discovered what a really great and polished game it is. That aside, I find it a bit different from the traditional model and a little more complex to figure out how to build what you'll like (i.e. what weapon combos to use, all the utilities, specializations, gear/stat priorities, etc.)

I was hoping to find a little guidance from those in the know who may be able to point me in the right direction or at least giving me some advice on how I may be able to quickly discover which class is best for me myself. Here is where I am at; I tried a Necro until about level 8 and couldn't figure out why I didn't have a pet. Quickly got an itch to try a Ranger and found it to be pretty fun. Have that character to level 24 playing only a long bow. That's the breadth of my GW2 experience. I'm beginning to wonder if the Ranger is for me or not and I find I'm struggling a tad - maybe I just don't know what I'm doing yet and admittedly, I haven't spent many hero points yet because I have no idea what to put them in and don't want to gimp myself later on.

Here are some parameters around which I'd like some guidance...

I am mainly concerned with a build for PvE, the main story line, and open world events. I have zero interest in PvP or WvW. I would like to be able to do dungeons either solo or in a group but I am mostly a solo player due to real life commitments and play time availability. Typically, in other MMO's I lean towards caster classes, pet classes, or stealthy classes. I am open to other classes as well. I also am looking for a class/build that doesn't require a more twitchy play style of dodging all the time, kiting, etc. I either want to hit hard from a distance and continue to do so from a distance - OR - hit hard from a distance and then be very capable up close when things get up close and personal. I don't care to be the fastest clearer but I want to be capable in that area and also not be so squishy that I die when I get a few mobs on me at once.

I think that's about it. I have read many similar posts but most of what is said is in jargon I am not yet familiar with so even when I read it it 's hard to make sense of it. I don't need super-in depth guidance but some ideas of what classes (based on my above stated play style) might be good to check out and maybe a couple indicators about what specialization or skills/weapons to focus around would be helpful. Thanks so much in advance for your wisdom and safe and happy hunting to you all.

Sounds like Ranger is the way to go for you. Every bolded request is filled quite handily by a Ranger using Longbow and some sort of melee weapon, be it Greatsword or Sword-and-something-else. Can also use Ranger's "Druid" elite specialization to bump up the survivability of you and your pet even further. Just be careful if you do end up playing Ranger for those reasons; there's an infamous stereotype of the "Bearbow" Ranger, where a Ranger will send in a Bear (the most durable pet available) while standing back with the Longbow, and never really learn to handle tougher aspects of the game like dodging, or cause problems with their distance from the fight and/or their knockback arrow. X)

I'd recommend going to the PvP lobby to try out various classes. While in the lobby, you're automatically set to level 80 with all of your traits and abilities unlocked. It can be a good way to try out all the different aspects of each class, though it does still leave something to be desired as far as seeing how the class fares in a PvE setting.

Ranger and necro are two of the strongest solo professions for open world/story stuff for sure. Ranger is nice as well as if you want to do dungeons, you have the option of playing a soulbeast for solid damage or a druid if you want to be more supportive. If you're enjoying ranger I'd recommend sticking to that.

As far as what's twitchy.. that's relative. As you get to higher level there will be attacks that you will need to dodge or use an ability that gives evasion or blocks to handle. Ranger generally isn't intense as far as needing to hit things very quickly, though, especially if you're mostly soloing. You may need to do a little kiting, but usually it won't be constant unless you're fighting some event bosses, and enemies that are champions or legendary - those are hard to solo if it's possible at all. For most of what you're doing while leveling, you can do fine with a longbow in one weapon set, and either a greatsword or sword/axe in the other. You can also try a condition build (conditions being damage over time abilities, bleeding, poison, burning, torment, etc.), which I believe is shortbow and axe/dagger before max level. The former will probably be easier to find gear for, but play around a little bit will all the weapons to see if you like their abilities.

If you're having trouble while leveling, it might mean there's a big attack you didn't avoid (like an ettin rearing back and slamming the ground, knocking you flat on your butt) or maybe your armor is falling behind your level a bit. When you finish a heart on the map, if you go back and talk to the person with the heart above their head, they'll usually have a couple of items to sell for karma that may help (you get karma primarily by finishing events, the orange circles or icon on the map that pop up from time to time, and a bit from finishing a heart). I wouldn't recommend going out of your way for armor crafting as you learn (but if you're doing that anyway or can get a friend to make something that's also an option). Also, don't worry too much about the perfect stats until max level, just try to stick to items with power and precision for damage, and if you feel you need more defenses, a bit of vitality. If you're trying the condition weapons (e.g. shortbow, axe/dagger), you will want condition damage, precision, and maybe some power. If you're really struggling to stay alive, using skills that give you protection, regeneration or other defenses are usually much more effective than stats on your armor.

You will want to do some meleeing to get used to your abilities there and when to dodge out of things, since in most dungeons or fractals, you're far far better off staying in a tight group with your party. Boons (buffs) usually have a very short range, so if you're standing way in the back with the longbow in a dungeon, you're likely missing out on all of the buffs the group is giving out. While leveling, it may be nice to do the story mode dungeons to get a feel for them. After you do a story dungeon, there are alternate routes called explorable paths - those tend to be more difficult and don't tie into the main story, so you may want to wait to do those until you're more familiar with the game.

Also, since you mentioned hero points, the ones you get normally from leveling 1-80 will let you get all of your base skills by then. Anything you get from points on the map will just get you those skills a bit faster, and will give you a head start on druid or soulbeast when you're 80, so definitely go in and spend some of those.

Feel free to use your hero points. By lvl 80 you will have enough for every single core skill and can change your character freely when not in combat.

Use 2 weapon sets and swap back and forth. A ranged weapon and a melee weapon, usually.

I’m a bit new myself but can answer those parts for you.

There is no holy trinity in this game (dps, tank, healer). We are all capable of doing all things. But we don’t really ‘tank’ in the way many mmo’s just have damage soakers.

Even the thief in this game isn’t a full stealth class either. Stealth is only ever brief. Not like wow, where you just run around all you want invisible.

Thanks, everyone, for all the great and thorough replies. Much appreciated. For kicks, I started an Elementalist and ran him to level 9. I realize that's not much of a test but it didn't seem to cal out to me initially which was surprising. I think one of the mechanics I am not enjoying in GW2 are the numerous ground targeted skills. There seem to be a fair number of them. Not a fan so far but maybe I'm not fully grasping how they work.

Question: If I "cast" a ground targeted spell/skill that does some effect over time, and the mob(s) run out of the area after it's cast, they no longer are affected by it from that point on. Is that correct?

My Ranger problems (not that there are many) is when I have a large number of mobs on me (group event or something) and I only have one AoE skill (long bow) and it's the ground target skill that rains arrows in one spot. Then everything runs out of that spot, swarms me and kills me. I guess maybe this is where I should swap to a melee weapon set and maybe there are some AoE abilities I can use there. And again, maybe there are some good options to improve this in my utilities which I need to spend some time investigating.

I have thought about going to a condition build but, like you said, that usually pushes you towards short bow. I think I get turned off of short bow because all the skills seem to indicate more damage if you are behind or flanking and I'm likely not going to find myself in that situation much playing solo. Maybe it's not that big of a deal it just feels like I would be gimping myself some.

On the "bearbow" suggestion: I have not been able to get a bear pet yet. On the Wiki I see where it can be found but it seems to be in zones higher than where I am yet. That'd be fine but what confuses me is how I am seeing numerous lower level players running around with them in the starter zones.

Question: Are there any easier ways to get a bear pet? I have only been in the zone outside Divinty's Reach and the zone right after that.

I've done the story line you get at level 10 and 20 and only had a little trouble with the latter when I got swarmed by centaurs.

I think I'll spend some time today trying out some alternative ranger weapons/skills and start spending some Hero points looking for some good options to beef up my defenses a little, increase my AoE ability, and perhaps make my pet a little more formidable.

Question: Do you think it is a worthwhile approach to put a considerable amount of points into making the pet perform at a high level? Can you get to a point (perhaps with bear pet) where he taunts well and can hold aggro while I sit back and pew pew pew? Is that a viable play style later in the game or not so much?

That's all I can think of for now. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me learn this awesome game and settle in on a class/spec that will really suit me.

Question: If I "cast" a ground targeted spell/skill that does some effect over time, and the mob(s) run out of the area after it's cast, they no longer are affected by it from that point on. Is that correct?

They won't get any more stacks of condition damage, but any stacks they have on them when they run out will still affect them until they run out. For these types of skills, anticipating where the enemy is about to be is an important part of casting.

My Ranger problems (not that there are many) is when I have a large number of mobs on me (group event or something) and I only have one AoE skill (long bow) and it's the ground target skill that rains arrows in one spot. Then everything runs out of that spot, swarms me and kills me. I guess maybe this is where I should swap to a melee weapon set and maybe there are some AoE abilities I can use there. And again, maybe there are some good options to improve this in my utilities which I need to spend some time investigating.

In this instance, you would want to either switch to melee weapons or kite a bit and try to line up your shots to hit more than one enemy at a time. It's usually possible to hit 3-5 with each if they're tightly grouped, and you won't hit more than 5 at a time with AoE attacks, anyway. I use sword/axe as my ranger melee weapons, for the combo finisher on Axe 5, but I think greatsword is the more popular choice. You can buy cheap weapons in the PvP lobby and try them on the training golems to see which you like best.

On the "bearbow" suggestion: I have not been able to get a bear pet yet. On the Wiki I see where it can be found but it seems to be in zones higher than where I am yet. That'd be fine but what confuses me is how I am seeing numerous lower level players running around with them in the starter zones.Question: Are there any easier ways to get a bear pet? I have only been in the zone outside Divinty's Reach and the zone right after that.

Some players chose the bear for their pet when creating their character. You can find a polar bear in the Norn city of Hoelbrak (south side of Lake Mourn), or an arctodus in the Norn beginner area of Wayfarer Foothills (Frusenfell Creek or Moleberia), both of which are bear group pets. You should have one of the waypoints over there automagically unlocked, or you can go through the Asura gate in Divinity's Reach to Lion's Arch, and from there through another gate to Hoelbrak, then out the east gate to Wayfarer. If you're on NA, feel free to message me in game, and I'll be happy to run over there with you and help you get some more pets for your collection.

Question: Do you think it is a worthwhile approach to put a considerable amount of points into making the pet perform at a high level? Can you get to a point (perhaps with bear pet) where he taunts well and can hold aggro while I sit back and pew pew pew? Is that a viable play style later in the game or not so much?

It's a somewhat viable style in solo open-world PvE, but not usually in PvP or group PvE situations, and you'll want a different kind of pet on swap to make up for the things the bear can't do well. Because it's a style that relies on the pet to do most of the work, it will make it less likely that you'll learn better tricks along the way, which can make high level content extra challenging until you catch up on dodging/line-of-sight/positioning/good pet management, etc.

Longbow's #5 skill has a massive AoE. Make sure to position it so that the far edge of the ring is just barely on the enemies, so that they have further to run in order to reach you. The skill inflicts Cripple, making them take longer to run out of the area. Additionally, Longbow 4 can knock back enemies, so you can hit them back into the AoE if they leave it early.

Shortbow's flanking bonus should still come into play pretty often when solo thanks to your pet. Though you may end up having to get close so that you can move behind the enemy with less total distance traversed.

Unfortunately, getting the pet to tank for you is less a matter of passive build choices, and more a matter of active positioning and patience. If you send the pet in first before you start attacking, you're pretty much guaranteed to have the enemy focus on your pet instead of you. If you get the first hit in, though, they'll start running for you first, and will only change target if you're substantially further away and the pet gets a hit or two in as the enemy is running for you. The Beastmastery specialization line can help make this a little less inconvenient, as the Grandmaster Minor trait bumps up the pet's movement speed, allowing them to reach the enemy faster. Not to mention all the other pet boosts in the tree.

After your pet hits the enemy, you can use the knockback arrow (#4) to regain some distance without having to reposition yourself. Just make sure other players aren't fighting the same enemy, because that knockback can be rather annoying for them. :P

If waiting for the bear to reach the enemy is too frustrating, you might want to try a Devourer pet. They don't have nearly as much HP, and they can't self-heal, but they've got very high defense values and can hit at a range, drastically reducing the time it takes for them to get a hit off. The only problem is, the enemy is going to end up fighting much closer to you compared to a melee pet, since the Devourer will come to a halt far before getting up next to the enemy.

Thanks again for the replies.

TAELAC - Thanks, in particular, for your guidance on getting the bear pet. I was able to go to the Nord beginner area and I eventually found the Arcodus - also picked up the Ice Drake there as well :) I cleared all the waypoints, POIs, and Hero Points there as well. The hearts will have to wait. While running around that zone I used the Axe/Dagger combo (not for any particular reason other than to try out some new skills). I like the Axe but was uninspired by the Dagger O/H.

I spent an inordinate amount of time studying the various weapon skills and all the specializations and utility skills trying to figure out a possible game plan. Here are my thoughts at this moment:

• I spec'd into Beastmastery and finally figured out the specifics on how you choose and assign them. It's starting to make more sense now. When I was looking at an end ability in one of the specialization and it said 60 points, I had previously thought that ONE skill was 60 points - as with the points associated with the others before it - and didn't realize when you click that skill for 60 points it includes all the skills in that line before it - LOL. I got all but the last 2 Beastmaster skills.
  • I also picked up the first 3 signets and also have Sic 'em.
  • Using the Axe and seeing the bleeds made me start thinking about a conditions build. I am going to run a bit tonight swapping between a Shortbow and an Axe/Torch and see how I like it. Of course, none of my gear has condition damage on it but if I like the play style, I'll start to choose that when it comes along.

I finished the second zone in my leveling progression from Divinity's Reach and noticed I should go to Gendarran Fields next (25-35). I'm level 26 right now. I also see Brisban Wildlands (15-25) adjacent to my last zone which has a ton of tamable Ranger pets in it so I may plow through that first while getting adjusted to the new weapon skills, etc.

Any further feedback appreciated.

If you end up liking the Condition Damage route, try to get Flame Trap and Viper's Nest (both in the Traps line), as they dole out some pretty nice damage on a fairly low cooldown. Need to be in melee range for it, though. Sun Spirit is a nice ability, as well, though it's at its best when you have allies around you to gain the buff as well. If you place it and immediately tell it to kill itself, you'll get a quick bit of Burning while the corpse continues to apply the buff for ten seconds. Yet another good ability is Sharpening Stone, under the Survival set.

As for specializations, consider going for Skirmishing if you find a Condition build appealing. The bottom Adept trait (Trapper's Expertise) decreases trap cooldowns and increases condition durations, the bottom Master trait (Hidden Barbs) makes Bleeding more effective, and the middle Grandmaster trait (Light on your Feet) gives a slew of bonuses to Shortbow, as well as increasing Condition Duration for a while after dodging.

Another update.... I am really loving the conditions build. I'm using short bow and axe/torch. I've got most of my gear swapped over to condition damage and precision. I was able to acquire several new pets to play around with but mostly have been using the Arctodus (bear). I finished the 3rd story arc this morning and am going to hit Gendarran Fields later today. I finished out Beastmastery and have some points to spend.

TOOLBOX - thanks for those suggestions. I'm, going to look into them later and may pick some up. I had already had my eye on Sharpening Stone. NOt sure if I'll like Traps or not but I may give it a go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Absolutely loving traps! And I haven't even spec'd into Skirmishing yet (soon). I feel like I can handle getting swarmed by groups of mobs much better now and I don't have to mostly burn them down one at a time. Loving the Ranger much more now. Thanks for all the good tips and suggestions.

Already have. I like it so far. As I approach a group of mobs I tag it with either SB #2 or Axe #2 to apply some bleeds and then get up on them and hit fire trap and viper trap or those two plus spike trap and healing spring if it’s a veteran or 3 or more mobs. Many encounters I don’t even use the traps because a single mob dies almost before I get to it. I’m 44 now and exited to get the skirmishing line added. I have the points to max it out and then either going to finish beastmastery for the strength of the pack elite or should I finish the other line and get entangling vines for the immobilize/bleed. Suggestions which might be better?

I'd go strength of the pack - it gives you stability (no knockdown, dazing, knock back, etc), fury (20% crit), and swiftness. Plus it gives you and your pet might each time you attack.

Entangling vines is good, but while levelling, probably better to go straight for the kill.

I don't know, I like Entangle over Strength of the Pack when I'm playing Condition Ranger in PvE. X) The Bleeding output is very high, it keeps mobile enemies in the trap fields, and the cooldown is lower. Strength of the Pack can certainly be potent, but it's not as good as a standalone ability; you want to use it when you use everything else to make maximum use of the Might alongside your traps and other cooldowns. Entangle, on the other hand, can be used while other things are on cooldown, and still quickly deal with low-end enemies.

Furthermore, the Wilderness Survival tree has a trait that improves Entangle's cooldown and makes it give Fury, as well as a trait that improves Poison damage, which makes it handy for condition builds. And if you reduce the cooldown of Entangle, that means Sharpening Stone also gets a lower cooldown and gives Fury. Quite handy.

Thanks, Ilurim and Toolbox. I will try both as I continue to level. I got the SotP trait last night but haven't used it yet (it was late) and I am 1 Hero Point away from being able to get Entangling Vines. That will be next. Then I'll start saving points for the Wilderness Survival line and spec that at 71. Do you think it is better for my build than the Beastmastery line? Maybe I'll swap Wilderness for it if I have the points for it before level 71 and then put Beastmastery back in once the third line opens up.

I am level 47 now and got some nice Ravager's gear and runes/sigils/jewels to slot in all my items. I think I should see some much higher DPS when I play tonight with the better gear and the new Wilderness line I spec'd. Can't wait. Thanks again!

If you're focusing on damage, then yeah, Wilderness Survival is probably a bit better. But Beastmastery isn't bad; you can essentially view your pet as another DoT, and Beastmastery makes them do more damage. The bottom two Grandmaster traits can be pretty nice for condition damage, and if you end up favoring Strength of the Pack over Entangle, the bottom Adept trait of Beastmastery can reduce Strength of the Pack's cooldown.

Also, I need to correct myself on something regarding Wilderness Survival... I hadn't realized that the trait that reduces Survival skill cooldowns is in the same tier as the one that increases Poison damage, so you can't take them together. :( Tad unfortunate.

Archived