Victory or Death dungeon motionless copter bug

Description: At the point at which the player is meant to board the copter at the front of the ship, the copter does not move to close the gap, and progress is impossible

Date/time: 1/26/18 approx 4:30pm PST

Character: Astomyth/lvl.80/human/engineer

Repro: 2x, 1st attempt with a group of 4 players, 2nd attempt with 3

Repro steps: 1. Enter Victory or Death instance

1. Play through normally until cinematic mentions copter
  2. Stare longingly at the copter that is out of reach
  3. Jump despairingly into the void

Additional notes: On the first play there was a second waypoint over Caithe but no special dialog, as well as an exit waypoint. On the second, there was no Caithe waypoint or exit. One player managed to leave the group on this play through. Two of us had to quit the game.

• ArenaNet Staff

We haven't been able to reproduce this bug in house after several attempts, both solo and in a group. I'm hoping to pick your brain for more information.

The sequence after boarding the airship is:

• The captain yells about minions ahead.
  • The airship comes to a stop with several Risen Orrian giants off the starboard side. You are given an objective to defeat them.
  • Using the shields on the ship's cannons, you deflect the giants' attacks back at them to defeat them.
  • This completes the objective "Use the cannons' reflection shield to defeat the Orrian giants."
  • The ship starts moving forward again, and a charr copter (which was hovering on top of a rock formation) also moves forward
  • When the copter reaches the end of its path, a short cutscene plays where Hassa Airthunder asks you to help secure a landing site
  • You can interact with the copter to move to the next phase of the story (you don't jump on it, when you get close you get an interact prompt to "Use Helicopter")

So I'm not sure what's breaking down. Is the charr copter never moving forward? Is the airship never moving forward? The Risen that attack the airship don't have any effect that I can see, only the giants affect the story progress.

I have pretty much the same issue. I can't see the giants to see when they are firing, but by keeping the shields up as much as I can. I get past that part of the story. Then it gets to the "Board the copter" and I never see a copter. There is nothing there for me to board. I have restarted the event a dozen times and always end up at the same place, NO copter to board. I jumped off hoping to land and see if that would work, I just die and can go back to the same bugged version or start a new event and end up at the same place, NO copter. I changed my video settings to see if that was the problem, but still NO copter. It appears the airship never moves as I now spotted the copter in the distance in front of the airship.

I have some information that may point toward the problem however it's not specifically in Arah Story instance but in the explorable version, as they're similair it might be relevant. In Arah explorable there's a few occasions where if some of the party try to progress the dungeon while at least one player is watching a cutscene, progress will be blocked. The example that springs to mind is in Arah Explorable Path 4 right at the start. To duplicate this particular issue:

1) Start the dungeon have 4 players start clearing the way forwards.2) Have 1 person (Player 1) stay behind and interact with the npc's so the party can choose path 4.3) Player 1 must watch the cutscenes without skipping them while the rest of the party clear the risen and then the champion that spawns.4) The party should arrive in the room with the 3 braziers but none of the 3 hounds of balthazar will be spawned so the boss can not be spawned and progress will be blocked until resetting the dungeon.

This may be relevant in duplicating the issue in arah story mode, ie: Have one tester always watch the cutscenes while the rest of the party press onwards or fool about with the map in any way that they can.

Archived