Mouse buttons do not work on startup

Seawied.6127

• 3 weeks later...

A friend had this exact problem due the Discord client imposing its overlay over GW2. If you go to the options, under "App Settings", in the "Overlay" section, you can disable this "feature." Discord can be running on your machine even if you don't realize it, due to one of its other options (where it minimizes itself to the system try; this can also be disabled).

If you aren't running Discord, there are other overlays that can affect where the mouse thinks its clicking, including ArcDPS, TACO and so on, although most of these aren't a problem, because you can alt-tab and alt-tab back to the game (so the "overlay" isn't the focus for your mouse any longer).

@Aduial.8537 said:OMG...That really worked! I thought I fixed all my settings in Discord.... wow... I don't know if that is the general solution for everyone here, but it worked for me! Cheers Illconceived Was Na.9781

Glad that was helpful! (Thank my friend, who did the troubleshooting. I'm just relaying the results of their, um, research.)

@"Bacardi Superior.3627" said:I had the same problem, I never had this before even with the overlay option turned on.

Overlays can be a little funky, because they actually do lay over the window of other apps. So sometimes you can click on the overlay without meaning to. If your mouse or keyboard has "application detection" (and some sort of indicator, e.g. color on my mouse), you can use that to tell if Windows (or OSX) thinks you're using the game or the overlay. Other than that, there's no good method to be certain that the apps confused each other.

Alt-tabbing should work 100% of the time, but Windows being Windows, it's probably more like 80-90% of the time until you alt-tab to some other (unrelated) app. Or sometimes you have to turn off the overlay program (or the program that spawned it) and try again.

Discord can be particularly insidious because, as mentioned above, it can be active on your machine without you realizing it (there are good reasons for it to do so, but I prefer my apps to announce themselves clearly, and not lurk in the background).

Archived