Gw2 seems to crash using Nvida GPU but works while using integrated GPU

Today I noticed that Gw2 was running with really low framerates, so I decided to try a few things in order to fix it. I tried disabling my integrated GPU in order to force the game to run on my Nvidia GPU, but then the game kept crashing while starting up. When I reversed it (disabling my Nvidia GPU while enabling the integrated GPU) the game worked but I got those low framerates again. So I believe something is going wrong if the game tries to use my Nvidia GPU and automatically switches to the integrated GPU instead when both are enabled.I haven't played Gw2 in a while so I don't know if it's related to the most recent patch. I also updated my Nvidia drivers today but that didn't fix the problem.

Dell XPS 15 9560 specs:NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Intel HD Graphics 630Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU16GB RamWindows 10 64 bit

Excelsior.

Your Dell is a laptop, right? How can it be a GTX1050? Isn't this a desktop GPU?I had trouble with that Optimus nonsense that happens to be on some laptops. It tries to save power by using integrated graphics of your CPU and switches to the dedicated GPU. This stuff has often changed with updates from either Windows (installing Intel drivers) or, of course, nVidia's own drivers.

I can imagine so many problems there of which I have no idea if it actually the case, for example the game checks for available graphic chips, finds two, one of which is disabled and thus crashes. That is also a personal experience with my older computers having two graphic cards (even dating back to 1999 with a VooDoo 2 hooked up to the mainboard): Games find several graphic adaptors, create a list, save it (in an .ini file for example) and expect that to be in place when launched. If you disable one, but it is in fact still available (says Windows) but disabled, it tries to use it and crashes. To me it feels like something on your system is expecting a certain graphic adapter and another part of the system is not passing over the right information.

Is this problem only happening in GW2?

Excelsior :)

Okay I see what you're saying, so I downloaded Battlefield 3 to make a comparison. After disabling my Intel GPU neither game would launch anymore (which really surprised me because this always used to work and is suggested on several forums). After enabling the Intel GPU both games would launch but Gw2 still has a very low frame rates, while Bf3 was running smoothly. So I'm guessing both games actually use my Nvidia card, but Gw2 has really low framerates all of a sudden...And the 1050 is in fact a laptop GPU btw :)

Archived