Extremely low fps issues

Hey all,

I've recently gotten a new PC, however for some reason I can't seem to break 20 fps in guild wars, even on minimum graphics settings, my old PC with even worse specs managed to run the game even better than this does. I've tried all of the usual stuff, installing new drivers, running as admin, setting guild wars to high priority and deleting local.dat, but nothing so far has made any reasonable difference to my fps in-game.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bitIntel I7 4770kGTX 97016GB DDR4 Ram

I've been watching the resources guild wars is taking up, my processor doesn't seem to be bottle necking, and is barely taking up any memory at all, the game is running off a 500gb SSD, however I've tried switching it to the HDD also, this hasn't made any difference aside from slower loading speeds.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this? I feel like I've wasted a lot of money considering this was supposed to be an "upgrade" to my old PC.

Thanks in advance!

Alright, so there's nothing wrong with your specs. I had the exact same problem when I got my new PC. What I found out in the end was my hardware wasn't supported by my operating system (I installed 8.1 but only 10 was supported) and it subsequently made all my games run like potato. So maybe it's your operating system? Windows 7 is quite old.

That's a possibility, which parts in particular should I be checking for compatibility, and is there an easy way to check if this is the case? I'd rather not install windows 10, even if only to check but I can do that if it's the only way to get this game running properly.

I've tried out a couple other games I had on the old hard drive, witcher 3, WoW, GTA5 and Subnautica and they all seem to be running pretty stable, mostly between 40-60fps, I've also just tried putting the graphics card into my old PC and running GW2, that gave me a pretty stable 30-40FPS in quiet areas, so that rules out the card I guess.

Download CPU-Z, launch GW2 and then CPU-Z and make sure your GPU is going into PCI-E 3.0 x16, like this. I haven't seen this issue for some time in the forums but it sounds strikingly familiar to GPUs not coming out of "idle" states by either not boosting clock speeds or by sticking in 1.0 x1 interface.

If it is running as outlined above, try toggling off nVidia processes like nVidia DVR/ansel.

So after downloading CPU-Z like you suggested, I discovered that the graphics card was fine and doing as it was supposed to. However, I spotted something on my CPU speeds that seemed out of place on CPU-Z, the clock was locked at 800MHz and wouldn't move out of that region no matter what I did, no matter how much I did to stress it, it wouldn't move out of that region.

After a bit more digging I discovered there was a switch flipped to it's second position on the motherboard called "TGI", which effectively made the motherboard lock in at the lowest CPU ratio defined by the CPU, after switching this to it's 1 position the CPU started performing again at it's intended speeds and Guild Wars 2 is running at a pretty smooth 40FPS at max settings.

Thanks for all the help, I really doubt I would have caught on to that if it wasn't for the suggestion of downloading CPU-Z!

If you want, you can use the settings that I use. These settings allow for constant high FPS with little to no drops, even in World PvE.

General options

• Collision sensitivity: Lowest
  • Field of view: Highest

Graphics options

• Animation: Low
  • Anti-Aliasing: SMAA Low
  • Environment: Low
  • LOD Distance: Low
  • Reflections: None
  • Textures: Low
  • Render Sampling: Native
  • Shadows: None
  • Shaders: Low
  • Post-Processing: None
  • Character Model Limit: Lowest
  • Character Model Quality: Medium
  • Ambient Occlusion: Disabled
  • Best Texture Filtering: Disabled
  • Depth Blur: Disabled
  • Effect LOD: Enabled
  • High-Res Character Textures: Disabled
  • Light Adaptation: Enabled
  • Vertical Sync: Disabled
  • Motion Blur Power: Lowest

@Sqwiggles.8649 said:after switching this to it's 1 position the CPU started performing again at it's intended speeds and Guild Wars 2 is running at a pretty smooth 40FPS at max settings.

Thanks for all the help, I really doubt I would have caught on to that if it wasn't for the suggestion of downloading CPU-Z!

Awesome! Glad you caught that because I might have missed it even if you linked a screenshot of CPU-Z.

Archived