Getting Massive Ping Spikes from SEA

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

The problem is not in AWS. Sorry for the unclear language. The issue happens before your packets get to the Amazon network.where do you think the problem is tho? based on the picture, so its possible because 1% loss on my side then the packet loss on amazon can reach 58% loss? ip 54.239.43.60

That is almost certainly a problem with either the cable, or the router. Because, yes, you should have zero packet loss inside your own network if you are on a wired connection. (If you are using wireless that can see some packet loss without it being a huge thing.)

From what we see here, you definitely have some issue on your internal network: that steady one percent packet loss.

I also suspect you have
two
problems. One there, and maybe a second problem somewhere else. So, if we fix the first problem, then we can see if the second one really exists, or was just caused by the first. Until then, we can't be sure.

The machines with 100 percent packet loss? Disregard those. They are just not bothering to respond to the debug packets, but they work fine. They would only show a problem if every machine after them was failing. (...or you couldn't connect at all. :)

I know that machine with 100% packet loss is either refuse ping or broken lol.

Cool! Lots of people don't, so I'm sorry if I explained the obvious to you. :)

Well what makes me confused tho that in recent winmtr even with that 1% loss on my side. The game play fine tho, no lag on browsing too.

Yeah, this whole thing is pretty puzzling to me. If it wasn't for that persistent packet loss, which
normally
correlates to a network problem, I'd be saying you should email ANet support about server-side issues. (...or install ArcDPS and confirm if it is server load by watching the "server tick rate" indicator it has.)

If i use ping plotter is it possible to know how often that 1% packet loss on my router happen?

Yeah, PingPlotter has a nice graphical display of "pings over time", which means you can see if it is a big cluster in time, or spread out, or whatever. I definitely like it for that feature alone compared to WinMTR: it can make it super-obvious that, say, your cable provider is dropping the connection every 60 seconds, on the dot, and it takes 10 seconds for the modem to resync. Not that I had that happen to me or anything. ;)

well today so far no lag when i play, i dont know about tomorrow, so i run pingplotter 3 times today to the same ping that i got from /ip in game. 1st run no packet loss on 1st hops since i set the interval to default 2.5sec (winmtr interval is default 1sec) . 2nd run i set interval to 1sec and no packet loss on 1st hop. for the 3rd run its still set to 1sec interval and theres packet loss about 0.7 show up on pingplotter interface(well maybe winmtr round up the number to 1%) after the run end the packet loss only left at 0.2% .3rd run pingplotter running http://i.imgur.com/Jgzrcn0.jpg3rd run pingplotter end result http://i.imgur.com/gEosZNj.jpg i put the arrow on packet loss for 1st hop, can only see 1 happening so far

so each run last for 10mins. from what i see i click on hop 1 and check the time graph, the packet loss only happen once on hop 1. once again i confirm that this run is done when gw2 no lag at all. so i dont know if the packet loss on hop 1 only gonna happen once or not if gw2 is lag

now my question is lets say gw2 is lag, then i run pingplotter and the result on pingplotter run is the same as this winmtr run https://i.imgur.com/nDFghJr.jpg (so the packet loss is the same) but the time graph on hop 1 only show that packet loss only happened once.is it safe to say that the lag caused by amazon server if amazon server time graph show more packet loss happened?(based on the picture above the loss on some hops with amazon ip is around 30-50%)? since packet loss only happened once on my network side and amazon hops have more or is there something else to consider? ( well its only a scenario, i just want to know which one at fault if something like this happened again later)

if the packet loss only happened once based on pingplotter time graph, theres no way it can make me lag on gw2 for the whole 10-15min gameplay right?and how to make pingplotter run more than 10min? is 10min run usually enough to identify the problem?

Archived