Every build puts files on my desktop-help!

I just got a new laptop and had the worst time downloading the game (error-run as admin). I finally got it on my desktop and now EVERY build puts a third party software text file on my desktop-a Gw2.dat file on and a Gw2.tmp file on my desktop screen. Then I tried to move the dat file to a GW BS folder, when I chose "replace the existing file with this name" it wiped out the build that took an hour to put on at 5mbps download. There is also a GW2-64.exe file on the desktop in addition to the official log in logo icon-help! How do I stop these files posting to my desktop? WARNING-non technical person here. Please explain like I'm a toddler...

It sounds like you're launching Gw2.exe from your desktop. The files it downloads are Gw2-64.exe, Gw2.tmp, Gw2.dat, THIRDPARTYSOFTWAREREADME.txt and the folders bin and bin64, which would normally be located in the same folder you're launching GW2 from. Gw2.dat specifically is all of the game's data, so moving it would cause it to re-download the entire game.

Put Gw2-64.exe in the same folder as Gw2.dat. It sounds like a random folder, so if you want, move it somewhere else like C:\Games\Guild Wars 2. If it keeps the files within that folder, delete your desktop shortcut and recreate it by right clicking Gw2-64.exe and selecting Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

Archived