Critique my Roam Holosmith build, please.

Odokuro.5049

gw2skills.net/editor/?vdIQJAsenUUBlXh1XBGJD0ehlJDDs6kdCJ9dwRYKUsZUACAA-jFCEAB+ruCTK/cXPRiqU8wJAYLlg/s/AAPAg3BCArCap22aabbbbFCQwYA-w

So I have seen countless, "Rifle" Holosmith builds for roaming in WvW, I really want to use the Sword/shield combo once I get to the point where I can fully unlock Holosmith. I was wondering what changes could be made to this build that may help it perform better?

I was interested in trying to keep my HP at 20k with adequate crit chance/damage, and ofcoarse attack power.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, you really have to build more like a bruiser to make sword effective. Your current setup is fairly glassy and will get kited easily. I’d suggest dropping the Firearm traitline for Inventions (and essentially swap to conversion traits for the synergy between Inventions and Alchemy), and also swapping out your rune set for Durability. Then I’d swap Photon Wall and Elixer S out for Hard Light Arena and Elixer Gun (or Thumper Turret). Elixer U can stay for the stunbreak, quickness, and stability cover for important skills like your heal.

Both builds still have the glaring weakness of a lack of ranged damage, but at least you’ll have some sustain now. The lack of ranged damage is why players opt for using rifle (and even pistol, which hits like a wet noodle... but it still can land damage at a range).

I run the alchemy/inventions in pvp with sword shield. I agree, HLA, thumper turret and elixir u is the way to go. Stun breaks with stability will save you, the aoe protection is nice. I still think marauder with durability runes is the way to go. I run knights with strength runes and mixture of soldiers and zerkers back pieces which works okay. I like 20,000 health and 2800 armor and then whatever I can get in power, precision and ferocity. Iron blooded trait works really well with this build as you can keep up quite a few boons. Very weak against boon corrupt though.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdEQJAsenEIDFJjlID2IDcJjFDDr/G2DHiipjPwAKMAMO6LA-jFCEQBA4EAwQlHwb/BX+AAyoSwEp+Tb0DwElYBAQAuZbGA38m38m38mddbmNzm38mJFgqbtA-w

I use this build primarily for frontline in zergs but it translates very well to small scale and roaming. The only real issue is that it has relatively low mobility and you have to avoid using your stunbreak if you're below 50% Heat and you don't absolutely need to use it.

Otherwise, it has an absurd amount of damage reduction and overall durability, very high condition cleanse/resistance and can pump out a ton of damage post-50% Heat. Sword auto attacks can reach as high as 8k on squishy targets after you've built enough Might and Heat and the sword #2 skill + Particle Accelerator at the same time is a pretty disgusting burst.

Some people may prefer Healing Turret over Coolant Blast but I find that you'll often be above 50% Heat anyway (if you're rotating in and out of Forge properly) which will give you a flat 6 condition cleanse with Cauterize and a very potent heal over time. The heal itself also happens to be a Blast Finisher which you can use in Hard Light Arena to give yourself Light Aura.

The Pistol/Shield variant of this build is slightly stronger but I believe this build has better damage and damage reduction. This build is just a little more punishing because it doesn't have as many get out of jail free cards.

Archived