(WVW) DH vs Core guard from perspective of roaming

kiranslee.4829

@Nordic Natedog.4360 said:

ToF wombo combo is not the only bursts that DH has, it is just the most common to find people playing. To take the DH specialization, you have 1 less core trait line you can take and often that leaves out valor, honor, or even both. Which are the defensive based traits can be had for guardian. DH then can build from the skill set that core has by adding traps into it while adding either stacks of vulnerability to his foe (thanks to zealots aggression - dulled senses combination), turn their F2 into an offensive skill (soaring devastation), and/or add big game hunter which can absolutely destroy foes after its resent buff.

ZA, DS and BGH are massive Boosts to the DMG-Potential of the DH, the damage you can deal out with sword 3 or scepter 2 is insame - even safer dealed with a dose of scepter 3^^. Imo the DH has a clear advantage over Core sustainwise, while 'just' sacrificing a bit of power.Tbh I took ToF completely out, because too many people are aware of ToF and I prefer the sustain by another medi while roaming

@Shadow.9641 said:

ToF wombo combo is not the only bursts that DH has, it is just the most common to find people playing. To take the DH specialization, you have 1 less core trait line you can take and often that leaves out valor, honor, or even both. Which are the defensive based traits can be had for guardian. DH then can build from the skill set that core has by adding traps into it while adding either stacks of vulnerability to his foe (thanks to
zealots aggression - dulled senses
combination), turn their F2 into an offensive skill (soaring devastation), and/or add
big game hunter
which can absolutely destroy foes after its resent buff.

ZA, DS and BGH are massive Boosts to the DMG-Potential of the DH, the damage you can deal out with sword 3 or scepter 2 is insame - even safer dealed with a dose of scepter 3^^. Imo the DH has a clear advantage over Core sustainwise, while 'just' sacrificing a bit of power.Tbh I took ToF completely out, because too many people are aware of ToF and I prefer the sustain by another medi while roaming

Sure, but now we move into the territory of off-meta builds. I won't deny these builds can pull off nice number and decent bursts, but if we're talking LB medi-trapper (which imo is the most effective DH roaming build if we're considering most situations), you're not going to be dropping Heavy Light for BGH, you're not going to be taking SD (trust me, you lose quite a bit by not having traps traited) and between trueshot, sword 2 and sword 3 (your biggest sources of damage aside from ToF), you won't be able to deal enough damage to kill a well-built roamer. I would know since I tried hard to make this a thing. It only had mild success against the glassiest of builds (sic em soulbeast, power mirage and thieves) and did considerably worse against all other roamers.

I actually enjoy running a melee-based and trapless DH with GS. It doesn't use any traps and has a burst much stronger than LB DH but at the cost of some sustain since most of the burst is melee-based. It has really great 1v1 matchups and great ability to peel but suffers in group fights due to it having to go into melee-range for bursts

@Arcaedus.7290 said:

Sure, but now we move into the territory of off-meta builds. I won't deny these builds can pull off nice number and decent bursts, but if we're talking LB medi-trapper (which imo is the most effective DH roaming build if we're considering most situations), you're not going to be dropping Heavy Light for BGH, you're not going to be taking SD (trust me, you lose quite a bit by not having traps traited) and between trueshot, sword 2 and sword 3 (your biggest sources of damage aside from ToF), you won't be able to deal enough damage to kill a well-built roamer. I would know since I tried hard to make this a thing. It only had mild success against the glassiest of builds (sic em soulbeast, power mirage and thieves) and did considerably worse against all other roamers.

I actually enjoy running a melee-based and trapless DH with GS. It doesn't use any traps and has a burst much stronger than LB DH but at the cost of some sustain since most of the burst is melee-based. It has really great 1v1 matchups and great ability to peel but suffers in group fights due to it having to go into melee-range for bursts

To clarify, I'm also running full melee(burst), full medi(sustain) DH, because LB isn´t my thingie. As you said, this way is great in 1v1 and when surfing a zerg but in real groupfights aka havoc it is tricky - because of that I prefer the scepter a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, do you mind sharing your DH melee builds? with and without traps. I am currently running trap DH melee with SC(air)-FO(blood) + SW(air)-SH(vision) (full marauder + rune of fireworks) but I am looking for inspiration - I would like to use GS a bit more, thanks in advance

Archived