Why there isnt any guild wars in guild wars ?

@Redfeather.6401 said:

@"Tasty Pudding.3764" said:

"Guild Wars" 2003. Lots of talk about being in a guild and fighting as a guild. No talk of any lore.

omg I bet the name is the result of owning rights to it even though the game had a vision change and turned out to be very different.

Ive tried to explain that entire concept once in a thread similiar to this and the argument went back and forth. The game that was envisioned with the title Guild Wars never made it to launch and as such the name is from both owning the rights and from the in game event, not a game that doesnt exist.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:For as long as this game is called guild wars, people will find the lack of guild content updates ironic. This is because the guild wars are something you wouldn't know about unless you checked the wiki or played gw1 (it wasn't really relevant there, either).

Not having played GW1, I wouldn't know, but you're definitely not the first person I've heard mention that even GW1 didn't really give people much lore backing to the "Guild Wars" concept.

As a new player 4-5 years ago, after I first found out what the "guild wars" actually were, I used to think it would be a good idea to introduce that concept by somehow throwing in an explanation of it into every new character intro cinematic. But over the years, I've come to appreciate just how deeply human-centric that story is, and while something like that might have worked in GW1, I really don't think there's a smart way to pull that off in GW2.

Honestly I think the best thing would be to have more city and starter area NPCs mention them, and if a new player gets curious enough to talk to one of them, they can be directed to the Priory (or whatever more scholarly npc that area might have) for a racially-themed explanation of the guild wars.

in GW1 they did explain exactly that. The opening cutscene if i recall explains the lore, though there isnt much to it aside from "The guilds fought in the past, Charr invaded, over ran Ascalon, and Orr was Sunk in the end".. in Guild Wars 2 the whole lore of the Guild Wars isnt as important(it is mentioned somewhere in game, i cannot remember where exactly.) as it is for people to know it is a sequel to the first game.

• 1 year later...

im not gonna lie i really miss the ladder system for gvg and the hall of heroes as well as the hero battles. I had three seperate competitive ladders to climb and titles to collect. I joined a guild as a prot monk called tombs is srs business IWAY and i won many hall of heroes matches with them... so fun . Then i believe we made it to rank 232 . they had gotten a bronze cape before me. I really miss this game....... the competitive tactical nature was so fun and i loved the 8v8.

Personally I was thinking the story was going to involve another "Guild Wars" at one point. The war would've been between our pc's guild, Dragons Watch, and Braham's version of Destiny's Edge as it sounded at one point he was going carry that guilds name on as he went to recruit other Norn and warriors to go after Jormag. But obviously after the events of season 4 and IBS, that thought is gone.

Maybe they can try to add a GvG mode with the PvP, but I'm thinking that Anet believes that is what WvW is for as guilds can claim keeps and such, but who knows at this point anymore.