My Story: Chapter 8: Temple of the Forgotten God - Crucial cutscene didn't play, locking a door

During my first playthrough of this content, I interacted with a magical structure that spawns an enemy to defeat in order to get a key to place on a sparkly location. I placed the key on the sparkly location while enemies were nearby and the cutscene to show a door opening never played, rendering me unable to progress further because this prevented the door from opening.

This time, there is no cutscene to show you where to go next. You might find yourself apparently stuck in a room with a circular ramp above water and unable to jump up, the cause of much frustration with this dungeon. This is because you went too far. Go back and look in the central area, swimming along the upper walls. Compared to the other passages you have seen, the next passage is a much smaller open opening to the Southwest half obscured by some giant glowing purple barnacles. You'll know it's the correct one when some enemies come out on ground level; defeat them.

Interesting, if this is what I was failing to do than that's likely because of the quest marker being placed directly behind the same kind of door structure that opens the first time you place an Orb in a receptacle. This, the lack of a cutscene and the previous bugs I've been encountering in story chapters mislead me.