FPS, V-Sync, and CPU workload?

Pardon the generalized title, I just couldn't summarize my question in a sentence.

Laptop spec:Intel i3-4010U 1.7GHz, GeForce GT 720M, 4GB DDR3

As one could tell I should definitely run gw2 in nearly lowest possible game settings, and I currently am doing so.

HWMonitor states my CPU temperature goes over 80 degrees celsius and GPU temperature exceeding 90 degrees celsius after a non-daily-required Behemoth world boss fight.

I want to have my laptop "work lesser" as much as possible to run gw2. I have tried two different settings around these aspects:

1. Unlimited (no cap) FPS, Windowed Borderless, V-Sync Off.

2. Unlimited (no cap) FPS, Fullscreen, V-Sync On.

Note: [unbearable screen tearing if FPS capped at 30, V-Sync Off, and on Fullscreen]

The first combination gives 5-10 more FPS than the second in a secluded area in Claypool Town. The 'Unlimited FPS' setting are only set for testing purposes and I will ultimately revert it back to capped 30 FPS for daily play (less noisy GPU, less physically-felt heat generated).

Now here comes the question: We know the first setting combination gives higher FPS, does it mean that my laptop "works lesser"? Like if i revert back to capped 30 FPS?

So far I haven't noticed any significant gameplay differences (lag/stutter, etc) from the two setting combinations, nor have i constantly check with HWMonitor for the temperature readings nor felt the difference in GPU noise, physical laptop temperature, etc - But I want to know, theoretically, does the first setting combination allows my laptop to "work less harder" just purely based on the higher unlimited/not-capped FPS reading?

Additionally, I've heard turning V-sync On gives "better performance" and/or smoother gameplay, could someone clarify based on my statements above?

Thanks in advance.

Your specifications are pretty much the minimum requirements for Guild Wars 2 which don't take into account the resources required by your laptop Operating System and any additional software such as Antivirus and other background applications. As a result, even on lowest settings your laptop is going to be pushing itself to the limits to play the game so I don't think there will be much you can do to make it "work lesser" and any significant change will likely result in the game being almost unplayable.

Extra RAM will help a bit (especially if running a 64-Bit Operating System) but the CPU and Graphics card is still going to be a bottleneck.

V-Sync can help with performance in some cases as it synchronises the frame rate of the application to the monitor, however if the monitor has a low refresh rate this can result in lower frame rates and a poor experience.

@"zanoao.8546" said:Laptop spec:Intel i3-4010U 1.7GHz, GeForce GT 720M, 4GB DDR3That's an interesting combination, because the integrated GPU of your CPU performs pretty much the same like your dedicated geforce. To put both into one laptop was pretty pointless.

1. Unlimited (no cap) FPS, Windowed Borderless, V-Sync Off.Borderless window applies vsync with real triple buffering (you can not disable it ; it is forced via the windows display engine ; the ingame vsync option does nothing in this case). This means your frames are synchronized with your display refresh rate, but not capped at your refresh rate (e.g. 60Hz = 60 fps).

If you want to safe energy, this is a bad option. But anyway should not make a difference in your case, since I guess you can't even reach more than 60 fps, so that whether there exists a cap or not does not matter for you.

1. Unlimited (no cap) FPS, Fullscreen, V-Sync On.VSync in exclusive fullscreen in a direct x game like gw2 uses common triple buffering (render ahead queue), which caps your fps at your refresh rate. That's your best option when you want to safe energy and avoid tearing. But like above, if you can't reach 60 fps, it does not make a difference.

The drawbacks of both these options are high input lag and vsync judder below your monitor refresh rate.

You can limit your fps to 30 in the options menu, but then you will get tearing with vsync off and judder with vsync on. Another option you could try is to enable half refresh rate vsync in the nvidia driver and enable vsync ingame to synchronize your fps at 30 to your refresh rate. So each frame should be displayed for 33 milliseconds (but your input lag will be terrible).

Now here comes the question: We know the first setting combination gives higher FPS, does it mean that my laptop "works lesser"? Like if i revert back to capped 30 FPS?Option 2 is faster, as exclusive fullscreen has always a better performance than borderless window. That's why it exists in the first place. So capping your fps to 30 in exclusive fullscreen safes energy and produces less heat. But don't expect too much of an impact from that.

Your laptop works lesser, when something in the rendering pipeline produces idle times. This is usually achieved with an fps cap - at best in the driver or via riva tuner statistics server. An ingame cap is usually less effective in slowing the game engine down.

Additionally, I've heard turning V-sync On gives "better performance" and/or smoother gameplay, could someone clarify based on my statements above?The render ahead queue mentioned above renders 3 frames ahead, which smoothens frame pacing issues (stutters). So you get a very stable frame pacing, but only if you are in the fps cap of your refresh rate. When your fps are below your refresh rate, you get judder which is not smooth at all. The drawback is that your on-screen visible input is 3 frames behind, which is noticeable esp. at lower frame rates. E.g. at 30 fps enabling vsync with cTB will produce roughly an additional 100ms of input lag.