Forum poll result peeking/stuffing concern

StinVec.3621

I do not understand the logic behind allowing people to view the poll results and then permitting them to be able to go back and cast a vote.

As it is now, polls are essentially meaningless due to people being able to see what 'needs' more votes and their being able to proceed and 'stuff the box', or to intentionally vote for whichever option has the fewest just because.

It should offer you the choice to view the results, but doing so without voting will prevent you from being able to cast a vote as it is with most every online poll.

• I request altering the 'View Results' button so that it casts a vote for a hidden option that isn't counted. This way you are forgoing casting a vote in order to just see the results, but you are not able to go back and cast a vote as your vote was technically already cast. I believe this would be the quickest and easiest way to correct this issue and it takes very little time at all to code, test and implement.

(edited title to 'concern' instead of issue, as some may not see it as an issue, but I am concerned about it becoming one)

@Helbjorne.9368 said:To be fair, I can't really see anyone doing this.

I understand. Perhaps not many would in a malicious/trolling sense. However, could you see someone simply looking to see what the popular vote is for and then proceeding to vote for it just because that is what everyone else is voting for, thus skewing the poll results?

@StinVec.3621 said:

@Helbjorne.9368 said:To be fair, I can't really see anyone doing this.

I understand. Perhaps not many would in a malicious/trolling sense. However, could you see someone simply looking to see what the popular vote is for and then proceeding to vote for it just because that is what everyone else is voting for, thus skewing the poll results?

I can see some doing that, but I would like to think that most people on the forums are here because they want to contribute to the community, but that may just be wishful thinking. Maybe an easier option would be to remove the 'View Results' option entirely, and only allow those who voted view the results?

For me, viewing the results would not influence my vote. Reading all the posts, might, but the poll is at the top, and the results may or may not influence whether I'm even that interested in the topic.

I suppose I'm really ambivalent about whether the option is changed/removed, but I don't really see the harm in keeping it the way it is.

Good luck.

Another forum I use will allow you to view the results, but warns you that doing so will block you from voting. One possible option.

Since (let's be honest) polls here have no real importance, why not let someone see what the answers are? Sure, some people's votes may be influenced by what the popular or unpopular results are. But frankly--so what? A few people might change their votes? Leading to the collapse of human civilization and the destruction of all life in the universe? Making the staff believe that15% of players want fluffy plush pillows for weapons?

Archived