Can't leave Bjora Marches - client crash

I have this problem for quite some time now, but it seems to be getting worse. I can log in on my two characters on the map and play on the map without issues. But when I try to leave it I get a client crash during the loading screen. Usually trying again and again for a few minutes gets the character unstuck, but on some days I have to give up, do some daily stuff on other characters and try again later. It doesn't matter how I try to leave the map. I tested guild hall, Lily of Elon, waypoints, tome to other LS maps, WvW, PvP lobby and even the strike entrance. Nothing works. I have occasionally even got a crash when I just went back to the character select screen. The only other map I have experienced this was Lake Doric on my alt account. Every other map seems to be fine. I have sent the client crash report a few times. I have tried -repair and I have tried to change my graphics settings, but it didn't help.

I do not use any third party add-ons nor overlays, so they can't be the cause. I play on Linux, using Lutris (Wine+DXVK), but when my other account was stuck on Lake Doric a while ago I tested with a very different wine setup (without Lutris and without DXVK) and did not see any difference. While it is still possible that this causes my problems I highly doubt it. I don't have a windows to test with, though.

I do not see a pattern what changes when I do get my characters back after many tries. But usually if one character crashes the other crashes, too, and when one character is free the other can leave, too. So there might be a time based component, maybe some event running or not running. And once they are free they can go wherever I want them to - as I said: other maps are not so clingy.

Sure, I could just not go to the map, but then I'd be missing out on certain loot. But this gets so ridiculous, I'm tempted just give up any missing achievements and collection items and never return to this area.

@"Killerassel.2197" said:I have this problem for quite some time now, but it seems to be getting worse. I can log in on my two characters on the map and play on the map without issues. But when I try to leave it I get a client crash during the loading screen. Usually trying again and again for a few minutes gets the character unstuck, but on some days I have to give up, do some daily stuff on other characters and try again later. It doesn't matter how I try to leave the map. I tested guild hall, Lily of Elon, waypoints, tome to other LS maps, WvW, PvP lobby and even the strike entrance. Nothing works. I have occasionally even got a crash when I just went back to the character select screen. The only other map I have experienced this was Lake Doric on my alt account. Every other map seems to be fine. I have sent the client crash report a few times. I have tried -repair and I have tried to change my graphics settings, but it didn't help.

I do not use any third party add-ons nor overlays, so they can't be the cause. I play on Linux, using Lutris (Wine+DXVK), but when my other account was stuck on Lake Doric a while ago I tested with a very different wine setup (without Lutris and without DXVK) and did not see any difference. While it is still possible that this causes my problems I highly doubt it. I don't have a windows to test with, though.

I do not see a pattern what changes when I do get my characters back after many tries. But usually if one character crashes the other crashes, too, and when one character is free the other can leave, too. So there might be a time based component, maybe some event running or not running. And once they are free they can go wherever I want them to - as I said: other maps are not so clingy.

Sure, I could just not go to the map, but then I'd be missing out on certain loot. But this gets so ridiculous, I'm tempted just give up any missing achievements and collection items and never return to this area.

you can try a few things.one, disable dxvk and run with wined3d (opengl), turn off esync, fsync, futex2 and use your system wine version not lutris' runner. see if you will crash. if basic wine causes you crashes, try running again with the same configuration but add WINEDEBUG=fixme-all,warn+cursorand enable the lutris logging console to see what causes the crash from wine

two, if wined3d + running the basic wine setup doesnt crash your game then try removing dxvk's cache to have it generate a new one. add the env variable DXVK_LOG_LEVEL=debug, start the game with dxvk and esync and open lutris's logging console while the game runs try to make it crash. if it's dxvk, the console will report what caused the crash with dxvk's logging function.

you can also try generating a new prefix for the game, since you may have tried a wine version or wine build that has messed with the configuration and may be causing issues. it's best to do a full reinstall/redownload of gw2 as well when doing this.

basically you work your way up and identify if it's your wine version, dxvk, or performance patches (esync, fsync, futex2) that causes crashes.

once you identify the issue, you can try running it on the most basic setup (non lutris wine, no esync/fsync/futex2, use wined3d) and "rescue" your character, bring them to another map. then file a bug report to the respective place (winehq for wine, dxvk github for dxvk, etc.). you can also inquire on the Lutris discord or the VKx discord for issues that you believe are linux specific for a second opinion (or an actual, working solution)

edit: and lastly if you've exhausted all of that and all seems normal, then it may be an account (character) specific issue which you should contact support for.

Thanks for the answers. Yesterday after writing the forum post I could leave the map and play normally. Next time I get this issue I'll add a copy of the details in this thread. Following my usual play pattern I expect that to happen tomorrow.

I can try Astyrah's suggestions the next time. However, when my alt account's main character was stuck in Lake Doric for a few days I already tried some of them. I had tried using plain system wine, without DXVK and without the esync/fsync etc patches built in. Made no difference. I have installed GW2 twice in Lutris in order to multibox with my two accounts. They do not share the same prefix, only the gw2.dat via symlink. (-shareArchive should prevent issues here.) I'll try again, but AFAIK both are equally affected, so probably not the wine prefix' fault.

While a cache issue is possible, I doubt it. Not only because non-DXVK crashed while trying to leave Lake Doric in the past, and I assume my current Bjora Marches problem has the same root cause. It is quite apparent that my problem is in leaving the map. In other words unloading data, not loading data for the next map. When a character is stuck I can log in to that character without problems. I can also log in to a character who already stands or ports to one of the maps my stuck character cannot go to. If the problem was with an item/skin/shader of the character or an asset/shader of the target map that should also crash the client. So it looks more like a use-after-free error, a broken destructor or something like that. Especially since I had a crash when logging out to the character select screen.

I had contacted support when my character was stuck on Lake Doric. I don't see the point of trying again and rather keep trying for half an hour every other day. I had described my problem and asked them to just move my character to another map. From their responses I can only conclude they didn't even read my ticket. The problem then solved itself. I kept trying and one day I could just port.

I could get the client to crash again today. Unfortunately I was a bit short on time, so I couldn't experiment with different wine settings etc. and when I later tried, it didn't crash again. This time the crash definitely happened when going back to character select, not while loading the next map.

Crash report:

--> Crash <--Assertion: m_notify.IsEmpty()File: ......\Game\Combat\Cli\CmbtCliBreakBar.cpp(40)App: Gw2-64.exePid: 43BaseAddr: 0000000140000000ProgramId: 101Build: 114188When: 2021-04-19T17:24:31Z 2021-04-19T19:24:31+02:00Uptime: 0 days 0:05:46Flags: 0DumpFile: Crash.dmp

Memory usage 54%.

--> Game Context <--MapId: 1343Flags: 0x241ElapsedTime: 00:00:34

Last entries of Error Logs, two seconds before the crash:

17:24:29Z Texture '0x03539b' dimensions too small17:24:29Z Loading '0x03539b' texture failedCrashed at 17:24:31Z

I had sent a full crash report multiple times earlier.

the crash appears to be related to the client interface / ui. short of asking you generate a new prefix and reinstalling the game again, here's a few things you can try:

1. a new wine version - as with every new version of wine, there may be unintended regressions and unintended bug fixes. if you're not on the latest 6.6-staging commit yet, try that. you can compile wine 6.6 with the latest commits from the tkg and wine-staging patchsets and see if you have a more stable environment for gw2. lutris (as you mention you use it) tends to not update wine and stay on old versions for the most compatibility with all games, right now it's latest is 6.4 where gw2 still has a login issue regression which was fixed in 6.5.

2. this is unlikely, but if you were dual booting and had an ntfs drive for storage, then try using your ext4 drives/partitions for your wineprefix and game data.

3. make sure you own the wineprefix and all subfolders and files -- and have full permissions on it.