[Suggestion] Twisted Marionette and Squad Functionality

After reading Woop S.7851's post of a similar yet distinct plea regarding Squad functionality needs, I have determined my thoughts are sufficiently different and intertwined with a different and specific content experience it merits its own concise post.

Based on observations I've had while running the Twisted Marionette's almost perfect squad level content, and my experiences leading Bounty Tours and other similar large squad activities, here are some adjustments that seem much needed for Squad/Commander Tag functionality:

Firstly, Squads need to be larger. 
Please increase the player limit in Squads to at least 75 (if not 100). This will allow for 3 (up to 4 if set to 100 total) people per platform in the Boss Phases of the Twisted Marionette (instead of the current 2 per platform maximum) and enable better group engagement in any future, equally complex content you wish to release. 
As far as I can recall and determine, Champions were never meant to be solo'd or even duo'd, they were the original Group Content and I believe it is reasonable to hold onto that design choice. Which means we cannot limit the Boss Phases of Twisted Marionette to 2 players per Champion, there must be at least 3 people for it to be considered a 'Group'.

(A larger squad size enabling tiny groups of at least 3 per platform during the Boss Phases will help avoid scenarios where players are excluded from the content if they are not running a specific class and build, IE an all-Scourge squad, which runs contrary to GW2's philosophy of play what you enjoy.)

For implementation: I ask that this upgrade be applied to the Catmander Compendium purchase, and not to the general Commander Compendium (leave that one at the ability to lead 50-player sized Squads).
Ideally, the Catmander Compendium should require one to already have the Commander Compendium - which should still cost the 300g as has already been designated as the value for being able to lead 50-player Squads - while the Catmander Compendium would then continue to cost an additional 150g + 250 Badges of Honor, as has been set as its designated value. This will provide a stronger value/reason to get the Catmander Tag in addition to the general Commander Tag by granting a gradual increase in Squad capacity and potential in reward for the player exerting more effort/funds to acquire it and therefore more merit for said increase and the responsibility that comes with that.
This will mean that the total price to unlock the capacity to lead a 75-player squad would be 450g + 250 Badges of Honor, which is a reasonable requirement given the current arrangement. (Make it 600g + 250 Badges of Honor for the ability to lead a 100-player Squad if you see fit, that would still be reasonable under current standards and maintain a decent gold sink in addition to encouraging at least experiencing the gameplay of both PvE and WvW game modes.)

I saw recommended elsewhere that the Gate entry timer during the Boss Phases of the Twisted Marionette needs to be extended, or at least not started until at least one player is loaded onto each of the 5 platforms. This suggestion I would like to second as a reasonable final tweak in addition to the Squad size increase request which will likely resolve the majority of concerns regarding this content.

Now for improvements that are needed regardless of squad size:

We need 1 more Marker (affectionately known as Rainbow Rights). 
Alt+0 can be used to clear all instead of Alt+9; giving us a total of 9 lights instead of 8. 
Orange is a good choice for the presently missing color, and a Diamond, Trefoil, or Pentagon would work well as a distinct shape option for it.

Also regarding Markers: Object Markers need to stay where they are placed until removed rather than the current range based fall-off. It often comes to pass during activities/combat that the Commander gets too far away from where the Object Marker was placed and it disappears, causing a loss in coordination.

Next, the in-world Nameplate and allied Map Dot colors need better distinction.

For Guild Members the Nameplate, Guild Chat, and Map Dots are Gold.
For Party Members the Nameplate, Party Chat, and Map Dots are Blue.
For Squad Members the Nameplate and Map Dots need to match the Squad Chat color: Pale Green.
This is a distinct enough shade from the Teal of non-grouped allied players and the Dark Green of friendly NPCs that it will make a massive difference in distinction and coordination during fast-action, high on-screen information scenarios. 
Subgroups of a Squad should remain the same Blue in Nameplates, Chat, and Map Dots as regular Party colors already are.

In need of particular loving support: Lieutenants.
Lieutenants need an in-world Sub-Tag and a Chat Window designator to distinguish them as the assigned sub-leaders that they are for a Squad's chosen activities - the symbol on their name in a sea of up to 50+ name squares/bars is not enough to set them apart as voices worthy to follow.

When a Commander speaks in chat, say myself, it would say in the chat window:

[00:00] [Squad] Commander Aerulight: example text here.

A Lieutenant should be discernable in the same manner:

[00:00] [Squad] Lieutenant McTrustworthy: example text here.

Give them a Chevron/Tag that is at least half the size of the Commander's Tag, is visible on the Map, Mini-map, and in-world to only those players who are Squad Members (this prevents map icon clutter), and which has its own assignable color selection to aid in distinguishing them from the overall Commander for optimal tactical coordination.

Example: in Twisted Marionette the Commander, while providing overall direction, has split the squad into 5 subgroups and has chosen a Red Tag to specifically lead Lane 5 with. They have appointed 4 Lieutenants, each in charge of 1 of the 4 other Subgroups, and assigned them to lead Lanes 1-4 respectively.  Each of these have chosen the colors Green, Orange, Blue, and Yellow for their Sub-Tags. This arrangement then makes it more efficient and effective for the squad to coordinate and rally to the correct places during the chaos of combat.

And Lastly: 

Please, oh please, set the ability to merge squads via LFG as a Commander only privilege with an Approve/Decline pop-up to finally resolve the constant headache of, what I hope are only accidental, merges of teams on entirely different maps with entirely different content goals. The option to merge squads is an excellent feature if it is placed in the hands of Commanders willingly coordinating, and not at the mercy of any random player's accidental click. 

Thank you very kindly! 🙂

Edited by Aerulight.7250
spelling/grammer
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1