Braham interaction in Buried Insight (HoT)

Zomaarwat.3912

Just did the Buried Insight story chapter; last time I did it was HoT launch back in the day. I'd started HoT story on this character a while ago and I don't remember much of the previous HoT chapters (although I'm aware Eir just died). I'm a little confused about how we're interacting with Braham here, or rather how we aren't at all. There is a cutscene in this part where a stone pillar almost crushes Braham, but Taimi/Scruffy manages to catch it and save him. However, instead of asking Braham if he's alright, we almost flat-out ignore him. Then Anet gives us the option to... ask Taimi how she's holding up? Seems a bit weird to me, especially with Eir's recent death. I know we end up clashing with Braham a fair bit, but I didn't think we were already not on speaking terms at this point in the story. Anyone else notice this and think it's a little strange? I get that we're in an Asuran city, but the focus on Taimi was a bit much imo.

2 hours ago, Zomaarwat.3912 said:

Just did the Buried Insight story chapter; last time I did it was HoT launch back in the day. I'd started HoT story on this character a while ago and I don't remember much of the previous HoT chapters (although I'm aware Eir just died). I'm a little confused about how we're interacting with Braham here, or rather how we aren't at all. There is a cutscene in this part where a stone pillar almost crushes Braham, but Taimi/Scruffy manages to catch it and save him. However, instead of asking Braham if he's alright, we almost flat-out ignore him. Then Anet gives us the option to... ask Taimi how she's holding up? Seems a bit weird to me, especially with Eir's recent death. I know we end up clashing with Braham a fair bit, but I didn't think we were already not on speaking terms at this point in the story. Anyone else notice this and think it's a little strange? I get that we're in an Asuran city, but the focus on Taimi was a bit much imo.

This was specifically Taimi's story mission as it marks her "growing up" and departing from the main cast. She doesn't really show up again until Flashpoint which was much later (over a year I think?) in realtime.  She does some radio comms and is an NPC in Rata Novus, but that's it.

That's why this mission was focused on her instead of Braham. His story continued after this.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

14 hours ago, Zomaarwat.3912 said:

In addition to what Hannelore said, asking how Braham is dealing with Eir happens when he first shows up at the end of Strange Observations. Which is perfectly logical, to ask how he's doing the moment he shows up again.

Taimi: Braham! Oh my ears! You're back! I missed you so much! (gasp) You're bald!
Braham Eirsson: Easy there, Miss Genius. I missed you, too.
<Character name>: How are you doing?
Braham Eirsson: I'm okay. I'm eager to get back in the fight.
Braham Eirsson: I heard Faolain, or whatever she's become, is still alive. I'd like to correct that.
[...]
<Character name>: Okay, we head to Rata Novus then.
Braham Eirsson: Hmmm...
<Character name>: Braham?
Braham Eirsson: Oh... I'm following you, Commander. Whatever you think's best.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strange_Observations#Dialogue

There's pretty clear act of the Commander willing to pause for Braham, but Braham insists on moving forward. While it would have been better writing to toss in a quick "You okay, Braham?" about the pillar, the Commander does have eyes and can see Braham recover himself.

As for the clashing... Keep the end of HoT in mind too, especially if you take Braham with you into Mordremoth's mind. There's zero tension between the Commander and Braham, just Braham's eagerness to take on Jormag - while also being satisfied with having avenged Eir by killing Mordremoth (my biggest issue with Season 3 Braham - he's written like a human, not a norn and not like Braham, and it feels like the ending "I have avenged Eir" moments was retconned out).

• Like 2