Brand Spanking new!

Hi all,I just purchased GW 2 and the two expansions. I have a couple questions.

I've never played GW 2 but have played AC, Anarchy Online, EQ 2, SWTOR Wow etc.. so am quite familiar with mmo's. I Think i understand the pve leveling with renown hearts and events.However the Pvp part is baffling to me, from what I gather when you queue up for a match your boosted to 80 and gain all traits? Is gear normalized? How about experience points? Is is even possible to gain leveling XP in Pvp.Thanks!

There is no "gear" in PvP. When you're in the lobby, in the top middle of your screen you'll see a PvP build button where you can select an amulet that gives you the stats you want (and can change your weapons and traits as well.) So yes, everywhere is working on a level playing field.You don't gain experience in PvP, however it regularly awards you with level-up tomes, so you can level to 80 entirely in PvP.

@Dyreraven.9521 said:Hi all,I just purchased GW 2 and the two expansions. I have a couple questions.

I've never played GW 2 but have played AC, Anarchy Online, EQ 2, SWTOR Wow etc.. so am quite familiar with mmo's. I Think i understand the pve leveling with renown hearts and events.However the Pvp part is baffling to me, from what I gather when you queue up for a match your boosted to 80 and gain all traits? Is gear normalized? How about experience points? Is is even possible to gain leveling XP in Pvp.Thanks!

I would like to make a correction here regarding leveling.

Hearts Quests in particular are a terribly inefficient way to gain experience, and isn't the main source of your leveling experience source. You gain the most experience from killing mobs, especially mobs that are not associated with Heart Quests or Events. This is mainly due to the "Exploration Bonus" mechanic that gives each hostile or neutral mob bonus experience when killed depending on the time since it spawned. For example, a hyena that has just spawned may award 500 XP when killed, while a neutral deer of the same level that has traipsed around for the past three hours will award 1,000 XP. Finally, XP earned from Heart Quests and Dynamic Events are largely unaffected by Experience Boosters, such as Food and Utility Buffs.

@Ojimaru.8970 said:

@Dyreraven.9521 said:Hi all,I just purchased GW 2 and the two expansions. I have a couple questions.

I would like to make a correction here regarding leveling.

Hearts Quests in particular are a terribly inefficient way to gain experience, and isn't the main source of your leveling experience source. You gain the most experience from killing mobs, especially mobs that are
not
associated with Heart Quests or Events. This is mainly due to the "Exploration Bonus" mechanic that gives each hostile or neutral mob bonus experience when killed depending on the time since it spawned. For example, a hyena that has just spawned may award 500 XP when killed, while a neutral deer of the same level that has traipsed around for the past three hours will award 1,000 XP. Finally, XP earned from Heart Quests and Dynamic Events are largely unaffected by Experience Boosters, such as Food and Utility Buffs.

I did notice that from time to time the xp from a kill would have a bonus, I appreciate the heads up about that, I will definitely pay more attention to that.

Also, there's events that usually happen over the course of the map that net at least coin/experience regardless of outcome, but if the event is successful the reward is greater and also grants karma. You also get experience for revealing areas of the map, visiting points of interest (POIs), unlocking waypoints and viewing vistas, and once a character hits 11, completing hero point challenges. Most of your experience will come from exploration, kills, and gathering. To prevet ruining what you gather, carry tools that have the minimum requirement of your level, with exception that anyting 65-79 it would be safe to use mithril, and 80 switch to orichalcum tools.

Also, don't feel compelled to go into an area that meets your level. Experience scales up to your level. And your level is downscaled to the area you're in, so you don't feel too overpowered.

Welcome to Tyria!

@altermaven.7385 said:Also, there's events that usually happen over the course of the map that net at least coin/experience regardless of outcome, but if the event is successful the reward is greater and also grants karma. You also get experience for revealing areas of the map, visiting points of interest (POIs), unlocking waypoints and viewing vistas, and once a character hits 11, completing hero point challenges. Most of your experience will come from exploration, kills, and gathering. To prevet ruining what you gather, carry tools that have the minimum requirement of your level, with exception that anyting 65-79 it would be safe to use mithril, and 80 switch to orichalcum tools.

Also, don't feel compelled to go into an area that meets your level. Experience scales up to your level. And your level is downscaled to the area you're in, so you don't feel too overpowered.

Welcome to Tyria!

Altermaven,

Funny you mention the tools, I just found out the hard way HAH. I made it to Kessx Hills and tried mining iron and i was like ohh hey that's not right!!

Again,Thanks everyone for the insight, having a blast so far

Archived