[SPOILERS!] Oaths till death?

Kitty.6219

So in Chapter 6 Season 3 we made an oath with the shining blade to learn stuff and move the plot along. And in PoF story we died, bit the dust, bought the farm. Does this means we are free from the oath now?? Considering we already died so the condition is already there...

Thanks in advance!!

Well if it worked for Jon Snow...

But actually, on re-reading the dialogue in Shining Blade Secrets I don't see anything about being a member until death. There's a lot about promising to die before you betray them or give away their secrets, and one line from Kerida which implies it's not an empty or hypothetical threat:Countess Anise: You told him/her about the oath?Exemplar Kerida: Talking about the oath won't kill me. Just telling the secrets. Besides, he/she wouldn't shut up about it.

Considering the Shining Blade date back to GW1, when resurrection was common-place, it wouldn't surprise me if they intended their oath to hold even after your death. But I suspect in practice our membership will depend entirely on how useful Anise thinks we could be (which is of course determined by the plot Anet want's to write).

MMmmmm, the terms aren't super clear in the dialogue, but it does seem that the trigger of death is spilling the Shining Beans... I wonder if there would be an official answer about this. (odds are no?)

Also, as a charr, I feel that I betrayed the legions by joining the Human Secret Police, what if we get in war again?? But odds are Anet is going to stash this story line in the fridge along with personal story choices and so much more.

Thanks for the answers! <3

Le sigh

In the circumstances by which the charr and humans go back to war, there are probably ways to use sensitive information without technically breaking the oath.

Besides, I think the only thing we were told under oath is that Livia planned to resurrect and kill Lazarus, which isn't likely to be militarily relevant in any future charr/human conflict. Things like the location of the hideout and the identity of Exemplars don't seem to be under oath.

@Kitty.6219 said:Also, as a charr, I feel that I betrayed the legions by joining the Human Secret Police, what if we get in war again?? But odds are Anet is going to stash this story line in the fridge along with personal story choices and so much more.

Le sigh

In that case you are in a super duper position to be a spy. ;) Oath or not, I guess it doesn't actually matter. When you start reporting strategic information to their enemy they would kill you anyway. So see it as sign of trust from their side when they let you in their secret police thingie that the shining blade isn't interested in supporting a war with the charr any time soon.

Archived