Can I play Path of Fire without having played Heart of Thornes & LW Season 2/3?

Nyel.1843

Hey, the title says it all. I haven't found a clarification yet that's why I open this thread.I played several characters to level 80 in GW2 but haven't touched HoT and LW 2+3 yet (I own HoT). I just ordered PoF because I am really interested in it - my question now is can I play PoF with my level 80 characters that haven't done HoT or any Living World content or are there requirements I need to have? Or can I just log in and start into PoF when it releases next week?

Yes, you can play PoF without having HoT or LW 2 / 3 as soon as it release :)

The thing you missing if you didn't have HoT is:

1. It's own mastery such as gliding, which is also not required to advance in PoF map
  2. The story will probably feel kinda weird for you since you didn't know what happened before PoF (But you can just youtube the story though, I'm sure someone already made a HoT compilation story on youtube)
  3. Living World Ascended Trinkets

HoT and PoF are independent of each other content wise, however there will be a large disconnect in the story between the end of the personal story and the start oif the PoF story, so as long as you're okay with that, there should be no issues.

Only other issue is you won;t be able to glide in the desert, as gliding is a HoT exclusive mastery

You should be able to log in and start enjoying Path of Fire content when it goes live next week. From the Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire FAQ:

Q: Do I need to own Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ in order to play Path of Fire?

Owning Heart of Thorns isn’t required to access Path of Fire content. However, some content is exclusive to Heart of Thorns.

• You must purchase Heart of Thorns to unlock and use the gliding mastery, as well as all other masteries introduced in and exclusive to that expansion. You will be able to complete all of the content in Path of Fire without the use of any Heart of Thorns-exclusive masteries.
  • You must purchase Heart of Thorns to unlock and use the 9 elite specializations introduced with that expansion.
  • Path of Fire includes access to the revenant profession, but not the Herald elite specialization. If you only own Path of Fire, you will be able to create a revenant character and unlock the Renegade elite specialization.
  • You must purchase Heart of Thorns to claim the new guild hall released in Path of Fire, and access the Scribe crafting discipline to fully upgrade your guild hall.

You can read more about it over at: https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010688287-Guild-Wars-2-Path-of-Fire-FAQEdit: Someone beat me to it :+1:, leaving my response here in case it is of interest. Enjoy Path of Fire!

• 2 months later...

Archived