Connection isues to PoF and WvW maps, but not HoT or Tyria

So it has taken a while to figure this out, but using Pingplotter, I have been able to determine that my connection issues to the game for the past few days are limited to only part of the game. PoF content and WvW content suffers massive packet loss after my IP and before Anet servers. I would normally think this would be an ISP issue, except for the fact that it does not happen for HoT or core Tyria content.

This is resulting in frequent disconnections from (part of) the game (every 10ish to 100ish minutes) and makes it impossible to do much of anything, except perhaps "map completion with a lot of interruptions".

It seems, from the /ip function, that WvW and PoF maps all use IPs like 10.83.xx.xx and that HoT and core Tyria content uses IPs like 206.127.xxx.xxx. Only the 10.83.xx.xx IPs are difficult/impossible to reach, and I do not know why this would be. I am based in Germany, and using Deutsche Telekom (never Wifi for an MMO of course), if that somehow matters.

Why are some of the game servers suffering from problems, and not all of them (or better yet, none)?

They started using Amazon's servers a few months ago and rolled it out to more areas over time. The /ip command reports the improper IP for these servers, 10. being a private local network, like what you'd use at home. If you want the real IP, use -maploadinfo to show it on the loading screen. 206. is the original EU servers.

Archived