WvW Population Balance Idea

Ricky.4706

something that I think will balance wvw in a meaningful way that everyone would enjoy.... is a mix of how gw1 handled fort aspenwood, and gvg.

first, you can join any wvw fight for 1 week either as a wvw fight guild , Or a Pug player - meaning any fight will do, I'm not with a wvw fight guild so that rank stuff doesn't matter to me, I just have a few free hours this weekend and want to play iz all. = pug player.

Now lets say each week announcements are made of what guilds plan to play on what color - another guild can choose to fight vs it as an opposing color that a rival guild chose to represent...so guilds can have these leaderboards and arrange fights for wvw guild rank.

Now, instead of a server leaderboard, You have a Guild Leader board based on how many winning games the Guild has under their belt.

This excites me on a Strategy level - because any successful wvw fight guild should show leadership abilities with the best commanders to lead their match to victory, so being able to persuade the "pugs and roamers" is important to your rank in wvw as a guild.

rather than just red vs blue vs green - it's about a guild's ability to bring in the most winning matches.

This also really matters on another level, your ability to lead the server as a guild - can mean your 20 man guild can be a higher rank than a 200 man guild. thats an interesting twist i think...where a 20 man guild can be the "best" of the best.

and yes, "Anet" should have it's own team on this hypothetical leaderboard! -that would also be interesting and fun to see if they can bring in the most winning matches!

Eventhough I may acknowledge that idea could bring something, I'm really doubting it'd have a significant effect on population balance. The core issue is : how much of a server's population is worth a WvW fight guild ? Both in a week time-span, and at a given moment (related to coverage issues). If, as I'm expecting it, it's not so much, then your idea will boil down to "every player will register as PUG" and it won't bring anything much...

Unless of course you totally remove objectives, PPT, and the current way of scoring, which is highly tied to the ability for a server to cap and hold objectives on a long amount of time.

well no, the guilds will be matched to the colors ....this is fixed for ranking the guild as a wvw fight guild.

Whatever they don't have in numbers to fill up the rest will come in people who just wanna fight in wvw, the pugs - if a guild could make a que in wvw ...then their match doesn't need "pug players" to fill in spaces.

Here's a fun argument - "Blackgate" as a guild - would mean much more to winning than Blackgate as a closed server.

edit - if you join a match your guild signed on for, then you log on as a specific color and match # for that week that your guild members are in. - if you join wvw as a pug, you are in any match that has space. - all matches would be always balanced and meaningfully competitive.

Guilds can have a priority que in matches - if you are in a wvw fight guild - you will likely never experience a wvw que again, unless you can get over 200 players to play 24 / 7 on every bl for a week at a time. which is unlikely.

this would also probably re-invent what it means to be a wvw fight guild since it would be extremely hard to run a guild that controls their own match on 3 bl's and eb without the need of pug players to fill in empty spaces. - you would need to rely on quality commanders to keep up the points - and everyone loves a great commander.

Matches would probably have to be shorter than a week - and organized like gvg matchups - with the twist of the pugs being a part of the fights.

we could leave anet to automate the matches to prevent any such arrangements.. Each account could be limited to 1 wvw fighter class guild. So if you are in a formal wvw fighter guild, you are in those matches, no pug option. - to prevent guys (or at least minimize ) that like to waste supplies and troll the matches on enemy side. Unless as a guild you upset the pugs, then that's something else lol.

now if all the best guilds joined up to be one guild, naturally they'd be the best guild, but that seems to be the point of the leaderboard.

also, each match - a guild can choose to simply represent 1 border -as opposed to having to run all maps.....to the pugs it would be wvw as usual. No wvw fight guild, joining whatever map has a commander - or roaming.

heck, even as a pug, you can qualify for higher quality fights based on your ranks, so at least the gvg arranged fights have the highest ranking pug players. and the lower ranking pugs' would be matched with their own - this would ensure gvg matched fights get serious players - and not just people doing their dailies. A rank 2,000 pug player, probably knows what they are doing. and worth recruiting.

The more i think of this, the more advantages come to mind.

While sounds like a cool idea, it would end up the same in any pvp environment. Players would stack sides and probably get a large mindset of who's battling for second because nobody can touch side X.

As much as I miss getting favor by winning HA, making trims from GvG, ANET has already shown us they did not care remotely for bringing pvp to GW2 in the long run. I would even take AB from GW1 over what we have here. 12v12 and the maps difficulty for the opposing faction got harder the deeper into the others faction territory.

Unless we get a Factions type expansion, sadly their focus on wvw is just about the same as underwater combat......

I agree, but at least it will be limited to the best guild, and only be annoying to other guilds that want to be "The Best" guild....it won't dominate the whole game - since a guild can just represent 1 map for ranking, and not the whole of wvw and their servers.

besides, i would think a Best guild should be hard to beat. it's better than trying to be a t1 server with round the clock coverage.

It would also mean more to a pug, since their ranks will get them into better fights.

now imagine those fights, with rank 2k thief roamers - that's a big deal - less complaining about op builds because a rank 2k roamer is very deadly to say the least. They are usually the ones that make those op builds everyone talks about lol.

a lot of these T1 guilds may have to relearn wvw to deal with our low tier roamers, these guys have seen kittens and have had to survive constantly being outnumbered. If you see your guild getting cut off by invisible forces, you might have a group of high level roamers on your tail lol - getting 1 shot is a real issue in lower tier fights when you don't have a guardian and a group to protect you. Good luck getting back to the fight across the map. don't die.

I'm sure most high ranking pugs from the lower tiers would agree, they would love nothing more than to snipe your "best guild" off the leaderboards. it's the least we can do after waiting all these years for a fair fight. meaning the advantage might surprisingly be in favor of smaller guilds that have good commanders to command experienced players not in a guild.

a large formal guild may have ranks 600+ - where as a small guild with great commanders in such a map, may have rank 2k and up pugs and great commanders are highly respected in lower tiers. We don't have em on all the time, so when they are on, we run to them at attention.

lol - not touching that!

Logisitically I know this plan would work, and further make wvw more of an e-sport for both guilds and serious pug players - since each open space in the gvg arranged matches would be reserved for the highest ranking - non guilded players. - Newer players would experience wvw like fort aspenwood. Experienced players would experience wvw like gvg. - the higher your rank, the more your rank matters to getting into quality matches.

How feasible this is technically is in fact beyond my perspective so I must be humble to that fact.

But i will say this, wvw would not only be balanced in numbers, but also in rank. You'd need to either have a high rank as a non guilded player - or as a guild to be in the best fights.

more for this idea - this is actually my dream environment for wvw - it would be like being able to participate in intense gvg matches without having to join a gvg guild - I dont have the schedule to get involved in guild practice, but when I do have time i like to play hard all the same. so i'm casual, sort of. - at least in this scenario i can earn my way in to great matches through rank.

Instead of 3 Colors, it should be 3 factions - Order of the Sunspears - Disciples of Joko - and Children of Rurik !!

The children of Rurik believe they are the true aires to the throne that rules all of Tyria.The order of sunspears ain't having that and thinks everyone should rule their own...Disciples of joko - just want a finishing move that says "Praise joko" rofl

the pve middle ground in wvw / pvp should be the role play that's really whats missing in wvw to get that sweetspot that I believe anet would appreciate. it would make how we dress more meaningful, heck it could even effect how the castle, camp or tower looks based on what faction captured it. All 3 factions have their own style of building - and when you cap a tower, it turns from a bonehouse style for joko, to camelot for the children of rurik. - the aesthetics of this alone is compelling for a living world environment.

I believe between this idea and being able to change stats for wvw - player versus player environment, will make wvw a brand new shiny game!

Nothing would make wvw more fun than role players dressing the part and acting out Joko's return in wvw.!

I mean, maybe it will never happen, but just the idea of it is fun, and may as well share the thought.

can we get a finishing move that says "Praise Joko" while you think about this please ?

Archived