Weaver: focus vs dagger

jaif.3518

I'm probably slow, but I recently realized that focus is not a good off-hand for the weaver spec. Simply put, the skills for the focus are typically reactive skills that you want at the push of a button, not skills that you plan to use 4 seconds from now. E.g. earth 4 & 5, lightning 4 & 5; these are skills that all have their place, but are situational and you wouldn't want to simply burn through them.

I've been running s/f - I switched to s/d, and really noticed that I was doing better in fights (WvW). I'm not a good duelist, so I didn't make my legend or anything, but I really was much more respectable and actually survived better...I assume that was due to the fact that my damage output went up enough to force my opponents to spend some time responding rather than attacking.

Anybody else notice this? Disagree?

-Jeff

P.S. I recognize I could use unravel to get that reaction speed back, but I just don't like that utility.

I've dropped using focus because the 3.5-4s CD on attunement swap makes the focus utility near pointless. It's incredibly hard getting to the skill I need. Instead I just use dagger off hand and start off in lightning/earth for CC. Still pretty much has the issue of not being able to react defensively but I just try to get the jump on them first and keep pressure up now.

Archived