What is the purpose of Chilling Aura?

So... I've just noticed for the first time that I was taking nonsense damage. A quick look at the combat log tells me that the new Raid Boss has an aura called "Chilling Aura", which pulses damage onto players every 3 seconds. I learned later that more bosses apparently have this unlabeled mechanic.

So my question is... why? Why is this a thing? You wanted to promote off meta team comps. But this crap here basically means you either need to bring healing power on everyone to make any self regen worth a damn. Or always have Druids speced for healing with you. Heck, this even strongly cements the stacking meta.

Almost all raidbosses have this aura. Orignally it was implemented to incentivise raid groups to take healers. Its also a mechanic in the VG encounter, that makes use of the pylon attunements and damage is tenfold against players with the wrong attunement.Now that raid encounters have improved and have different mechanics that incentivise Support and healing one could argue it's not needed anymore, but I dont really mind it.It's not a huge amount of damage (iirc it's somewhere 800 to 1000 every 3 seconds ) most of the time the druids Regeneration takes care of it and raids are meant to be deadly and the extra pressure makes it all the more satisfying to overcome.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:The other thing that does is completely prevent players from getting out of combat during the encounter.

Which, ya know, is a good thing to not let them do.

Most of the combat arenas are designed with something that instakills or locks you in though. I can understand the incentive to bring healers... but it should never be something like that - I don't care how many bosses actually have it. The bosses themselves already hit you incredibly hard, and most have mechanics to ensure that all ranges stay on their toes.

Archived