The day when bugs are listed in the patch notes...

NuhDah.9812

When you update the game and a feature of the combat system stops working it's called introducing a bug. So this: "Movement Skills: Camera facing no longer reduces the travel distance of these skills." is sort of a way of introducing bugs in the game with a new release and not feel bad about it. I mean it's not like the fact that you could have better control of your actions by adjusting your camera and movement wasn't working as intended, so I don't see any reason of calling this "update" anything but a bug...

This is at least relevant to classes that use movement skills like leaps, if you don't understand what I'm talking about or how did this functionality removal affects the game play you are probably safe.

The devs actually removed a system mechanic that was there since launch and which offered players some control over their leaps and other movement skills by using camera orientation during the activation of the skill. Everyone who was able to pull it off (though it needed some muscle memory learning and good timing at first) was able to use this to control the movement length and help with some combos. It had lots of uses when used the right way. Not only did they remove a skillful mechanic that was part of the games combat system, they never actually explained the reasons behind the change... Feels like they were probably ashamed of it too.

So yeah, I'm keeping my statement, this "update" is equivalent with making a mechanic of the game (which existed for 5 years, worked just fine and no one complained about) not function properly, or in this case, not function at all - in short a bug - listed as a feature in the patch notes.

I'm pretty sure this was in direct response to ele's needing to manipulate their camera angle to not travel too far when using burning retreat during their DPS rotation a few months back. Which, if you stop and think about it, is compeltely stupid in the first place. Camera angle never should have affected how far a movement skill takes you

@OriOri.8724 said:I'm pretty sure this was in direct response to ele's needing to manipulate their camera angle to not travel too far when using burning retreat during their DPS rotation a few months back. Which, if you stop and think about it, is compeltely stupid in the first place. Camera angle never should have affected how far a movement skill takes you

It also goes with Black Powder and Heartseeker..... if anything though I agree with OP, I have been doing this for nearly 5 years with the Thief to help spam stealth by going birds eye view and forcing heartseeker spam on the spot.... 5 years though for a fix, that's embarrasssing, it's been in the game so long I assumed this was just apart of the combat system and movement control.

@OriOri.8724 & @sephiroth.4217 I'm not sure what to say about your comments, but for me removing things that could benefit movement control and dumbing down what an ability is capable of doing in terms of combat positioning is only a bad thing. You can say it was a bug, but realistically speaking it was an inherent system mechanic that anyone a bit involved in honing their skill could use to make a difference in combat. Btw Ori, you said camera angle but it actually affected the movement direction. I mean the leaps length could be controlled by changing movement direction before this patch, it has less to do with the camera angle.

@NuhDah.9812 said:@OriOri.8724 & @sephiroth.4217 I'm not sure what to say about your comments, but for me removing things that could benefit movement control and dumbing down what an ability is capable of doing in terms of combat positioning is only a bad thing. You can say it was a bug, but realistically speaking it was an inherent system mechanic that anyone a bit involved in honing their skill could use to make a difference in combat. Btw Ori, you said camera angle but it actually affected the movement direction. I mean the leaps length could be controlled by changing movement direction before this patch, it has less to do with the camera angle.

If you were to read my comment, I'm in agreement with you. It's been in the game for 5 years now, it may have been a bug but if it was it should have been fixed like, 5 years ago?After all this time, you'd think they'd just leave it be.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@NuhDah.9812 said:@OriOri.8724 & @sephiroth.4217 I'm not sure what to say about your comments, but for me removing things that could benefit movement control and dumbing down what an ability is capable of doing in terms of combat positioning is only a bad thing. You can say it was a bug, but realistically speaking it was an inherent system mechanic that anyone a bit involved in honing their skill could use to make a difference in combat. Btw Ori, you said camera angle but it actually affected the movement direction. I mean the leaps length could be controlled by changing movement direction before this patch, it has less to do with the camera angle.

If you were to read my comment, I'm in agreement with you. It's been in the game for 5 years now, it may have been a bug but if it was it should have been fixed like, 5 years ago?After all this time, you'd think they'd just leave it be.

I've read your your comment, just wanted to answer for both of you guys, sorry if that was misleading. And also, probably my negative tone might have been the cause, but I wasn't disagreeing with you either, only reinforcing the stuff that was said, with my view on it. What I wanted to point out is the fact that you shouldn't even consider that thing a bug in the first place, cause it was part of the system and it only gave never took from it. But, yeah... anyways, they didn't say it was a bug either, they didn't mention any reason for this change... The bug is actually the fact that it stopped working, lol

@NuhDah.9812 said:

I've read your your comment, just wanted to answer for both of you guys, sorry if that was misleading. And also, probably my negative tone might have been the cause, but I wasn't disagreeing with you either, only reinforcing the stuff that was said, with my view on it. What I wanted to point out is the fact that you shouldn't even consider that thing a bug in the first place, cause it was part of the system and it only gave never took from it. But, yeah... anyways, they didn't say it was a bug either, they didn't mention any reason for this change... The bug is actually the fact that it stopped working, lol

On the Old forums a dev had stated multiple times that it was a bug that he wanted to fix but did not know how, sadly I can’t pull up those quotes anymore.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

On the Old forums a dev had stated multiple times that it was a bug that he wanted to fix but did not know how, sadly I can’t pull up those quotes anymore.

As strange as it is to consider this thing a bug, thanks for your info. Who knows, the devs probably consider any behavior that they didn't predict a bug, while the community will consider a bug something that takes out of the experience of the game, or looks like something bad or not intended. It's a disparity between devs expectation and the users expectation. Oh well, sounds pretty legit.

But yeah, thanks for the clarification, at least now I feel relived that they did this change with some history behind it. Don't get me wrong, i still don't agree with the change, but at least I understand better a somewhat fair possible reason for it.

Oh my bad, I don't play much ele, and definitely don't play it well, so I couldn't remember what it was they were manipulating for those rotations.

Either way, I see why you guys thought this was a part of the combat system, because it had been in the game for so long. But at the same time, if you think about it, its still a stupid mechanic to have the camera angle affect how far a movement skill will travel. That's just a poor mechanic.

Archived