Griffon maneuvers

Arbiter.1529

Finally I got guriffon but don't know how to use it effectively. Sould I use it even on flat terrain?I watched some videos and practiced in black citadel(around asra gate) , but I can only stay at the same altitude.Also I heard that griffon maneuver has slightly changed after Feb. 6th patch. Please give some advice.

The Griffon is slower than both the Raptor and Jackal when on flat terrain, unless you are starting from a high enough point that you can use the speed boost without hitting the ground.

The control change was so that you are unable to maintain your altitude when executing the speed boost. Essentially, the idea is that to go faster you should have to sacrifice some of your height. Before, you could "pull up" immediately after executing the dive to get a speed boost with almost no loss of altitude. The change was that they added a delay to when the "pull up" would actually happen forcing you to lose some altitude.

The Griffon cannot gain altitude while flying, but it can maintain a very slow descent over a long distance.

Including skills, it goes like this:Raptor is fastest on flat, even terrain using its canyon jumping skill.Jackal is faster going uphill or around tight cornersThe skimmer is, obviously, best over water/sulfur/quicksand but I've found it's also useful when navigating through mob-heavy areas where you need to take your time going through. That is ONLY if you have Jackal completely mastered though, so hovering using its skill will evade things.Without skills, Jackal is slightly faster to run with.

As for griffon?Griffon can jump with a wing-flap about as high as base springer can jump. With its skills, you can travel in the air way faster than a glider, and generally keep your altitude if not slowly decline a little bit. It's enough that you can cross the islands during Dragonstand's fight against the mouth of Mordremoth without issue.

I generally use the griffon on land if I'm not going very far, or if I'm trying to keep up with somebody who is on foot. It's in between jackal and raptor for base speed I think. And if there's a hill, it's fun to jump off it and tap down to glide down.Once the mount skills are key bound (mine are set to Q and E) if you dive down (skill 1, in my case set to Q) you can hit spacebar mid-dive to flap its wings, and gain double the speed and momentum. While soaring you can use the second skill (in my case, bound to E) to regain altitude but lose the speed. You can actually re-gain altitude all the way to your original starting point with enough momentum.... As long as you don't hit anything in the process. Figuring out what trees are phantom and what ones are solid is quite the (not so fun) thing about using it.

If you have living world season 3, I recommend trying it out in maps like Bloodstone Fen. Though beware you can easily 'break the map' and get yourself killed for going out of bounds if you go too far..Like so:

Archived