why you should play warrior and why you should not ?

sevends.6504

Hello guys,

I am in the middle of a self fight between maining warrior long term and not.

Could you describe to me the play styles of warrior. What is warrior for ? Why should someone play it ? What are things that make playing warrior is fun ?

And of course, what are the responses of "if you are xxx kinda player, you should check other xx class" ?

These answers are so important to me. Because im bored at switching and wanna give my all to 1 character atm to learn this game.

Pros: A beefy, high damage bruiser that is very simple and straight-forward to understand. Desired in all game-modes, especially PvE.

Cons: The simplicity is a double-edged sword in PvP where the Warrior lacks “fancy” tricks like stealth and teleports, which combined with their melee focus often leaves you at the mercy of the more complex classes that run circles around you. Also not that great in WvW Zerg-meta, but decent at small-scale and roaming.

As a mainly PvE player I’ve been maiming Warrior since launch and don’t regret it one bit. Warrior is quite limited but what it can do it does very well. The current meta focus on melee is especially fun since it forces you to git gud when it comes to boss fights rather than chicken-out and ploink away with a ranged weapon like a little girl.

I've mained Warrior since GW1.I'm a VERY casual player and Warriors to me are the easiest to play. They have pretty straightforward skills and great survivability (in PVE). I do not do PvP and rarely jump into WvW, but as Oglaf said I hear they don't do well in straight PvP - WvW they can one-on-one pretty well, I've had fun with that.

Purpose: I think Warriors are for the less skilled players or those with less time to invest in perfecting the game.

The fun: Being a Warrior I feel like I'm supposed to jump headlong into every fight and just start hitting things. This is fun! I don't always survive these encounters (HoT...) but they're almost always fun.

As for playing other classes - I think that's up to you. If you have a bit of time to invest at getting good at the game, there are more skilled classes that can be fun once you learn them. For me, a lot of the "glass" classes aren't fun because I don't have the skill to play them - I die and die.

Oh, and on a more role-play'y side, I always felt Warriors should be the first in/last out sorts, so I've always played as a Tank (Berserker never felt right to me), trying to help others just by being a punching bag and distracting/throwing down banners.

@Atlas Tsahalla.2456 said:

Purpose: I think Warriors are for the less skilled players

I take offense to that, LOL. Warrior takes just as much skill as any other class to play. As I said previously the straightforwardness and simplicity comes at a cost and is just as much of a handicap as it is a benefit since you have to play around not really having any fancy tricks (stealth, teleport etc) or complex mechanic to take advantage of.

Purpose: I think Warriors are for the less skilled players or those with less time to invest in perfecting the game.

That is what all noobs say to me when I kill them. Then they say, "wait here, let me bring my warrior and we will see..."Surprise, surprise..... I own more easily when it is warrior vs warrior. HAHAHAHHA pathetic noobs think that warrior is easy to play!

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Atlas Tsahalla.2456" said:

Purpose
: I think Warriors are for the less skilled players

I take offense to that, LOL. Warrior takes just as much skill as any other class to play. As I said previously the straightforwardness and simplicity comes at a cost and is just as much of a handicap as it is a benefit since you have to play around not really having any fancy tricks (stealth, teleport etc) or complex mechanic to take advantage of.

Aw geez, not exactly what I meant! Nearly every RPG has a tanky/warrior class and these are generally the "easier" class to play. From my experience I'd say they require less skill up-front - same with GW2, the Warrior is a class that someone can use if they've never played an MMORPG before. They're tough and can survive plus they don't require a whole lot of skill to just play.

An Elementalist, Thief, and even Guardian can require a lot of learning and skill to play remotely well because they have less health and armor - Warriors may require skill to be great at, but not to play. That's what I meant, they don't require skill to play, but can be just as tough as any other class to become great.

@"Hitman.5829" said:

That is what all noobs say to me when I kill them. Then they say, "wait here, let me bring my warrior and we will see..."Surprise, surprise..... I own more easily when it is warrior vs warrior. HAHAHAHHA pathetic noobs think that warrior is easy to play!

I think for PVP - yes, they can be surprisingly devastating when used properly. But I don't believe the Warrior is an easy class to jump into PVP with because as Oglaf put it:"you have to play around not really having any fancy tricks (stealth, teleport etc)", which can be a tough challenge to overcome in PVP when a lot of other classes have fancy tricks.

Archived