100% disk usage when installing GW2

Hey, I was just getting back into GW2, I am able to download the installer. When i try to actaully install the game my disk usage spikes to 100% and have a download speed of 0kb/s.I've tried disk defrag, renaming file, saving it in a different location, allowing it through firewall, updating windows, and running as admin. I have no idea what else i could try. If someone could help me out that would be much appreciated!

@yollin.7091 said:Hey, I was just getting back into GW2, I am able to download the installer. When i try to actaully install the game my disk usage spikes to 100% and have a download speed of 0kb/s.I've tried disk defrag, renaming file, saving it in a different location, allowing it through firewall, updating windows, and running as admin. I have no idea what else i could try. If someone could help me out that would be much appreciated!

How long have you waited while this happens? Does it change at all over time? Can you identify which process is using the disk so heavily?

@yollin.7091 said:I had task manager open to see which process was using the disk space and it wasn't showing any process that was using any.

From the task manager, you can open the resource monitor, which should show processes with disk activity. Ensure your anti-virus/security software isn't actively scanning GW2.

@Healix.5819 said:

@yollin.7091 said:I had task manager open to see which process was using the disk space and it wasn't showing any process that was using any.

Ensure your anti-virus/security software isn't actively scanning GW2.

Or, indeed, anything else. I use Kaspersky, and it often decides to run rootkit or other scans (a) multiple times during a login session and (b) while I'm playing games. It does impact games (not normally framerates(1), but loading times for sure) while it does this.

(1) I have an 8-core CPU with two hyperthreads per core, so there's plenty of compute resources available.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue, and it's been almost a week with no reply from support. I've isolated the issue to something called "CoherentUI_Host.exe" as far as I can tell. As soon as this process is ended, the installer crashes and disk usage returns to it's normal 0-5% (or whatever).

Can we get some replies from support here, please? Here are some basic computer specs on my rig:

OS: Win10 64bitRAM: 16 GB DDR3Processor: AMD FX 9590 8-core 4.7 GHzGPU: AMD Radeon R9 Fury 4GBSSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

@"Kry.4798" said:I have the same issue, and it's been almost a week with no reply from support. I've isolated the issue to something called "CoherentUI_Host.exe" as far as I can tell. As soon as this process is ended, the installer crashes and disk usage returns to it's normal 0-5% (or whatever).

Can we get some replies from support here, please? Here are some basic computer specs on my rig:

OS: Win10 64bitRAM: 16 GB DDR3Processor: AMD FX 9590 8-core 4.7 GHzGPU: AMD Radeon R9 Fury 4GBSSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB

FYI: The CS Team very, very rarely posts on the forums. Occasionally, a QA Team Member or a Dev will respond.

For an individualized response, you must contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below. Due to high volume, ticket replies are running from 1-3+ weeks.

Good luck.

@"Kry.4798" said:I've isolated the issue to something called "CoherentUI_Host.exe" as far as I can tell. As soon as this process is ended, the installer crashes and disk usage returns to it's normal 0-5% (or whatever).

CoherentUI is what they use to render web pages. It's responsible for what you see on the launcher. It does have some disk activity, but it should die down after a few minutes. It's what creates and uses the gw2cache folder located under the %temp% folder. Killing it will of course drop all of GW2's disk activity, since GW2 will crash with it. Ensure any anti-virus/monitoring software isn't actively scanning it and delete that gw2cache folder prior to launching to ensure it's not using a bad cache.

If you want to run it without CoherentUI, you can, but you will not be able to see the launcher. To do this, use the following options with Gw2-64.exe/Gw2.exe:-image -nopatchui

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"yollin.7091" said:I had task manager open to see which process was using the disk space and it wasn't showing any process that was using any.

Ensure your anti-virus/security software isn't actively scanning GW2.

Or, indeed, anything else. I use Kaspersky, and it often decides to run rootkit or other scans (a) multiple times during a login session and (b) while I'm playing games. It does impact games (not normally framerates(1), but loading times for sure) while it does this.

(1) I have an 8-core CPU with two hyperthreads per core, so there's plenty of compute resources available.

In general that is an "embarrassingly parallel" problem, as we call them in the industry, where a fast enough disk lets you fully occupy all the available CPU resources scanning things -- because there is no need to look at anything other than the current file, ever, so you have no synchronization, you just have each of those 16 threads working on, y'know, 16 separate files. Which gives you the end result 16 times faster. ;)

Archived