[PVP] Condi Renegade Finally Works? (See my reply for updated build)

Abelisk.4527

• 3 weeks later...

1) Expertise is a must due to the various types of condi application (e.g. vulnerability, slow, cripple, etc). Power is kind of useless here.

2) I've already tried mace, it's just bad. Sword has a neat evade (sword 3) for melee, has enhanced chill app. due to the expertise.

3) Short bow is a controversial option, but it offers long-range attacks, AOE attacks, knockdown (Ashen Demeanor), slow, and the long range couples well with the passive procs firing off.

4) Staff works way better with power builds. You end wasting a ton of condition pressure.

Another reason to use Sword is the Planar Protection trait. It's a Dark Field, so using Precision Strike while it's active let's you leech some extra health and deal a slight bit more damage when triggering it through a heal. Personally I am more in favor of Retaliatory Evasion and Vicious Reprisal on the Retribution trait line over those in the linked build though. You can dodge pretty frequently thanks to Riposting Shadows Endurance gain to make those two synergizing traits frequently active. And I just find Versed in Stone's 90s ICD to be far too long for me to ever rely on it, plus while it's undoubtedly going to happen, I would prefer not going down to 50% health, making its use more situational. With those traits, I am also somewhat leaning more towards Wrought-Iron Will on the Renegade trait line, just to use evade skills to trigger VR as well. That said, Ashen Demeanor is a nice trait too, so I'm a bit torn between which I like more.

If you like it good for you, but this is not something that can even remotely work in sPvP. No sustainability, since not using glint and you will be annhilated by condis since you nothing that removes them. No swiftness access. No damage. Mace is the only condi weapon worth a dime. If you have no power, sword damage is negligible.

Expertise does not work in pvp, cuz you know, people cleanse.

@otto.5684 said:If you like it good for you, but this is not something that can even remotely work in sPvP. No sustainability, since not using glint and you will be annhilated by condis since you nothing that removes them. No swiftness access. No damage. Mace is the only condi weapon worth a dime. If you have no power, sword damage is negligible.

Have you tried it yet?

@"otto.5684" said:If you like it good for you, but this is not something that can even remotely work in sPvP. No sustainability, since not using glint and you will be annhilated by condis since you nothing that removes them. No swiftness access. No damage. Mace is the only condi weapon worth a dime. If you have no power, sword damage is negligible.

I honestly don't think Herald is as much a requirement these days. I do think Staff is superior to Short Bow when it comes to sustain though, and running without it can honestly become a problem for you. Staff's also another great way to strip Stability should it be needed. I agree that Power is better suited for Sword and Staff alike.

However, when it comes to being annihilated by conditions, I don't know if I entirely see it that way. Righteous Rebel on the Renegade trait line is surprisingly effective with the amount of evades a Revenant can get through the use of Shiro, the Enduring Recovery trait from the Retribution line, not to forget our weapon options. Breakrazor's Bastion can also reduce the Condition damage even further at times, if positioned right and/or covered by either Ice- or Darkrazor. And yes, the build does lacks Swiftness, true, but Shiro does provide Superspeed on demand, so if you typically approach the fights with your Kalla spirits first, that shouldn't be too much of a problem when going between points, as you can switch before engaging should there be enemy presence there. If you are designated to camp a specific point, then it's almost a non-issue thanks to Phase Traversal, Frigid Blitz/Deathstrike, clever use of Riposting Shadows, or Impossible Odds to reposition quickly and/or keep up with your target as you attack them. Expertise not working I don't entirely agree with, since it can be hard to cleanse the conditions pumped out by a Renegade due to the sheer number of cover conditions it applies and how frequently and fast it can stack up some worrying numbers. I wouldn't say it "can't work" myself, but I do think Power is overall more effective. And that includes when you are using Renegade traits and running Kalla. There's also going to be a difference in how the build functions or let's say its viability, based on the ranking of the player using it and who they are facing. Something to keep in mind.

Personally I'd probably do something more akin to gw2skills.net/editor/ when using Renegade traits and Kalla, although I hate the limitations that structured enforces when making optimized stats choices, so it may not function as well for that as it can in say World vs. World with different Runes, Sigils, and well.. better stats management. (Kalla does actually work somewhat better with Power in my opinion. Only Razorclaw's Rage is redundant to a Power build, while Power otherwise increases the damage of the other spirits.) Don't get me wrong though, there's no denying Herald is good for PvP. I'm just bored with it personally. Both seeing it and playing it. I'm glad we have something new to play around with.

Archived