DiviniTHIEF: Original Sin - Deadeye Camouflage

Kageseigi.2150

While the Deadeye may have a lot of Stealth access, it can be difficult to "camp" a good overlook position while remaining covert, because Silent Scope dodging is not designed for cliffsides, ledges, and small platforms.

So why not adapt tried and true tactics from real life snipers, DnD rangers, and Divinity: Original Sin's sneaking system?

Whenever a Deadeye is kneeling, motionless, and out of combat, it will gradually (over 5 seconds) camouflage itself as a

.It would be untargetable and have no nameplate/tag over its head just as it would in Stealth, only it would lose its camouflage once it moves, attacks, or gets hit by an enemy skill.

I'd be fine if we tone down the stealth if we get more range in return. 1200/1500 range is definitely to low for a sniper rifle considering that even LB has more range to offer. They even called the e-spec "sniper" in some languages but it definitely doesn't really feel like one.

@"Barzah.8019" said:good concept but somewhat hard to realize since DE rifle already got enough "stealth" tool. Also it will become another reason for Anet to nerf stealth source which *again can broke thief utility once again.

I'd be happy with a stationary dodge while kneeling (if no movement keys are pressed) so I can set up on a perch, and not have to roll away to get Stealth.

But I do like the idea of seeing random bushes and stones littering the landscapes in the most awkward of places! Even if they are able to be targeted, they could just be listed as Suspicious Bush ;-P

@"Tails.9372" said:I'd be fine if we tone down the stealth if we get more range in return. 1200/1500 range is definitely to low for a sniper rifle considering that even LB has more range to offer. They even called the e-spec "sniper" in some languages but it definitely doesn't really feel like one.

I don't know what a balanced range would be, but I do wish the Rifle could at least keep a 1,500 horizontal range. So if I'm on a very high cliff, I could at least have a full 1,500 range horizontally even at the bottom of the cliff. Basically, have the Rifle's range be cylindrical (an infinite vertical cylinder) instead of spherical. I understand if you limit the range above the Thief to 1,500, though.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

@"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:I just use an endless tree tonic. You'd be surprised how often that works lol

How did I not know this existed??? THANK YOU!!! :-D

If only I could get it to apply on kneel! :-D

Hahaha, you're welcome ^^

Just be aware your name tag still comes up the same as it would without the tonic, so "x server gold invader" whatever. So they have to be pretty stupid to fall for it, but when they do it's hilarious lol

@"Barzah.8019" said:good concept but somewhat hard to realize since DE rifle already got enough "stealth" tool. Also it will become another reason for Anet to nerf stealth source which *again can broke thief utility once again.

Thats the problem, anet only gives additional stealthing methods and no actual dmg reduction. Stealth itself is bad defensive mechanic, since you cant attack while stealthed and stealth does not reduce dmg taken (unless traited to SA), so all the other professions can use their large arsenal of aoe skills to dmg thief in stealth. One change i would like, is that they lower stealth duration from ALL skills and have thief skills give protection, stability, resistance, etc to increase overall survivability.

@"Tails.9372" said:I'd be fine if we tone down the stealth if we get more range in return. 1200/1500 range is definitely to low for a sniper rifle considering that even LB has more range to offer. They even called the e-spec "sniper" in some languages but it definitely doesn't really feel like one.

This was brought up multiple times in the big Deadeye Rework Thread. A good 1800/2000 would be nice.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

@"Barzah.8019" said:

I don't know what a balanced range would be, but I do wish the Rifle could at least keep a 1,500 horizontal range. So if I'm on a very high cliff, I could at least have a full 1,500 range horizontally even at the bottom of the cliff. Basically, have the Rifle's range be cylindrical (an infinite vertical cylinder) instead of spherical. I understand if you limit the range above the Thief to 1,500, though.

It's funny how LB arrows can arc up and hit me from 1800 distance while I stand on top of a cliff and my "sniper" rifle can't reach the enemy below. >.>

@"Kageseigi.2150" said:While the Deadeye may have a lot of Stealth access, it can be difficult to "camp"

You're not supposed to be camping. This is the main reason why we never have the same stealth mechanic from other MMOs (e.g. WoW Rogue Stealth).

GW2 is simply a different game that perma-stealth and camouflage will not work. Outside camping in WvW, this camouflage will have no other use.

@"Jugglemonkey.8741" said:Just be aware your name tag still comes up the same as it would without the tonic, so "x server gold invader" whatever. So they have to be pretty stupid to fall for it, but when they do it's hilarious lol

Yeah, it's unfortunate, haha! Still better than nothing, I suppose :-P

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:You're not supposed to be camping ... Outside camping in WvW, this camouflage will have no other use.

Yeah, it would mainly be for WvW overwatch/choke positions, though I could see some off use in PvP if the camouflage did prevent targeting, allowing a Thief to (de)cap without allowing incoming opponents (Guardians, Mesmers, Revenants, etc.) to use certain teleport skills to get there in time.

It is a shame, though, that certain things aren't be fixed in PvP specifically because of WvW (such as Shadow Trap not becoming a true teleport because of tower/keep infiltration), yet something that would mainly be used in WvW won't be added. Even without camping, sniping from a cliff/wall isn't so user-friendly in GW2... at least for a Deadeye.

Archived