New to Thief, but I noticed something

StabbersTheThird.6053

Besides loving the class and going damage immediately (really, who doesn't wanna go Daggers and Rifle in a fight), I noticed about an hour ago that if you build a certain way that you have an extremely high amount of lockdown. Or I'm nuts. This comes with being new to Thief.

Payback: When Renewing Gaze triggers, this trait restores 20% of the recharge time needed by healing, utility, and elite skills (excluding racial skills).Renewing Gaze: Deadeye's Mark recharges if your mark is defeated. Gain regeneration when this recharge occurs.

Not impressed yet, I know. BuuuuutShadow Gust is a 450 launch at 30 seconds, and this reduces cd by 6.Binding Shadow is a 3 second knockdown at 30 seconds, and this reduces cd by 6.Sword from stealth is a 2 second daze.

And if that's not enough, Shadow Meld is a 5s cooldown, and on a kill becomes 4 seconds AND this hits the main recharge if I'm not mistaken.

Theoretically, with 2 utility and 1 elite and a sword, you could chain stun someone for a minimum of 7 seconds. This is remarkable in open world content. Is it decent in pvp?

My math is off.

2 seconds sword daze, 3 second knockdown, 2 second sword daze, 450 launch, 2 second sword daze. Maybe you add sword/pistol and get more stuns?

I think Rifle better served by silent scope. If in any other set Payback preferable unless you building with lots of boons.

IMO to make Premed>Payback you need to be able to fuel up at least 6 boons full time. Now This in WvW where there more enemy thus more kills and this would also apply to Open world PVe. In PvP (which i do not play) paybacks reliance on KILLS may not see it triggered as often.

In WvW just as example you can easily trigger payback 3 times in 30 seconds and more meaning 18 seconds cut off a 30 second cooldown utility. If you run venoms with share as example this adds significant overall damage when shared at a better then 50 percent greater rate.

@"MUDse.7623" said:why waste time with CC if you can just kill?

Because the damage on these skills isn't that bad. I'm not saying "busted op, omg wtf!" because obviously daggers and rifles. I said so myself :D. I was just thinking if we ever get into a pvp atmosphere where we squishy builds aren't safe to play anymore, then maybe this cc chain is something to keep in mind.

It's making me debate Sword/X though.

@StabbersTheThird.6053 said:

It's making me debate Sword/X though.

I cannot speak for PvP engagements, but I use Sword / Pistol to back-up my Rifle in PvE 100% of the time. The amount of Lockdown & CC I have on that set is insane. Shadow Step (which immobilizes), Pistol Whip, Headshot, Black Powder - which is AMAZING in Fractals - and the Sword Stealth attack is money.

On most bosses, I use the Rifle unless there's a ton of adds.

Archived