Suggestion for mounts: "utilities" mastery

Kodiak.4213

(I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, a quick search revealed some similar ideas, but quite broad.)

I was inspired by the apple gathering for the springer mount. I think it would be awesome to assign mounts specific utility masteries. For instance, the springer is a very adept harvester and can harvest plant nodes within melee range using his utility skill (this would of course use a charge from your current gathering tool. I'll run down a quick list of some ideas.

Springer - Plant harvesting using your current plant harvesting toolJackal - Digging into the dirt and rocks to find ore, uses a charge from your pickRaptor - Claws through trees to harvest logs, again uses a charge from your axeSkimmer - Can revive downed/defeated players as long as you remain out of combat. Revive will be interrupted upon entering combat.Griffon - nothing special comes to mind, but because this is already a difficult mount for some players to obtain, probably best not to give it anything extraBeetle - armored shell, temporarily block all incoming attacks...say for 3 seconds...speed boost movement ability cannot be used while in armored state...still too powerful?

Yeah, so there you have it. It would be another feather in GW2's hat as to how they are utilizing mounts as part of character progression rather than just something pretty that gets you from A to B faster and in style. Each of those could also come with a scavenger hunt type unlock rather than the typical EXP based grind. i.e. visit so and so with certain ore types so they can "infuse" them into your raptors claws to allow them to cut down trees. Whatchya think?

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Sounds interesting, especially if it means we don’t have to dismount to harvest.

would be a nice quality of life boost for sure. I wanted to also make sure there was a balance to these "utilities", but I agree about the beetle...wonder what kind of utility it would have in place?

@Kodiak.4213 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Sounds interesting, especially if it means we don’t have to dismount to harvest.

would be a nice quality of life boost for sure. I wanted to also make sure there was a balance to these "utilities", but I agree about the beetle...wonder what kind of utility it would have in place?

Probably nothing. The Beetle and the Griffin are both specialty mounts. Neither are particularly suited for harvesting nodes as the Griffin would be up in the air and would need to land and stopping the Beetle to harvest means you lose your speed boost. Putting an armored shell on the Beetle as well as having that speed boost would make it too advantageous in high density mob locations as compared to the other land mounts.

Archived