Gem store problems? (Belgian players not able to buy/redeem gems?) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Gem store problems? (Belgian players not able to buy/redeem gems?)

purplecoyote.6018purplecoyote.6018 Member ✭✭
edited September 28, 2018 in Account & Technical Support

Since yesterday night I'm not able to buy any gems through the gem store, giving me an error every time. Also the "redeem" button for gem codes stays grayed out, always.
I've submitted a ticket, and cleared my cache/ repaired the client.
But I was wondering if other people are having this issue? I've asked in-game but haven't really gotten any answers.
I'm on the EU server btw.

EDIT: After asking around here and in-game, it seems this is a Belgian issue, as every single person who has the same problem as me is Belgian.
Anet please look into this???

EDIT2: I have tried using a VPN and that makes it so the interface works, but when I enter a valid code, it still gives me an error.
In other words, using a VPN will get the gem buying interface to work, but actually buying them/using a code still gives errors.

EDIT3: When using a VPN, "Belgium" is no longer available as a country in the list for billing locations. (thank you Sidunox.2401 for the info)

EDIT4: Belgium has been removed off the list of countries from the website store as well. (thank you hoewhoew.4619 for checking)

REDDIT POST (regards to Sidunox.2401 for setting it up)

EDIT5: After some comments, and checking for myself, it seems the issue is now fixed! I was able to redeem my gem code!

EDIT6: We have an official statement from Anet. Gems have been disabled because of the new law, they are working on a solution.

EDIT 7 (FINAL): Another official statement has let us know that certain purchases have been made unavailable in Belgium like the keys, the mount licenses, the dye kits, and any packs that include any of those. Everything else, and gems in general, can still be purchased. This seems to be the end of it.

Tagged:
<13

Comments

• Yep, I've been having trouble as well since yesterday. I don't know about the redeem button, but I do get a red error when I click on the blue "Buy Gems" button.
    Is this the error? Because this is the one I'm getting. https://imgur.com/d9KjFtp
    I hope it gets fixed soon, cause I want that raptor. :(

• @Sidunox.2401 said:
    Yep, I've been having trouble as well since yesterday. I don't know about the redeem button, but I do get a red error when I click on the blue "Buy Gems" button.
    Is this the error? Because this is the one I'm getting. https://imgur.com/d9KjFtp
    I hope it gets fixed soon, cause I want that raptor. :(

YES! That's the same issue I'm having! I hope it gets fixed soon as well.
    Can I ask what country you're from? I wonder if it's a local issue.

• I'm from Belgium. :)

• @Sidunox.2401 said:
    I'm from Belgium. :)

omg me too.......I reaaaaaally hope this has nothing to do with the lootbox ban....

• It shouldn't! ;o The only thing that can be changed by that ban are the Black Lion Chests, as they are somewhat related to gambling. Everything else in the store is absolutely fine! I really wonder if something changed because of that.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2018

Well they might remove your whole access instead of trying to figure out how to remove 1 item
    Edit
    And aint there two items black lion chests and mount adoption licenses?

• @Linken.6345 said:
    Well they might remove your whole access instead of trying to figure out how to remove 1 item
    Edit

Removing all gem revenue from an entire country seems a bit much from a business standpoint. We're a small country so I can't imagine a MASSIVE loss of revenue on their part, but still big enough that a company would like to hold on to it, I think.
    Disabling the ability to buy black lion keys, and random adoption licenses seems like a better idea.
    Then again I'm not the CEO of anet, so hey.

• So uhm, im having the same problem and im also from belgium... O.o

• @Akerure.7932 said:
    So uhm, im having the same problem and im also from belgium... O.o

yeah ok this is clearly starting to paint a picture here.
    I let Anet know that all of Belgians seem to having this issue, through my support ticket.
    If you can tho, please send a ticket as well, and let them know about this. It's the only way we'll get a solution, and an answer.

• XioGShep.4021XioGShep.4021 Member
    edited September 22, 2018

I'm having this issue now as well. I am from the US though.

Purchased 1600 gems. Went to purchase another 800, and it just keeps throwing errors at me. So I decided to buy a gem card, went to redeem the gem card, and even that is giving me an error..

• I'd think if everyone from a country was having an issue, there would be more feedback. It may just be coincidence.
    The best strategy is to contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

Good luck.

• Same issue here, from Belgium as wel

• @Djinn.3970 said:
    Same issue here, from Belgium as wel

Please send in a ticket through support and let them know!

• @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I'd think if everyone from a country was having an issue, there would be more feedback. It may just be coincidence.
    The best strategy is to contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below.

Good luck.

You're right, it absolutely could be. I just feel that more than three people having the exact same problem seems to be more than a coincidence.
    Although I'm hoping it is.

• @XioGShep.4021 said:
    I'm having this issue now as well. I am from the US though.

Purchased 1600 gems. Went to purchase another 800, and it just keeps throwing errors at me. So I decided to buy a gem card, went to redeem the gem card, and even that is giving me an error..

When did you buy them? If it was yesterday or the day before that, it's not the exact same problem, as I (and others) haven't been able to buy gems since then.
    In any case, I'd send a ticket to support if I were you. Hope it clears up soon!

• Sidunox.2401Sidunox.2401 Member ✭✭

I have tried using a VPN to make it look like my internet connection comes from another country (I tried Romania), and it worked. I conclude from this that the problem really does only occur in Belgium. :/

Edit: Never mind, it just screws up the interface a bit. It only shows the "4000 gems for 50€", but when I click on it, nothing happens or appears. So even then I'm not able to buy gems.

• purplecoyote.6018purplecoyote.6018 Member ✭✭

@Sidunox.2401 said:
    I have tried using a VPN to make it look like my internet connection comes from another country (I tried Romania), and it worked. I conclude from this that the problem really does only occur in Belgium. :/

Edit: Never mind, it just screws up the interface a bit. It only shows the "4000 gems for 50€", but when I click on it, nothing happens or appears. So even then I'm not able to buy gems.

That is so bizarre.......do you think it's tied to your IP address maybe? Also, if you use a VPN, can you redeem a code?
    (you can type in random numbers and letter in the box, and check if the 'redeem' button stays gray. )

• Alright, I may have forgotten about the option of changing the billing country. When I changed the billing country to the VPN country, it seems everything is fine and all payment options appear. I'm not sure if it's legit to buy gems that way, though. I'm not risking it. And yes, when I entered random numbers, the redeem button became active! This just makes me more and more curious as to why it doesn't work in Belgium. :c

• @Sidunox.2401 said:
    Alright, I may have forgotten about the option of changing the billing country. When I changed the billing country to the VPN country, it seems everything is fine and all payment options appear. I'm not sure if it's legit to buy gems that way, though. I'm not risking it. And yes, when I entered random numbers, the redeem button became active! This just makes me more and more curious as to why it doesn't work in Belgium. :c

That is SO ODD. I'll give that a shot myself until anet gives a solution themselves.
    Thanks a lot for going through that effort and letting us know, it's really appreciated.

• Zeivu.3615Zeivu.3615 Member ✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:
    Edit

Guild Wars 2 has more than just the Black Lion chests. Remember, some of the mount skin items fall under this jurisdiction as well.

Edit: And there are also the dye kits...

There is more than just one item they need to change

• @Zeivu.3615 said:

@Linken.6345 said:
    Edit

Guild Wars 2 has more than just the Black Lion chests. Remember, some of the mount skin items fall under this jurisdiction as well. And there are also the dye kits.

yeah, I know. We mentioned the mount licenses in the post.

• Sidunox.2401Sidunox.2401 Member ✭✭

I have another update on my research.. After realizing the "billing country" problem, I have noticed something peculiar. My billing country is automatically set as "BEL", not "Belgium". Choosing another country always shows the full country name. A closer look at the list of billing countries has brought me to the conclusion that Belgium is not in that list anymore.. Come on Anet, I need some clarification on this.. :/

Image/Screencap of the list: https://i.imgur.com/LQ1razg.jpg

• @Sidunox.2401 said:
    I have another update on my research.. After realizing the "billing country" problem, I have noticed something peculiar. My billing country is automatically set as "BEL", not "Belgium". Choosing another country always shows the full country name. A closer look at the list of billing countries has brought me to the conclusion that Belgium is not in that list anymore.. Come on Anet, I need some clarification on this.. :/

Image/Screencap of the list: https://i.imgur.com/LQ1razg.jpg

Thanks so much for this information! It's very useful! This is so strange!
    I just REALLY wish Anet devs would give some official info about this, because we're just messing around in the dark here.

• I have made a reddit post for the possible chance of reaching more Belgian players, maybe others know something we don't. xO
    Maybe it attracts the attention of some higher ups, like an Anet dev. :/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9i0zn2/gem_store_problem_in_belgium/?

• @Sidunox.2401 said:
    I have made a reddit post for the possible chance of reaching more Belgian players, maybe others know something we don't. xO
    Maybe it attracts the attention of some higher ups, like an Anet dev. :/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9i0zn2/gem_store_problem_in_belgium/?

Oh that's great, I don't have a reddit account so I couldn't make a thread myself, so I REALLY appreciate you making one. I'll put a link to it in my original post. Thanks again, let's hope we get some answers soon.

• I can't really add anything to the discussion, but also as a Belgian, I can, in fact, confirm that this is the same for me.

• @FilipVH.3519 said:
    I can't really add anything to the discussion, but also as a Belgian, I can, in fact, confirm that this is the same for me.

Thanks for letting us know, the more voices we can add to this problem, the better

• I mentioned this on Reddit, not sure if it's mentioned here yet as well but;

Seems we (Belgium) have also been removed from the list of countries on the actual website, meaning we're unable to buy any expansions through ArenaNet directly.

• @hoewhoew.4619 said:
    I mentioned this on Reddit, not sure if it's mentioned here yet as well but;

Seems we (Belgium) have also been removed from the list of countries on the actual website, meaning we're unable to buy any expansions through ArenaNet directly.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the Reddit thread and I saw your post, thanks a lot for checking that and mentioning it.
    That's.......so.....ridiculous it almost can't be anything else than a mistake on their part. But I just wish they'd TELL us something.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2018

DigitalRiver is the company that handles the actual purchase of the game and gems; they are the official retailer. Has anyone checked with their website to see if this affects just GW2 or if other products they handle are affected?

There are all sorts of reasons that one country might be affected suddenly, but not others, especially without any statement from ANet.

Also keep in mind that it's a weekend and most of ANet's staff aren't working.

With the official word below, I withdraw my previous remarks. I think it's a shame that ANet made the change without having a public comment ready. There's nothing wrong with disabling something to eliminate the risk of breaking the law, while they retrofit a technical solution. But surely, they could have foreseen that people would be surprised.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Came back , wanted to try PoF , cant buy it … GG ( Belgium FTL)
    ANyone has another option?( tried mediamarkt, game mania , amazone, bol.com)

• Great, I can't buy gems either I am from Belgium I just asked a buddy of mine he can't gems either since Thursday he says. I am gone take a look if one of our laws changed.

• Well I can't find any new laws as of yet only gpdr one and I am pretty its for the whole eu and anet is order with that one.

• @Fantasmo.9514 said:
    Came back , wanted to try PoF , cant buy it … GG ( Belgium FTL)
    ANyone has another option?( tried mediamarkt, game mania , amazone, bol.com)

You could try DLGamer, they're an official retailer.

• Yep same here, hope it will get fixed soon.
    But i think that other eu country's will follow soon.
    So a-net has to do something cause atm they are missing out on €€€

• SO, I went and tried buy lootboxes from overwatch and I couldn't. in conclusion it has to do with one of our stupid laws hopefully it will also pass eu and then they have to do kitten about it. I am gone check skritt gamble later see if that that's disabled.

• well nope skritt igamble is fine is fine

• @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    DigitalRiver is the company that handles the actual purchase of the game and gems; they are the official retailer. Has anyone checked with their website to see if this affects just GW2 or if other products they handle are affected?

There are all sorts of reasons that one country might be affected suddenly, but not others, especially without any statement from ANet.

Yes, I have checked their site, but haven't noticed anything related to the issue. I guess I'll have to take a closer look.

• @samanosuke asakura.6240 said:
    SO, I went and tried buy lootboxes from overwatch and I couldn't. in conclusion it has to do with one of our stupid laws hopefully it will also pass eu and then they have to do kitten about it. I am gone check skritt gamble later see if that that's disabled.

Yeah the Overwatch and Heroes of The Storm lootboxes have been disabled for quite a while now, a couple of weeks I think.
    But at least Blizz had the decency to release a statement about it.
    Just cutting off all gem sales, AND the ability to buy the game, in complete silence is just the strangest thing.
    Oh and by the way, I checked and in Heroes of The Storm you can still buy THEIR in-game currency, so there's that.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2018

On one hand i hope it's just a coincidence, on the other i kinda hope it isn't.
    When they released the mount adoption licence, people complained, and a lot of us warned about the perils of the loot box mindset, especially after Battlefront put loot-boxes under the spotlight for politicians.
    If this is because of loot boxes, soon it won't be just Belgium. And if they keep handling things in the quiet like this, well, its not a bright future for Arena Net.

On topic: Sorry for the people unable to enjoy the game to the fullest because your country decided to protect you against predatory practices of several game developers, and Arena Net got rolled in with the problem even though their loot boxes are kinda mild, and not as exploitative as the ones that caused the issue. It sux and it's unfair, and hopefully it gets resolved sooner rather than later.

• samanosuke asakura.6240samanosuke asakura.6240 Member ✭✭
    edited September 23, 2018

@purplecoyote.6018 said:

@samanosuke asakura.6240 said:
    SO, I went and tried buy lootboxes from overwatch and I couldn't. in conclusion it has to do with one of our stupid laws hopefully it will also pass eu and then they have to do kitten about it. I am gone check skritt gamble later see if that that's disabled.

Yeah the Overwatch and Heroes of The Storm lootboxes have been disabled for quite a while now, a couple of weeks I think.
    But at least Blizz had the decency to release a statement about it.
    Just cutting off all gem sales, AND the ability to buy the game, in complete silence is just the strangest thing.
    Oh and by the way, I checked and in Heroes of The Storm you can still buy THEIR in-game currency, so there's that.

yep, kept reading afterwards. its weird it might not be that at all and it might be just big coincidence. lets hope it is. in the meanwhile a vpn helped me buy those gems. and redeem a code gems I had.

• Have you tried any other games/services that use Digital River? That might shed some light on the issue.

• @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Have you tried any other games/services that use Digital River? That might shed some light on the issue.

Elder Scrolls Online also uses Digital River and I tried buying crowns (their equivalent of gems), and I can buy them just fine.

• Then, it would not be a case of Digital River (the payment provider for ArenaNet) preventing certain countries from purchasing.
    Again, your best bet is the contact the Billing CS Team.

Good luck.

• @Sidunox.2401 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Yes, I have checked their site, but haven't noticed anything related to the issue. I guess I'll have to take a closer look.

I looked and I don't see anything there that would even show that DR publishes anything like that. So I also checked google news feeds, but there was nothing.

Regardless, my point is that there are all sorts of reasons (including tech errors) that could lead to Digital River excluding Belgium. The speculation the Reddit thread is premature, as there's no evidence whatsoever for the idea that this is related to loot boxes. It might turn out to be, but there are easily a dozen other potential things that it could be instead, some much more plausible then expecting Belgium to immediately prosecuting companies. The law simply doesn't work that quickly.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• @purplecoyote.6018 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Have you tried any other games/services that use Digital River? That might shed some light on the issue.

Elder Scrolls Online also uses Digital River and I tried buying crowns (their equivalent of gems), and I can buy them just fine.

Thanks for doing that. That's a good test of whether it's something on DR's end or something on ANet's, but it still leaves plenty of possible reasons outside of the Reddit thread's favorite.

• So did you guys have any news? i am bit impatient.

• same problem here, from Belgium, dark redeem button when entering a valid code.
    It would be weird if this was a lootbox thing since games like Rocket League are still selling their keys here while they should be the first ones targetted by this new rule.

• @samanosuke asakura.6240 said:
    So did you guys have any news? i am bit impatient.

Nothing yet, sorry. I'm still waiting on a reply to my support ticket as well, so.

• I used my vpn, then with paypal I set my billing address as the Netherlands instead of Belgium. Then I was able to buy gems. I was also able to use the gems in the store.
    Also I'm not sure the issue would be the belgian law. Friday evening I wasn't able to use the 'Buy Gems' button. But the day after it was enabled again. But Belgium was gone from the billing list. And when trying to buy gems without a vpn I did get 'Something went wrong, please try again later'
    Spending gems does work without issue for me (without vpn)

I've also logged a ticket and the response I got is that they are looking into the issue. They just updated my ticket to say that they are working on it (no other explanation/details)

<13
This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.