PC Freezing when playing GW2

Hello. Starting about two weeks ago my PC started freezing up when playing GW2. It only happens when playing this game and it is completely random. Sometimes it happens a few minutes into the game sometimes I can play for an hour or more before it happens. I could be battling a boss or standing in town looking at my inventory. The only way to unfreeze the PC is to reboot. The error message is WHEA_Uncorrectable _Error. A Google search tells me to check my drivers and I have and they are all up to date and current, as is my Bios. Also to check for Windows Updates and I have checked and they are all up to date as well. Anyone else have this issue and were you able to correct it and how?

Gear:Window 8.1AZUZ Motherboard Z97A1RAM 16GGTX 970Core i7-4790

How long since you last cleaned the dust off of the heatsinks and fans inside the computer? If the interior is full of dust, you'll find it runs hotter than normal, and that can affect system stability.

If it's not something you're in the habit of doing:

• Switch off the PC and open the case.
  • Get an old toothbrush, or buy a new soft one specifically for the job(1), and gently brush the dust off the fans inside and off of the metal fins of the heatsinks behind / below the fans.
  • Close the case and try again. (Don't run the PC with the case open because the airflow will be messed up and less effective than normal.)

(1) Although it's just household dust in there, you don't really want to be putting that in your mouth. Write off an old toothbrush (i.e. never use it for your teeth again) or buy a new one and dedicate it to this job. If you're using an old one, make sure it is totally dry before you start to clean the PC.

Your computer may be overheating. Check the inside of your computer and see if there is dust in the heat relief parts of your components (fans, heatsinks), as Steve The Cynic has relayed. There is also the possibility that you might not be drawing enough power for your components, in which case you will have to upgrade your PSU.

Most importantly, however, get yourself some canned air and electronics-friendly swabs and get to dust-busting. If the computer can't dissipate the heat due to clogged fans and dusty heatsinks, you'll run into these situations. If you've installed the components yourself, also check your cooling methods such as thermal paste. There might be a possibility you'll have to reapply, if your device is aged.

I think I may have figured it out. My PC is over clocked and I found a google post about this and the error message I have been receiving. I have gone into the settings and reset the PC back to factory settings. So far no more crashes. I am giving it a little more time before I call it fixed.

I have freezing but it became more frequent with the mounts. If I would do a jump on a raptor in a crowded area the game would freeze unless I took it easy for a several minutes after starting the game and then no problems. I run a 1070 in high settings and no problems with overheating. This was tolerable but in the last month it now crashes daily and more. Again, if I move into a crowded area such as wvw areas with alot of action. I suppose I could turn graphics down to medium but I like high graphics settings. Anyone else having same problems and know how to fix it.

Archived