A question about salvaging kits and items

Cinca.4759

Hello.I found a video in youtube about making gold and that video led me to salvaging items. It suggested to use the mystic salvaging kit because it has 250 uses. I have been using that for the past week or two now. I have crafted 3 to 4 stacks so far. I have been using it for all rarity. The video came out last 2012 so its fairly old.The video served me well up to the point where I reached lvl80 and I started joining the world boss raiding. But it is getting to the point where i am almost burn a stack in a day lool and mystic kit is not that cheap lol.Now my question, is there different way of salaving items that is cheaper and the gain from salvaging is not to far from a mystic or master kit?.I know about the coper and silver fed machines but i dont want to use the copper because the return rates are pretty low. The silver one is what i want but according to the wiki, it is only available in a certain amount of time.So untill i get my hands on that silver fed maching i need an alternative :).Suggestions anyone?Thanks

@"Cinca.4759" said:I am just concern that i will be loosing alot on the mats if i use the copper.

You won't and you have to remember, using rare or higher salvage kits comes with a cost.

You might lose on materials, but the materials you lose out on will be worth less than the salvage cost incurred when salvaging, thus from an economic standpoint it makes no sense.

Here is a list of salvage kits and cost per salvage:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit

You do have a good point my good sir.In that case, i should be using yellow kits on yellows and temporarily use either fine or basic kit to salvage the blues and greens untill they re-release the silver fed machine.Alright then, i am satisfied with the answers. Thanks guys.

@Cinca.4759 said:You do have a good point my good sir.In that case, i should be using yellow kits on yellows and temporarily use either fine or basic kit to salvage the blues and greens untill they re-release the silver fed machine.Alright then, i am satisfied with the answers. Thanks guys.

The best solution is actually:

• get the copper-fed salvage-o and put it in a shared inventory slot. Use this on all blue and green items. The basic salvage kits just take up to much space (fine are not worth the almost quadruple cost)
  • either buy master salvage kits or make mystic ones if you want to use your Mystic Forge Stones on something useful. Salvage rare items and low value exotics with these
  • use Black Lion Salvage kits on high value exotics if you want to preserve the Rune/Sigil, or now get the crafting materials (seems bugged at the moment, so hold off on salvaging these until fixed)

The Silver-Fed will never pay for its self and is only a 2.4% cost reduction versus normal master salvage kits ((61.44 - 60)/60)*100 = 2.4

The Copper-Fed is actually a 17.3% cost reduction compared to basic salvage kits ((3.52 - 3)/3)*100 = 17.33

Don't be fooled by the low value of copper per use. The difference of 3 versus 3.5 copper is huge. It adds up over thousands of items and saving even half a copper per item will add up to silver and gold in days or weeks. It might take a while, but the Silver-Fed will never pay for its self. The convenience of the Copper-Fed is also way way bigger.

To answer some of the original questions:

• For a bigger bang on Lv.68+ rares and exotics, Master's kit actually brings a somewhat higher chance/quanitty return of gaining ectoplasm on these, and for Lv.80 exotics, there's also a chance of getting dark matter (used in vision crystals for Ascended equip craft, mainly). For masterwork or less, I suggest using weaker kits.
  • Mystic salvage kits are by-coin cheaper than the equivalent of Master's salvage kits, at the expense of three mystic forge stones, which are typically your Lv.80 wildcard in 4x armor/weapon pair tosses. Make them.
  • Mystic salvage kits are per-use cheaper than the Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic.
  • Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic per-use is cheaper than Basic Salvage Kits. Get this over the Silver-fed.

And to finally also agree with @Cyninja.2954 , I've used Black Lion Salvage Kits to save runes/sigils from exotics, especially if they're of good worth or if you are transferring them to better equipment, while also breaking down the item. With the new update, this is even more important.

For any < Lv.68 rare requirement, you can just use lesser salvage kits. They do not generate ectoplasm.

Archived