Returning player from launch here! Are Engineers any stronger or more fun to play than back then?

Treadstone.2564

Hi! I played briefly at launch but my computer was a real hunk of junk. I recently got an amazing PC and Guild Wars 2 looks and runs incredible on it, so I'm returning!

At launch, and around a year afterward when I tried returning the first time, I really wanted to play Engineer. I love the idea of being a class that uses guns and steampunk machinery while everyone else is using traditional medieval weaponry and magic. However, for me the gameplay never lived up to the class concept. I was expecting a powerful 'run and gun' sort of class to reflect their advanced technology, but I ended up feeling very weak. The class seemed to revolve around fumbling between different weapon kits, and it seemed like their most powerful skills revolved around ground-targeted grenades, which just wasn't fun for me to play. I felt like I was just pulling junk out of my backpack and throwing it everywhere. Even worse, I felt very weak. I would watch other classes run into a cave full of enemies and absolutely rip their way through with no problem, or solo an elite type of enemy without ever going low on health. For me, everything was a struggle, even though I was literally setting off grenades and bombs under my enemies. I just felt like I was having to work three times as hard as everyone else and still wasn't doing as well as they were.

I know that's all a lot of complaining but it really did have a big effect on me. I loved the idea of the class and felt so let down by how it played. It was probably the second biggest reason behind why I didn't stick with GW2, after my underpowered PC.

How are engineers these days? Are they still frantic and squishy and centered around kits and gadgets, or have they become sturdier and more focused on blasting enemies with their guns?

And what other classes would you recommend to someone who wants to use guns? I see that Warriors and Thieves can both use guns, and that Thief has a new specialization that kind of makes them into a Sniper which sounds super fun. Are either of these what I'm looking for? I'm not looking to faceroll the game but I would like to feel powerful sometimes at least.

Seems like thief Deadeye is the right spec for you, though you will still be really squishy. Core engineer, and to some extent scrapper, both still have to work harder for less impact. Holosmith, the new engineer specialization, focuses on doing melee burst damage and cc. While Holosmith solves many of the issues that core engineer suffers from, it doesn't really use guns like you were hoping for, though it can still be very fun to play with some nice synergies with rifle. Unfortunately, until core engineer gets some updates, or a new elite spec comes out, I don't think you will find exactly what you are looking for.

Thief is run and gun. Engineer has some good gun play but it isn't the type of fast, edge of your seat, kind of action. Engineer's gun play is more gadget like. So with your pistol you are fireing glue at them to halt their movement or setting them on fire or shooting lightening from the barrel of a pistol. With rifle you're hitting people with nets and use your gun to launch you at someone. In that regard, Engineer's gun play does a pretty good job of fitting what type of profession it is. Thief got run and gun because it fits the overall game play style that is thief, fast and deadly.

As for feeling weak and watching other professions solo, Engineer can do that, but you kinda sorta need to know what you're doing. It's not as straightfoward as the other professions in the game where it's easy to see what you can use to run in and wreck someones day. I describe Engineer as a micromanage profession in that it has a lot of moving parts and things you need to pay attention to in order to do well with it. It's not an easy profession to master and do well with, which is the appeal for some of us who main it. So that's why you likely felt you were working three times as hard as the other guys, because you kinda sorta are. That's the design philopshy behind factions like this, you work harder but when you get it working it feels great.

Thus, if you didn't like it back then, you may not like it now. Holosmith is the easiest way to play Engineer and so that may be more your speed if you're looking for fast action from a profession not really designed to do that but the things that you disliked didn't exactly change. Play, in general is still centered around kits and gadges and turrets (sometimes) but that's kinda the point with a steampunk based faction, kits/gadgets/turrets. If you want to blast enemies with your guns then that's a no. Gun play hasn't changed. If you are looking for fast and blast you really need to go thief because that's their style of gameplay.

Engineer is a great profession, in my book, but it has a playstyle that doesn't jive with everyone. It's meant to appeal to people who want to work harder to do the same things other people do easily because it's an issue of skill that you can take pride in. Anyone can pick up Mesmer and steamroll someone due to how strong it is. Doing the same on Engineer though? Skill.

I think you should probally give Thief a try as gun play seems to be important to you and Holosmith isn't a gun play kinda of thing. More laser swords. You can run it with your guns but if you didn't like how they worked 6 years ago then you're not going to like it now. I wouldn't do Warrior as Warrior's rifle looks cool but there isn't a well developed theme around it like there is for Thief.

@Zex Anthon.8673 said:Seems like thief Deadeye is the right spec for you, though you will still be really squishy. Core engineer, and to some extent scrapper, both still have to work harder for less impact. Holosmith, the new engineer specialization, focuses on doing melee burst damage and cc. While Holosmith solves many of the issues that core engineer suffers from, it doesn't really use guns like you were hoping for, though it can still be very fun to play with some nice synergies with rifle. Unfortunately, until core engineer gets some updates, or a new elite spec comes out, I don't think you will find exactly what you are looking for.

To be honest, I don't think even a new Elite would give him what he wants. He might get sturdier but I have some serious doubts that future Elites will be gun based, let alone gun blast type of profession. If we get any ranged stuff it will likely be bow and arrows, which wouldn't be bad of course as tech arrows does sound fun.

I have played through all of the classes, geared out several of them, and always ALWAYS return to Engineer. I am currently running a Full Berserker Sw/Sh Static Discharge Holo, it is amazing fun! I have ample CC, Dmg resists, Condi clear and with food/utility/sigil stack I hit 3300+ power / 51% Crit chance / 235% Crit dmg (Around 250% when my Severance Sigil's bonus kicks in.) Great for farming, single target dmg is very nice, and all in all, I'm having a great time.

@Odokuro.5049 said:I have played through all of the classes, geared out several of them, and always ALWAYS return to Engineer. I am currently running a Full Berserker Sw/Sh Static Discharge Holo, it is amazing fun! I have ample CC, Dmg resists, Condi clear and with food/utility/sigil stack I hit 3300+ power / 51% Crit chance / 235% Crit dmg (Around 250% when my Severance Sigil's bonus kicks in.) Great for farming, single target dmg is very nice, and all in all, I'm having a great time.

What build are you running? Recently returned this summer and finally got around to getting my Engi the HPs for Holo. Been trying out different sets and configs to find something that fits my playstyle. Thanks

Archived