Mentoring for new/returning players

I see a lot of forum posts about people looking for advice or direction on various topics.New and returning players have trouble finding out whats important along their way of getting to the point they want to be at and asking more experienced ones is nice. But as ppl continue their journey, more questions rise, some get answered, some dont, but asking on the forums again and again, needing to look every small info up on the wiki or shouting out in mapchat for help, feels a bit wrong.

Lots of threads asking for help get answered by many experienced ppl, but why not give the new ppl a place to look for more permanent guidance into Guild Wars 2?

In the old forums, their was a pinned post in the Players helping Players Subforum, dedicated to mentoring. There is also a tab in the lfg ingame, but its empty most of the time.

The idea of this thread is that ppl that are willing to mentor can comment it, with all the info the are willing to give about playtime, preferred gamemode, online hours, expert in (whatever) etc. so new and returning players can pick a person they can rely on for questions, event help etc. What hours/time/gold etc is dedicated to mentoring /day, /week etc should be added as well.

I´d love to have a sticky post about mentoring here as well, it made my early hours into this game a blast!

Ill start:

AccountName: DerJoker.9081Preferred gamemode: PvE, instanced PvE, PvP, WvW RoamingEU-ServersOnline: ~8pm-00am weekdays, sometimes the weekendExpert in PvP, Buildcrafting, Dungeons, Fractals,Classes: All of them, but i excel at Ranger, Warrior and Necro.I can help with pretty much everything, ill also donate some gold to speed up some processes, but i wont be a sugardaddy :)I have been playing since launch, did world completion and openworld, followed all living world and the expansion. I dont like achievement hunting thaaat much, but i put hundreds of hours into every imaginable content in gw2, except minigames maybe.

That´s kind of what i had in mind with the mentoring.I hope many possible mentors will follow so that new ones can choose what ever fits them best.

Make it a Sticky ANet? How do i tag ANET?

(Can anyone mentor me on forum usage? cant handle that stuff tbh ;) )Have a good one :)

This kind of behavior is most welcomes. Keep it up

I've been helping and mentoring new players for over 4 years and still doing so, and there is one thing i can be certain of that there are 70% newbies i've asked did not get any helpful infomations or what they wanted to hear from map chats, guild chats. Sure there is some very dedicated and helpful peeps but the chance of meeting them is pretty low. Some guilds nowaday just toss their adv on map chat, i joined and observed those guilds for a month and most of them just ignored or give simple, unrelated answers when someone new were asking like "wiki it", "google it" and done, nothing else, yep great answers right ?

I personally would really welcome this. Not that I could contribute much, I'm not really great at the game, so it's a bit of a selfish wish. But I know there's many of us out there who know being better at the game would improve our experience and enjoyment of it, and, well, regardless of how many times we look at a guide or video, have tough time translating that into gameplay. Hands-on mentoring is hugely helpful :)

@"Eros.6801" said:This kind of behavior is most welcomes. Keep it up

I've been helping and mentoring new players for over 4 years and still doing so, and there is one thing i can be certain of that there are 70% newbies i've asked did not get any helpful infomations or what they wanted to hear from map chats, guild chats. Sure there is some very dedicated and helpful peeps but the chance of meeting them is pretty low. Some guilds nowaday just toss their adv on map chat, i joined and observed those guilds for a month and most of them just ignored or give simple, unrelated answers when someone new were asking like "wiki it", "google it" and done, nothing else, yep great answers right ?

I think that you may have been unlucky, I met some awesome mentoring and helpful guilds :)

As long as ppl keep introducing new/returning players to the fundamentals and giving them the tools in their hands to progress further, that's awesome, doesn't matter how or how much etc. :)But it's just more personal like that.

Hi guys! Maybe this is the thread for me!

I have decided to redownload GW2 after 4 long years away from the game. I have an 80 char ranger. I haven't bought the new expansions yet..and I am of course completely lost. When I get a longer chance to play I will definitely be joining a guild but....if you guys just logged on to your level 80...what..would you do first? Assuming I do buy the expansions, what should I be working on to catch up? Any big picture points I should be aware of (I'm sure there's tons but lets think big big picture)

Thanks!

@Xazereth.4058 said:Hi guys! Maybe this is the thread for me!

I have decided to redownload GW2 after 4 long years away from the game. I have an 80 char ranger. I haven't bought the new expansions yet..and I am of course completely lost. When I get a longer chance to play I will definitely be joining a guild but....if you guys just logged on to your level 80...what..would you do first? Assuming I do buy the expansions, what should I be working on to catch up? Any big picture points I should be aware of (I'm sure there's tons but lets think big big picture)

Thanks!

Message me in-game and we can find a time we're both online.That makes it a bit easier :)Welcome back :D

Archived