Techie Bug: GW2 won't launch until system reboot (incidence low)

Symptom: I click gw2 shortcut normally and nothing happens. I can see gw2-64.exe in the process list, but it does not respond to kill(possibly another bug). My workaround has been to reboot PC. I usually put it to sleep each evening and wake the next day.

Today, being irked by reboots of a system that has been very stable, I looked into it further.

I found by killing CoherentUI_Host.exe in the process list, allowed gw2-64.exe to end or respond to kill, unclear which.After killing the CoherentUI_Host program and waiting a moment, Gw2 launched normally.( I'll respond to this post the next time it happens )

@Devs: let me know what I can get for you the next time this happens. I suspect you have some gw2 shutdown deadlock issue. It seems to occur once every 2-3 weeks.My Sys: Windows 7x64 Pro, 32G RAM, i7-3770, nVidia 960FTW, 64G SSD dedicated to gw2. The system has been ultra stable for 5 years.

EDIT: For differential diagnosis, the recent issue with the command line changes results in different symptoms. As stated below, the recent command line changes result in a white screen with no activity. What I'm describing has been a long-time nagging issue. The prime symptom is zero response from clicking on a gw2 shortcut or by typing "gw2-64" from the gw2 installation directory. Zero response means no window showing, no load screen, just nothing happening.

EDIT2: I don't use any add-ons or extra gw2 related programs except for gw2pao. Gw2pao runs independently of gw2-64.exe using the API to give me a few helpful overlays. It stays running with or without GW2 running and doesn't care where gw2 is installed. The source code for it is available on GitHub. I chose it because it doesn't push advertisements or create memory linkages with GW2. (Overwolf seemed a bit aggressive)

If your GW2 shortcut uses -nopatchUI, it will fail with those symptoms. (Usually you should be able to kill it from task manager and process explorer, but not 100% of the time.) ANet recently disabled that option, as well as -password and -email.

I re-read the thread and... this is probably something different, if it's happened to you 2-3 weeks ago and also before then.

I have seen similar symptoms, but always associated with my inclination to alt-tab a lot while the system is booting up, or oddities when closing GW2 unofficial addons, such as ArcDPS or TACO.

On the other hand, I've seen stuff like this since GW2 launched. I suspect it's a confluence of things, only some of which are specific to GW2.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

Bump to highlight edits adding extra information to OP based on comments.

The timing of the OP was a bit poor because of the changes to the command line causing a similar issue with a different cause. As a programmer, I like to collect rare happenings from users so that I can continue to polish my work. Often, a trivial report like this from a user can give me an "AHA !" moment and cure something I was chasing as a 'Side-Story'.

As I said, it happens infrequently and the workaround is tolerable.

Archived