Unable to craft Boar Statue

@Taelac.7036 said:One thing that can hang this up is if the item is soulbound to a character other than the scribe. If the item is not soulbound, have you tried putting it into your scribe's inventory, rather than trying to pull it from the bank?

Yes, it's soulbound to another character... Since I cannot just salvage it I thought I could at very least use it as scribing ingredient.

I guess I'll just toss it away then...

@"Taelac.7036" said:One thing that can hang this up is if the item is soulbound to a character other than the scribe.

Right.This "should not" be an issue, but unfortunately has been sometimes.

If the item is not soulbound, have you tried putting it into your scribe's inventory, rather than trying to pull it from the bank?Worth trying.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Taelac.7036" said:One thing that can hang this up is if the item is soulbound to a character other than the scribe.

I've also run into this on other crafting professions, so it's at least consistent, though it can be a bit of a nasty shock the first time you encounter it. And if it were otherwise, I suspect we'd have complaints about accidentally using something we meant to leave in storage for another character, so there's at least some argument for it being as it is.

A nice QoL solution would be to make it possible for a crafter to use an item soulbound to another character with a "This item is soulbound to Character Name. Are you sure you want to consume it in this recipe?" check, but that seems like a whacking lot of programming for an edge case problem. I have no idea what a quick-and-dirty solution would be, since craft leveling is character-bound rather than account-bound, and this problem usually crops up for things that require max or near-max crafting levels.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Taelac.7036 said:One thing that can hang this up is if the item is soulbound to a character other than the scribe. If the item is not soulbound, have you tried putting it into your scribe's inventory, rather than trying to pull it from the bank?

Yes, it's soulbound to another character... Since I cannot just salvage it I thought I could at very least use it as scribing ingredient.

I guess I'll just toss it away then...

You may be able to throw it in the mystic forge with other non-salvagable exotic equipment to at least get something that you can salvage.

@Taelac.7036 said:

@Taelac.7036 said:One thing that can hang this up is if the item is soulbound to a character other than the scribe.

I've also run into this on other crafting professions, so it's at least consistent, though it can be a bit of a nasty shock the first time you encounter it. And if it were otherwise, I suspect we'd have complaints about accidentally using something we meant to leave in storage for another character, so there's at least some argument for it being as it is.

A nice QoL solution would be to make it possible for a crafter to use an item soulbound to another character with a "This item is soulbound to Character Name. Are you sure you want to consume it in this recipe?" check, but that seems like a whacking lot of programming for an edge case problem. I have no idea what a quick-and-dirty solution would be, since craft leveling is character-bound rather than account-bound, and this problem usually crops up for things that require max or near-max crafting levels.

The next best solution would be to include a note about soulbinding making an item unavailable for crafting by another character. I'd prefer such a note to be in the crafting UI rather than on every bound item.

An alternative approach would be to make exotic back items account bound rather than soulbound. Since ascended backs are plentiful, since already bound (to account) exotics drop from a lot of achievements, I suspect that the economic impact of this would be low.

Yet another alternative would be to continue to restrict the six gear-related crafting disciplines, but make it so that scribing is independent of binding. ANet apparently has reasons for restricting the 24- and 28-slot inventory bags, but this wouldn't apply to scribes. Besides which, scribing is fundamentally a "craft for the group" discipline, rather than a "craft for an individual" discipline like the other six.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The next best solution would be to include a note about soulbinding making an item unavailable for crafting by another character. I'd prefer such a note to be in the crafting UI rather than on every bound item.

An alternative approach would be to make exotic back items account bound rather than soulbound. Since ascended backs are plentiful, since already bound (to account) exotics drop from a lot of achievements, I suspect that the economic impact of this would be low.

Those are good ideas, and neither should involve the kind of programming that touches so many different things as to make it a large, complex project.

Yet another alternative would be to continue to restrict the six gear-related crafting disciplines, but make it so that scribing is independent of binding. ANet apparently has reasons for restricting the 24- and 28-slot inventory bags, but this wouldn't apply to scribes. Besides which, scribing is fundamentally a "craft for the group" discipline, rather than a "craft for an individual" discipline like the other six.

This would be ideal, but I suspect that making that distinction probably does touch too many different parts of the code to be a simple change. As the primary scribe for one of my guilds, there are a number of things about that crafting discipline that I think could use some adjustments, given how brutal it can be on the scribe's personal inventory. (Yes, I do keep suddenly wondering where my leather stockpiles went and why I'm out of mid-tier dust, why do you ask?)

Archived