Conquest roaming class

Ste.9741

I'm new to gw2 (I did play in 2012 for a little bit) and have been playing a little over a week now but I need help deciding a class which is effective as a capper (I don't know if this is the term)I enjoy roaming and getting objectives, I've been having fun on my ranger so far with longbow/greatsword but wondering if there's any other professions which are range that are good at this? I'd like to try out a few of them before I dedicate to Ranger, since I keep seeing that it's beneficial to go sword/warhorn instead of GS and I hate it tbh.I kinda like the look of dragonhunter guardian or deadeye thief with a rifle but everything I've read indicates it's kind of a meme, is this true?

Thanks!

i think the core thief build on metabattle is a good thing to give a try for what you want to accomplish.you got good damage, the best mobility second to daredevil.and you remove alot of boons, so classes that rely on aegis, stabiliy, and protection will be worried when you splash in to plus one.

+1 for Thief. Pick your flavor by building for either intercepting squishies or busting boontanks. But, a bit of warning:

If you want to cap, you will need to be able to deal with people that are in your face, so I'd just like to point out not to get too dead set on only playing from range if point capture is your focus.There are several other thief builds out there that have use as well. As far as a cap-dedicated class, you can't really do better than thief.

If that doesn't work out, try Mirage, a flavor of ele, Spellbreaker, a flavor of engie, or a flavor of ranger. You'll be slower, but those classes make up for it in staying power.

It does sound like Thief is what you're looking for but I think a warning is merited because, if you go into the class with the wrong expectations, it can be pretty miserable. It certainly took me a while to figure out how to enjoy it. Basically, the only advantage of the Thief is its mobility, which is enough to make the class good, but be prepared to never be able to win a duel. You should almost never be involved in a fair fight; you exist to turn 1v1s into 2v1s, 3v3s into 4v3s and the like, so a lot of the strength of the class comes from good map awareness and being able to correctly decide where you need to be next. That being said, it can be immensely satisfying to always be on the move, constantly doing important things and turning the tide of fights.

Also, if you're only going to be focusing on one class, Thief might not be the best because if you are put in a team with another Thief and lack an alternative class to switch to, it can be really terrible. Maybe better players than me can make it work but I've always found the two Thieves completely cannibalise each others role and it's really hard for the team to win.

@Generalissimo.8602 said:Also, if you're only going to be focusing on one class, Thief might not be the best because if you are put in a team with another Thief and lack an alternative class to switch to, it can be really terrible. Maybe better players than me can make it work but I've always found the two Thieves completely cannibalise each others role and it's really hard for the team to win.

Depends. 2 Accro or DP Thieves together is hard to work with (unless they have insane synergy together which is unlikely to happen in SoloQ) but i've found Deadeye+Regular Thief to be workable.

But having and knowing how to play a few alts is a good advice for conquest in general, very few builds are well rounded enough to work in every possible scenario.

Archived