[Bug] Salvaging bug.

I found a random bug while trying something out. I seem to encounter it on my PC and Geforce Now (which has better hardware) which happens when I salvage all items on more than 3000 items in the same zone. I start to encounter huge fps drops while salvaging all. I am not sure if it's some data leak or if it's already been reported. But I searched and didn't see anyone else having this issue so I am not sure if it's only happening to me.

It's been reported. It doesn't affect that many people, because only a tiny fraction of us are crazy enough to open that many bags or salvage that much.

There's also a super easy work-around: waypoint to anywhere not within "view" distance, e.g. from Rata's Accountancy Waypoint to any of the portals on top will do it.

What seems to be happening (since launch) is that the game keeps a queue of all the items and icons it needs to display, and that queue gets longer and longer the more stuff you open. At launch, it wasn't that much of an issue because the game had "natural" limits to how fast you could do any of this. Lots of things didn't stack, you had to individually click to open or salvage, bag space was much much much more limited. These days, with open-all, salvage-all, and so on... well, it's a lot easier to generate 1000s of items for the queue.

I'm sure it's on the list of things to fix, way way way down near the bottom of "things we really should fix, just as soon as we fix the stuff that affects more people for longer periods of time."

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:It's been reported. It doesn't affect that many people, because only a tiny fraction of us are crazy enough to open that many bags or salvage that much.

There's also a super easy work-around: waypoint to anywhere not within "view" distance, e.g. from Rata's Accountancy Waypoint to any of the portals on top will do it.

What seems to be happening (since launch) is that the game keeps a queue of all the items and icons it needs to display, and that queue gets longer and longer the more stuff you open. At launch, it wasn't that much of an issue because the game had "natural" limits to how fast you could do any of this. Lots of things didn't stack, you had to individually click to open or salvage, bag space was much much much more limited. These days, with open-all, salvage-all, and so on... well, it's a lot easier to generate 1000s of items for the queue.

I'm sure it's on the list of things to fix, way way way down near the bottom of "things we really should fix, just as soon as we fix the stuff that affects more people for longer periods of time."

thank you for the information. I didn't think of that.

@Kyon Sama.8301 said:thank you for the information.Quite welcome

I didn't think of that.It's still a bug; still worth reporting.

A lot of veterans (including myself) sometimes forget because we've lived with the status quo for so long and find ways of coping. It's hard to know what comment might remind ANet that, oh yeah, this is still an issue and let's just get it done.

One of the developers who left recently (volunteered during the layoffs) loved finding stuff like this and seeing if there was a half-way simple way to fix things, without breaking everything else. Some were more complicated and required permission from the boss(es) to proceed, which is sometimes given if there's a good plan for handling it without undermining progress on other work.

Knowing coders, I'm sure there are others at ANet who feel the same...and maybe this will be the next on their list.(Probably not, though; there's always too much work.)

Archived