New player! kinda lost~

Nowaki.2136

So as the tittle say, im a new player, i start playing gw2 a couple days ago, got a character to lvl 32 and then decided that this game was in fact for me! so i left my previous game once and for all (FFxiv) and got the pack with both expansions.... well the x2 lvl 80 booster are too tempting not to use them you know xD and i really wanted to test different classes on max level (i later found out that you can do exactly the same on pvp lobby, and even betetr cuz you have acces to elite spect there.... anyway) .... Long short, spent the whole day testing classes and weapon, and used the 80 booster in the one i liked the most...... now im not sure if that was a good idea, i mean my teleports now cost silver :O it was a couple copper before and now its 1 silver D: thats a lot for someone with like 1 gold ..... moving on, im so overwhelmed right now cuz i feel i have so many things to do, yet i dont know what to do being lvl 80 already.... imma summarise some basic question, but if there's something you feel i need to know please any tip is welcomed here!Side note: new on the game, been playing MMos for like 9 years (? omg i feel so old!

Character progression specific questions:1- What's with that mastery thing o.o i filled the exp bar and now it says i gotta do something with the mastery point o.o i found online about it but im still not sure how to spent that, or what should i get first2- Hero points, to my surprise i wanted to play DH, but then the booster did not level my elite spec and now i need a huge amount of hero points to unlock it, and i mean i got a few points from leveling when i was on my first character but what about now? how do i get those points?3- Like what should i be doing right now o.o doing maps? farming EQ?3.1- if doing maps, like any map? or certian lvl X map to get Y reward from doing it?3.2- if farming Eq/gear, where/how o.O and what xD4- For real what should i be doing o.o5- Is there any "MUST" have from gem store? (more like "if you have gems, this is what you should get first before spending into anything else") i got the pack that comes with 4k gems and im not sure how to spend them other than fashion.

General game question:A- Does server matters other than WvW? (ill eventually get into that, i love pvp, yet i need to get used to the game first)B- Is pvp stuff balanced arenas? (as in your gear doesnt matter)C- Whats the best option to find a guild? im starting to play the game with a friend, tho she is busy this week os she is going to start next week, she gave me the job to find us a guild but im not really sure how.C+A- like should i aim for a guild that is on my server or it doesnt matter? (i read somewhere this game use megaservers so only region matters in open)D- How important is crafting?E- whats the point of completing a map other than the equpment listed in there?F- Really if oyu have any suggestion/tip/whatever please share it with me

Ty very much!

Character progression specific questions:1- What's with that mastery thing o.o i filled the exp bar and now it says i gotta do something with the mastery point o.o i found online about it but im still not sure how to spent that, or what should i get firstMastery Points are earned in Central Tyria and Heart of Maguma. The mastery points do not transfer from one to the other. Central is for things like Fractal and Pre-cursor bonuses. Maguma are for Gliding and Mushrooms and the like.

You fill the experience bar and then you need Mastery Points to earn that benefit. For example Bouncing Mushrooms, you will need some Heart of Maguma mastery points to get it once you've filled the bar.

Mastery Points are earned through exploration and Achievements.

2- Hero points, to my surprise i wanted to play DH, but then the booster did not level my elite spec and now i need a huge amount of hero points to unlock it, and i mean i got a few points from leveling when i was on my first character but what about now? how do i get those points?You can earn Training Points by finding them in the world. I believe Central Tyria Skill Points are worth 1 each and Skill Points in HoT are worth 10 each.

3- Like what should i be doing right now o.o doing maps? farming EQ?I would recommend finishing HoT Story, you will get a bunch of experience and Mastery Points, this will set you on the path.

You might also start looking at specializations, find a build you like and start building resources to make yourself some Ascended equipment.

3.1- if doing maps, like any map? or certian lvl X map to get Y reward from doing it?If your goal is to make a Legendary you could start with Central Tyria. Completing the map will get you some items you will need for getting 100%

3.2- if farming Eq/gear, where/how o.O and what xDI played around with builds in Fractals for a while until I found one I was happy with and then built gear for it. Many people will argue you can't go too wrong with making Berserk gear

4- For real what should i be doing o.oExplore Maps, do Fractals, work on Mastery. You really can't go wrong. Just about everything you do will progress your hero!

5- Is there any "MUST" have from gem store? (more like "if you have gems, this is what you should get first before spending into anything else") i got the pack that comes with 4k gems and im not sure how to spend them other than fashion.I would be lost without my gathering tools from the gem store. I have 3 sets. As you progress you will feel an inventory "pinch" having 1 or 2 extra Bank tabs wouldn't hurt you either.

General game question:A- Does server matters other than WvW? (ill eventually get into that, i love pvp, yet i need to get used to the game first)Server is only WvW. GW2 uses a Mega server. You can play with anyone at anytime outside of WvW

B- Is pvp stuff balanced arenas? (as in your gear doesnt matter)\Yes, everyone is "normalized" so your gear is meaningless. It' all about fashion! PvP also has progression tracks for your hero. You should check it out, it's quite fun.

C- Whats the best option to find a guild? im starting to play the game with a friend, tho she is busy this week os she is going to start next week, she gave me the job to find us a guild but im not really sure how.Look on the forums, ask them if you can tag along for some of their events, jump in their voice chat, whateves. I like to play with new guild mates before making any commitment to a guild. Remember you can be part of 5 guilds at a time, so you don't have to choose just 1!

C+A- like should i aim for a guild that is on my server or it doesnt matter? (i read somewhere this game use megaservers so only region matters in open)If you want to have a WvW Guild you should find one on your server, otherwise it doesn't matter.

D- How important is crafting?Very. If you want to craft Ascended gear instead of grind for it you should find out which crafting professions you should level.

E- whats the point of completing a map other than the equpment listed in there?A star next to your name when peopel look at you, Mastery Points, and legendary crafting items.

F- Really if oyu have any suggestion/tip/whatever please share it with meGW2 is all about doing what makes you happy. I love doing the meta events in areas for lewt and then going to PvP and murdering some people.

Ty very much!Hope this helped!

Heyo! Five year vet here to answer your questions n' stuff.

Character progression specific answers:1- So you've filled the EXP bar; nice! You're ready to level up your mastery rank. In order to actually do that and get the "DING" effects, you need to collect actual physical mastery points. If you click on your EXP bar, it'll open up the mastery list, where it'll show how many mastery points you need to level up through a stage. Some mastery tracks will have 4 - 6 stages, each with more mastery points needed to progress. There are two kinds of mastery points: ones for Heart of Tyria (aka non-expansion zones) and ones for Heart of Thorns (aka expansion areas). You can find these mastery points all over the world and sometimes in super easy places.2- A good way to grab a lot of hero points is to do the ones in the new Heart of Thorns zones. All of those hero points give you 10 points each instead of the usual 1!3- Whatever you want, really! There's so much new content to touch; touch any amount of it at your own rate!3.1- Same rule applies: whatever map you want!3.2- There's no really reliable farm, per se, so I guess the same rule applies here.4- See above!5- The only stuff from the Gem Store that are "MUST HAVE" (and even still, it's a bit of a stretch to call them that) are the infinite gathering tools. There's no difference between any of them (it's purely cosmetic) but if you have any characters who are constantly running out of gathering tools, it'll help in never having to worry about it ever again. Otherwise, everything in the Gem Store is just for your own cosmetic satisfaction.

General game answers:A- Server does not matter for anything other than WvW, correct. Everyone is on one giant megaserver and we're all playing together. WvW is obviously server vs. server.B- Gear kind of does matter. It's kind a similar to how WvW works in that level doesn't matter but the stats on your gear does. I also haven't played a lot of PvP to understand it so take this with a grain of salt.C- Aside from the usual "be on the lookout for in-game advertisements", I highly recommend checking out the GW2 guild recruitment subreddit. Lots of guilds update their posts there and there's a plethora of guilds available in general.C+A- The megaserver does matter a bit. The server you're on determines who you'll be paired up with depending on what your interests are. Example: if you're on Tarnished Coast, you'll run into a lot more players who are into Roleplay.D- Depends on what you are wanting to use crafting for. If you want it to be a fast way to level up, it's good if you have the materials for it. If you want to make all the cool, new legendaries, it's pivotal.E- Super mega awesome buckets of EXP and progress towards world completion which gives you things useful for making legendary weapons.F- Honestly... don't be afraid to ask around for anything. Most of the GW2 community is extremely friendly and helpful regarding people who need orientation. Find people in-game, on websites, on Discord, everywhere GW2 people are coming together and sharing stuff with each other. Everyone you meet can be a helping hand - unless you're in WvW, in which case make sure their families see them return UPON their shield.

Welcome to Gw2. 9 years mmos? Don't worry, I was playing RS back in 2006 for many years and other games. You ain't alone!

I'll try to answer your points best as I can... your initial batch of questions:

• Mastery system - you must select a 'track' in the mastery panel. E.g; "Glider basics". Doing this will enable an XP bar that must be filled. Once you have filled the bar and on the condition you HAVE the required mastery points (only 1 in total for glider basics) then you can complete it hence 'master' it. I would recommend getting gliding out of the way first then things like bouncing mushrooms, Nuhoch wallows.
  • Hero points - you can collect these in core Tyria maps (worth regular 1 each) OR HoT maps (worth 10 core hero points per hero point in HoT). You need 250 hero points to unlock your HoT elite spec or in other words - 25 HoT hero points. You can also use Proofs of Heroics (earned in WvW) to unlock your elite spec which again, buying 25 of the HoT hero point scroll things with Proofs will fully unlock your elite spec.
  • A lot of new players seem to want to level to 80 ASAP... which defeats the purpose of experiencing the game naturally via levelling up + learning how to play the game. That statement is very subjective and you are of course free to play how you wish but I highly recommend levelling up a character the oldschool way via map exploration, events, heart quests etc to get a feel for how your class functions and what you can do. I think once you've learned the mechanics of your class engaging in competitive content against or with other players makes you a better player in general since by then you'll know how to survive and what you can offer to group content such as dungeons, fractals, raids, WvW squads, parties and so much more. But generally speaking, yeah - farm maps for currencies, enjoy the content, join a guild and participate in as many events as you can.
  • Yes. If you want a certain reward you need to do the content required for it - even if it means an event within a specific area of a map.
  • I think starting out you'll be content with using whatever gear drops along the way. Exotic gear (level 80) can be purchased off the TP and are pretty cheap once you get some gold income. That or they can be crafted but crafting is expensive and more required for later tiers of gameplay like completing achievements, 'quests', crafting ascended/legendary gear etc.
  • Just play the game and enjoy yourself, make some friends along the way, make someone's day by helping them out! There's many things.
  • Gem store related stuff is subjective and it depends who you ask. What is worth buying from there you ask? First and foremost I'd say Shared Inventory Slots considering ANY character you log into will be able to utilize whatever you put into that slot instead of having to shift it around every time you want to swap characters. I understand with HoT you probably already have one unlocked which is good. Gathering tools (very QoL and never run out), any of the Salvage-o-matics (for mass salvaging), Bank Tab Expansion and/or material expansions are pretty common on the list considering there is SO MUCH STUFF gets thrown at you these days you're gonna' run out of space fast, sadly. The rest is either aesthetics or more QoL features.

Your general game questions:

• Servers do not matter UNLESS you do WvW or hardcore server specific guilds. Gw2 upgraded to the megaserver system years ago.
  • PvP does not use the gear system, however, you MUST equip at least your weapons AND full 6 armor set (doesn't matter what tier/quality of armor) to utilise the rune + sigil bonuses otherwise you're gimping yourself and setting your team up for a loss.
  • Finding a guild in Gw2 is relatively easy. Gw2 official forum threads exist for guilds advertising. Other websites exist, too. You will come across players all too often advertising in-game via map chat that they are recruiting.
  • You should figure what what kind of content you enjoy doing most (PvE, PvP, WvW) and find a respective guild that engages in that content on a regular basis. There's no point joining a WvW guild if you're going to be amiss on reset day all the time.
  • Crafting is very important in any MMO. It enables you to craft higher tier gear, is required for end-game-like content, achievements, 'quests', possibly living story content and much more. It's expensive but once you have it you don't ever have to worry about maxing it again unless you delete that character you obtain 500 crafting on.
  • Completing a map is important for those who are working towards world completion (100% all zones) which is also required for crafting a core legendary weapon (Gift of Exploration), 100% completion is also helpful in case any future content that is tied to a specific map results in less travel for you (you can just waypoint there in seconds).

I don't have any further tips (unless you have more questions) other than to explore the game on your own accords and enjoy!

Hope that helps answer your questions.

From Linkshells and Chocobos to Guild's and Raptors.

I've been playing MMOs for 15 years and spent a few months on FFXIV so I know where you are coming from and what will make you quit the game. It is a clearly defined progression to end the game. GW2 is very vague, intentionally so on how you should progress, the game is designed to let you play how you want and most of the community will give you a similar response. But if you are anything like me and achievement oriented then you want the most efficient path to maximizing your gear. If you want to know who am I? I was a GW1 player who was in top100 GvG teams in Guild Wars 1 and played it for years. I've had 5 years in Guild Wars 2 with a modest 6000 hours and am in the top 95th percentile for wealth according to GW2efficiency.

Before we move on, you must understand the end game of Guild Wars 2 is Skins. Also, take what you know about MMOs and throw them out the window, it doesn't apply here. That is exactly why it has a rabid populated fan base 5 years out. Optimizing gear is only important if you want to Raid or do Fractals (difficulty tiered dungeons) lvl75+.

Short Term Progression

Guardian's Elite Specialization (think of it as a sub-class) Dragon Hunter is one of the best starting for new players because guardians at the moment pre-Path of Fire expansion launch does not require overly expensive gear. I've listed out a checklist of things you need to do in order to progress through to what the community perceives as an end game.

1. If you care for the lore, complete main campaign.
  2. Focus on building just one character up till you have amassed enough wealth where you can expand unless you totally hate your current profession
  3. Join a guild and do weekly guild missions with guild to acquire guild tokens which you can trade in for some of your necessary Berserker Trinket's
  4. Get to Fireheart Rise on foot and look in LFG (Press Y > click magnifying glass > dungeons > Citadel of Flame) for a group doing it
  5. Get to Mount Maelstrom on foot and look in LFG (Press Y > click magnifying glass > dungeons > Crucible of Eternity) for a group doing it
  6. Kindly tell dungeon group that you are new to the game and if they don't make taking you along if it is your first time.
  7. Once you've farmed enough dungeon tokens start buying Exotic Berserker stated gear from Dungeon rewards merchant located in Lions Arch.
  8. Run Fractals daily lvl 20 or below as this can be done without any agony resistance.
  9. Your short term goal (less a months time) is to acquire fully Berserker statted weapons, armor, and possibly trinkets
  10. If money is no object, skip steps 1-9, convert 400gems($5 USD) into 105gold and buy all your Exotic tier Berserker Weapons, Armor, and Trinkets.
  11. Spend Gems to buy (in descending priority) Copper-Fed-Salvage O Matic, more Bag slots, more bank slots, increased
  12. material storage limit, perm. gathering tools
  13. Subscribe to community influencers who will keep you informed such as WoodenPotatos on youtube
  14. Go to reddit.com/r/guildwars2 and pretend to be a gw hipster, but played WoW in 2005

Long Term Progression

1. Watching Season 1 recap video on youtube
  2. Completing Season 2, Heart of Thorns Expansion, Season 3 and Path of Fire Expansion in that order.
  3. Acquiring Ascended gear through Fractals while socketing for higher agony resistance allowing you to do higher levels and get better rewards
  4. Build Optimizing learning and practicing DPS rotation and using DPS meters
  5. Building Full Set of Ascended Gear with stats for highest DPS for your profession (may change with expansion next week)
  6. Starting Raids
  7. Finding a static raid team or Pugging raids weekly to work towards legendary armor
  8. Working Towards Legendary Weapons
  9. Working towards Legendary Trinkets
  10. Increasing AP score
  11. Typing /age in chat and then looking at your account's metrics in gw2effiency then /cry irl

I probably missed a lot of stuff but it's 2am and I'm dead on my keyboard.

If I were you, just starting as a new player. I would create a fresh level 1 character and play the core campaign first. It is called My Story and it unlocks at level 10. In between explore the world, run around and discover all the Waypoints and beat the Hero Challenges (these give you hero points to unlock your skills) in the maps.

Map completion (doing the hearts, vista's, waypoints, etc...) gives you extra rewards amongst them Transmutation Charges that can be used to change the skin of your weapons/armor. Check the skin of everything you get as loot to unlock the skin.

Checking the Hero panel (H) and the achievements page is a good place to start looking for some short/mid term goals. Achievement points earned are account wide (so accumulated over all characters), the achievement reward for 5000 points has some nice goodies btw (like 400 gems). Every day you logon you will get a daily login reward chest and a list of daily events that can be completed, doing any 3 of the daily events will earn you another 10 achievement points + spirit shards (currency needed for ascended and legendary crafting later on).

google "gw2 builds" and find a build for your character, helps you work towards skills and weaponson gw2wiki find a nice ascended weapon to work towards as a longer term goal, will give you an idea what material to collect and what crafting discipline to level up

GW2 is overwhelming, there are countless things to do, I can't do them all so don't get drowned and make your own little list of short/mid/long term goals.

I agree with all the other posts but in my opinion the most important thing to do is to enjoy the beautiful world they have created for us and Have Fun! There is usually a lot of people around that will help if you ask in map chat. If you see someone who is a mentor (apple looking item above their character's head), they are there to help and answer questions. I have been here since launch and it is a great community with lots of things to do and explore.

I do wish you well and welcome to Tyria,

So many questions! I'll trust in the above responses to guide you, but I wanted to leave a drop of wisdom that might help.

In game, you can use the /wiki command with keywords, items, etc to be directed to the GW2's official wiki page.

Want to know when a boss will show? /wiki et will take you to the Event Timers page, very handy for finding something to do or scheduling an event.

Just gonna add that a great place to start is with a little map completion. You definitely don't need to 100% things right now (although that will give you good mastery XP, + a thing for gen 1 legendary weapons), but grabbing a few waypoints on each map will be very helpful. End game content will often bring you back to earlier maps for masteries, achievements, collections, new events, etc., plus rewards from playing low-level maps will scale to your level. Running around grabbing waypoints will also help you find more hero points, and while it'll be much faster to unlock an elite spec by getting hero points from HoT maps, every little bit helps.

Also: map completing a capital city (Divinity's Reach, Lion's Arch, Rata Sum, etc.) will give you a transmutation charge.

Also also: Some places are a bit tricky to find. People are usually happy to help if you ask about it in map chat.

I would suggest leveling your first character without the level boost. Going straight to 80 cuts out a lot of the fun of the game, can be overwhelming and yes your level effects the WP cost.

Getting your elite spec is best done in HoT maps due to the 10 Hero Points you get for a challenge, but you will want to be well versed in your class before going into the jungle as there is a difficulty spike (another reason to level from the ground up).

Must have from the Gemstore would be the Copper Fed Salvage-O-Matic, life changer. If you want to get other things I could maybe suggest the infinite gathering tools because they let you go mad gathering and you never need to feel bad when you run up to a Rich node and get "no gathering tool equipped."

Archived