Trying to make Guardian — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Trying to make Guardian

sdt.1697sdt.1697 Member ✭✭

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to make my Guardian. You see what I'm trying to do is make my Guardian that can heal without a loss too much DPS. It a bit confusing but I guess I'm trying to make them like a paladin. able to do all three of healing, tanking, and DPS. Now I'm not asked to be all good at three but at least of two of them where I'm ok at and one where I'm best at. Take a look at what I got so far and see if there are any changes I can make. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWzAEl7lVUxsybgZNvA3ZnOyPmpUA-zRRYPRsOMKanRqy0qVWWcA-e.

Comments

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

What are you trying to tank?

• Rukia.4802Rukia.4802 Member ✭✭

I'm assuming open world as a 1 build does all? Signet of judgement will give 10% flat dmg reduce, merciful intervention would heal both you and ally in current traits.

You could go sword/shield with mace/focus for even more blocks. You have so much toughness that it'll have some diminishing returns. GW2 is more about active mitigation rather than passive as I'm sure you know, no matter what toughness you have you'll still get 1shot by the big ones if you don't avoid with block/dodge.

I would go radiance 3/3/3 or 2/3/3 to make use of your ferocity cuz you have no crit.

TIME FOR A CRUSADE

• Virtuality.8351Virtuality.8351 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

@sdt.1697 said:
    ...You see what I'm trying to do is make my Guardian that can heal without a loss too much DPS. It a bit confusing but I guess I'm trying to make them like a paladin. able to do all three of healing, tanking, and DPS...

I am no expert of healing, but I'd suggest that you specify by 'healing' do you mean for yourself or for a group of allies. Also, it'd be nice if you list the expansions you own so people could decide whether certain specializations or attribute combinations are available to you.

You might as well specify the scenario that the build is intended to work within, like, soloing open world, etc.

Also, with 5% critical chance, you'd hardly hit hard. And for a hybrid build it is unlikely any one of the three would be top tier. Specify which one you'd like to prioritize over the other two.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

I can tell you a long story. Short version play Fire Brand. Zero toughness. A bit of HP. The less healing power the more stats you can allocate to damage. Will work better with condi damage. While guardian may seem to fit into the paladin type, core guardian and dragon hunter can only dps. You can play support/heal core, but it is way out classed by fire brand, and not viable in anything remotely competitive. And dragon hunter can only power dps.

Some hints from your build:

Do not use Litany of Wraith if you do not deal enough damage it will not heal for much.
    Never use signet of mercy unless you are specifically playing support, with a group. There are many other skills that are much more worth than 180 healing power.
    Smite is a good skill. But it is more of dps kinda skill. Healing does not scale much. And you should not use Valor in PvE anyway.
    Do not use signet of courage, ever. There is no situation where is it better than any other elite skill. The healing it does is beyond abysmal, even with healing power.

• TamX.1870TamX.1870 Member ✭✭✭

Excellent break-up, @Virtuality.8351! I was about to write about Celestial Firebrand, which could be close to the public idea of a paladin. But yes, Celestial FB would miss concentration, which indeed buffs stats considerably, and yes, at the moment the best bet for that is to go for power damage because of e.g. Harrier and Diviner stat distributions. If we look very traditional hybrid builds, I think they revolve around Shaman and Apothecary pieces, that is, heals, condi damage and Vita + Toughness.

@otto.5684 said:
    I can tell you a long story. Short version play Fire Brand. Zero toughness. A bit of HP. The less healing power the more stats you can allocate to damage. Will work better with condi damage. While guardian may seem to fit into the paladin type, core guardian and dragon hunter can only dps. You can play support/heal core, but it is way out classed by fire brand, and not viable in anything remotely competitive. And dragon hunter can only power dps.

Very true, IMO.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.