Deleted characters and birthdays - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Deleted characters and birthdays

13>

Comments

  • serialkicker.5274serialkicker.5274 Member ✭✭✭

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.
    Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

    If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

    You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

    If you have read a single post of mine, I'll eat my hat.

    I did. and my point still stands.

    You, did not minimize risk to a degree you found acceptable. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

    That is not a flaw of the system that is a flaw of you. You don't want it to collect dust fully knowing? Fine, you lose out, you are fully aware you are losing out; don't complain.

    If you don't play it then what does it matter, what's the point of having an empty slot anyways?

    Do you withdraw money from your investments to make an even number, then complain how it's punishing that you didn't make interest on the money you didn't leave in as well?

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

    And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

    It's not only about Your experience.

    That's a lot of stuff you just made up.

    First, what risk? I clearly said I was aware of what I'm doing. I made my decision and it was such that I deleted my character. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to share an idea on how to improve this system and hope perhaps developers will deem it worthy at some point. Second, I'm not complaining. If coming here and sharing an idea on how could something be changed to work for both parties without anyone get hurt, you call that complaining?
    My empty slots are my own business.

  • Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.
    Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

    If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

    You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

    If you have read a single post of mine, I'll eat my hat.

    I did. and my point still stands.

    You, did not minimize risk to a degree you found acceptable. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

    That is not a flaw of the system that is a flaw of you. You don't want it to collect dust fully knowing? Fine, you lose out, you are fully aware you are losing out; don't complain.

    If you don't play it then what does it matter, what's the point of having an empty slot anyways?

    Do you withdraw money from your investments to make an even number, then complain how it's punishing that you didn't make interest on the money you didn't leave in as well?

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

    And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

    It's not only about Your experience.

    That's a lot of stuff you just made up.

    First, what risk? I clearly said I was aware of what I'm doing. I made my decision and it was such that I deleted my character. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to share an idea on how to improve this system and hope perhaps developers will deem it worthy at some point. Second, I'm not complaining. If coming here and sharing an idea on how could something be changed to work for both parties without anyone get hurt, you call that complaining?
    My empty slots are my own business.

    "a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable." Sounds like a complaint if you don't think the current system is satisfactory.
    Frankly I think it is satisfactory to a reasonable degree, and not worth the development time to change.

    But okay, let's waste development time for a few people "NEED" to have clear slots so they can get a birthday gift which is tied to character creation. Please see the link for further response to your suggestion.

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.
    Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

    If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

    You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

    If you have read a single post of mine, I'll eat my hat.

    I did. and my point still stands.

    You, did not minimize risk to a degree you found acceptable. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

    That is not a flaw of the system that is a flaw of you. You don't want it to collect dust fully knowing? Fine, you lose out, you are fully aware you are losing out; don't complain.

    If you don't play it then what does it matter, what's the point of having an empty slot anyways?

    Do you withdraw money from your investments to make an even number, then complain how it's punishing that you didn't make interest on the money you didn't leave in as well?

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

    And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

    It's not only about Your experience; everyone plays by the same rules.

    Not sure what a random video about a game other than GW2 has to do with this topic.

    I don't see why you're being so negative about serialkicker stating his problem with the birthday system, which he has admitted is a personal one that he was aware of when he did it. And then gave a solution to it that doesn't harm other players.

    All you and others who are apparently against the idea keep doing is attacking why he's experiencing the problem and not giving any reason as to why his solution wouldn't work or why you don't agree with it. So why is serialkicker's solution to his problem not something that should be added to the game?

  • serialkicker.5274serialkicker.5274 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.
    Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

    If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

    You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

    If you have read a single post of mine, I'll eat my hat.

    I did. and my point still stands.

    You, did not minimize risk to a degree you found acceptable. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

    That is not a flaw of the system that is a flaw of you. You don't want it to collect dust fully knowing? Fine, you lose out, you are fully aware you are losing out; don't complain.

    If you don't play it then what does it matter, what's the point of having an empty slot anyways?

    Do you withdraw money from your investments to make an even number, then complain how it's punishing that you didn't make interest on the money you didn't leave in as well?

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

    And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

    It's not only about Your experience.

    That's a lot of stuff you just made up.

    First, what risk? I clearly said I was aware of what I'm doing. I made my decision and it was such that I deleted my character. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to share an idea on how to improve this system and hope perhaps developers will deem it worthy at some point. Second, I'm not complaining. If coming here and sharing an idea on how could something be changed to work for both parties without anyone get hurt, you call that complaining?
    My empty slots are my own business.

    "a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable." Sounds like a complaint if you don't think the current system is satisfactory.
    Frankly I think it is satisfactory to a reasonable degree, and not worth the development time to change.

    But yes let's waste development time for a few people NEED to have clear slots so they can get a birthday gift which is tied to character creation. Please see the link for further response to your suggestion.

    Have you ever heard of constructive feedback or critique? If you choose to perceive it as complaint, that's your problem.
    What is waste of time is something Anet will decide on. This change would affect everyone. People would have more freedom when it comes to their characters and wouldn't need to feel like they are depriving themselves of potentially exclusive item, just because they want to delete a character.

  • Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.
    Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

    If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

    You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

    If you have read a single post of mine, I'll eat my hat.

    I did. and my point still stands.

    You, did not minimize risk to a degree you found acceptable. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

    That is not a flaw of the system that is a flaw of you. You don't want it to collect dust fully knowing? Fine, you lose out, you are fully aware you are losing out; don't complain.

    If you don't play it then what does it matter, what's the point of having an empty slot anyways?

    Do you withdraw money from your investments to make an even number, then complain how it's punishing that you didn't make interest on the money you didn't leave in as well?

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

    And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

    It's not only about Your experience.

    That's a lot of stuff you just made up.

    First, what risk? I clearly said I was aware of what I'm doing. I made my decision and it was such that I deleted my character. That doesn't mean I'm not allowed to share an idea on how to improve this system and hope perhaps developers will deem it worthy at some point. Second, I'm not complaining. If coming here and sharing an idea on how could something be changed to work for both parties without anyone get hurt, you call that complaining?
    My empty slots are my own business.

    "a statement that a situation is unsatisfactory or unacceptable." Sounds like a complaint if you don't think the current system is satisfactory.
    Frankly I think it is satisfactory to a reasonable degree, and not worth the development time to change.

    But yes let's waste development time for a few people NEED to have clear slots so they can get a birthday gift which is tied to character creation. Please see the link for further response to your suggestion.

    Have you ever heard of constructive feedback or critique? If you choose to perceive it as complaint, that's your problem.
    What is waste of time is something Anet will decide on. This change would affect everyone. People would have more freedom when it comes to their characters and wouldn't need to feel like they are depriving themselves on potentially exclusive item, just because they want to delete a character.

    Constructive feedback is information-specific, issue-focused, and based on observations. It comes in two varieties: Praise and criticism
    Criticism: "the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes."
    I don't think you can perceive it in any way that isn't easily tied to a complaint... Since you wouldn't be making statements that it's unsatisfactory and would like it to change, if it wasn't for the perceived faults or mistakes.

    And okay fair, it is up to A-net to decide.... But with how much A-net has stated over the year with the complexity of their system, on top of them also having developmental issues with a lot of problems and various buggy releases, and then the historic lack of changes to things that might be higher priority, leads anyone with a bit of inference to see that this is most likely going to be a large amount of time dedicated to such a small group of players who it will matter for. (hence: a waste.)

    UNLESSsssssss, you're incredibly lucky and something that was baked into character creation since launch is an easy fix. (which I highly doubt)
    Also we exist in a world where they can't even dye back packs, something a FAR greater number of players would care about, so keep that in mind.

    If it's an easy fix, sure by all means, go for it. But I really don't think you understand what you are asking for, and for such a tiny portion of players who it makes a difference for.

  • Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    If you wanted the gift so much you should have just got another character slot and left it alone.
    Name change contracts are an option if you want a particular name transferred.

    If I go into game and delete my twilight intentionally, I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that all my greatswords should function with select-able stats and that it's somehow punishing. You should have had the foresight to avoid a punishing situation.

    You have to learn to weigh your options, and accept the reality that comes with it. It's up to you to minimize negative outcomes, not blame the system; when the system gives you every option to minimize.

    If you have read a single post of mine, I'll eat my hat.

    I did. and my point still stands.

    You, did not minimize risk to a degree you found acceptable. Otherwise this topic wouldn't even exist.

    That is not a flaw of the system that is a flaw of you. You don't want it to collect dust fully knowing? Fine, you lose out, you are fully aware you are losing out; don't complain.

    If you don't play it then what does it matter, what's the point of having an empty slot anyways?

    Do you withdraw money from your investments to make an even number, then complain how it's punishing that you didn't make interest on the money you didn't leave in as well?

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He's not saying the current system is bad. Just that it does punish players who are like him and don't want to keep characters they don't want to play anymore.

    And he went a step further and came up with an idea that would solve his problem, but not affect how birthdays work for everyone else who does keep characters around they don't play anymore for the gifts.

    It's not only about Your experience; everyone plays by the same rules.

    Not sure what a random video about a game other than GW2 has to do with this topic.

    I don't see why you're being so negative about serialkicker stating his problem with the birthday system, which he has admitted is a personal one that he was aware of when he did it. And then gave a solution to it that doesn't harm other players.

    All you and others who are apparently against the idea keep doing is attacking why he's experiencing the problem and not giving any reason as to why his solution wouldn't work or why you don't agree with it. So why is serialkicker's solution to his problem not something that should be added to the game?

    If you found that random and can't correlate it to MMO design as a whole then lol.

    As for the reasons why scroll up.

  • serialkicker.5274serialkicker.5274 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    See, I couldn't care less about backpacks, let alone about dying them. Yet, I'm not going to your topic to tell you it's a complaint. With your logic, it is a complaint. I, however, wouldn't say so. You give your ideas and I'll give mine.
    You have no way of knowing how many players my change would affect. There could be a lot of players wanting to delete a char or two, but bday gifts are stopping them. I don't know, you don't know. We could only speculate.
    In the end of the day, it's only an idea and suggestion. At no point I tried to make it a demand.
    Besides, all those thing Anet has to do that you listed, but surely they could find time to dye backpacks? They just wouldn't have time for my suggestion.

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

    @Daishi.6027 said:
    Constructive feedback is information-specific, issue-focused, and based on observations. It comes in two varieties: Praise and criticism
    Criticism: "the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes."
    I don't think you can perceive it in any way that isn't easily tied to a complaint... Since you wouldn't be making statements that it's unsatisfactory and would like it to change, if it wasn't for the perceived faults or mistakes.

    And okay fair, it is up to A-net to decide.... But with how much A-net has stated over the year with the complexity of their system, on top of them also having developmental issues with a lot of problems and various buggy releases, and then the historic lack of changes to things that might be higher priority, leads anyone with a bit of inference to see that this is most likely going to be a waste.

    UNLESSsssssss, you're incredibly lucky and something that was baked into character creation since launch is an easy fix. (which I highly doubt)
    Also we exist in a world where they can't even dye back packs, something a FAR greater number of players would care about, so keep that in mind.

    If it's an easy fix, sure by all means, go for it. But I really don't think you understand what you are asking for, and for such a tiny portion of players who it makes a difference for.

    He gave good criticism. Complaining to me would be someone saying that system is horrible and woe is them. Which serialkicker has not done. So he's giving criticism. He even goes a step further and gives a possible solution.

    He's asking for an account birthday gift to be added. Don't see what's not easy to understand about what he's asking. The game knows when the account was created and can calculate how old an account is. They've shown they can tie achievements to character age. It's not asking too much to ask for a yearly achievement that looks at account age given that. Any other reasons as to why it shouldn't be added since this doesn't appear to be something that is too hard or would take too long to add. Moving the account gifts for years 1-6 might be impossible, but then all someone in the OP's position has to do is keep a single character for 6 years and they'll get all of the account gifts.

    He's not said anything with regards to what it has to be exactly. So it's hard to decide impact on game itself.

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

  • serialkicker.5274serialkicker.5274 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

    I was referring to things like luminous weapon skins. First few years didn't provide anything that couldn't be obtained by other means, except birthday booster if we want to count that.
    Then I believe at 5th year, it started getting some exclusivity, like luminous skins, that can only be obtained in birthday gifts. Now, while I'm not stoked for these luminous skins, we don't know what next years could bring. Perhaps at some point, there will be something I'd like to have and will sadly have to do without, because I'd have to wait another 5 years to reach players who kept their characters. (game might not even run for that long for me to reach there, heh -I'm not doomsaying here!- It wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't start throwing things around, but I'd be a bit bummed.

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

    I was referring to things like luminous weapon skins. First few years didn't provide anything that couldn't be obtained by other means, except birthday booster if we want to count that.
    Then I believe at 5th year, it started getting some exclusivity, like luminous skins, that can only be obtained in birthday gifts. Now, while I'm not stoked for these luminous skins, we don't know what next years could bring. Perhaps at some point, there will be something I'd like to have and will sadly have to do without, because I'd have to wait another 5 years to reach players who kept their characters. (game might not even run for that long for me to reach there, heh -I'm not doomsaying here!- It wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't start throwing things around, but I'd be a bit bummed.

    Then if it's gifts like that, then I don't see how it would have a negative impact on the game's economy. The account gifts have been obtainable only by the birthday reward so it's not like the dye packs that do lower the in game value of the exclusive gem store dyes. If you had a character that permafrost dye would look so pefect on that you can't see any other dye being an option and you had a character about to hit 6 years old, would you spend almost 800g on it or would you wait for the freebie?

  • Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    See, I couldn't care less about backpacks, let alone about dying them. Yet, I'm not going to your topic to tell you it's a complaint. With your logic, it is a complaint. I, however, wouldn't say so. You give your ideas and I'll give mine.
    You have no way of knowing how many players my chance would affect. There could be a lot of players wanting to delete a char or two, but bday gifts are stopping them. I don't know, you don't know. We could only speculate.
    In the end of the day, it's only an idea and suggestion. At no point I tried to make it a demand.

    I mean it is a complaint, one several players have had for years, we've had several topics on the old forums as well as these ones.
    Don't turn this around on me lol, I'm only using it as an example of what A-net is capable of, and willing to do with there systems.

    But on the sheer number of times this topic has come up alone over the past 7ish years, even searching through the old forums, you can tell it affects significantly less. I don't doubt that there are people who would want it, but the easy solution if they want the rewards is to just keep their character unless you REALLLLLY need a slot, at which point you have the option to buy or farm one out. So my speculation at least has some girth of numbers attached.

    And I never said you demanded it, I at least thought I was careful to not claim that; I may have to double check my posts, and if I did I apologize. However, I don't think your idea is a very well thought out one beyond, for whatever reason wanting to delete your characters but maintain your rewards, and you just want it to happen. Which isn't any slight on you, I've made ill thought out suggestions in the past, and I'm sure many people will, and I'm sure I will in the future. When it happens I hope the community will tell me when it's dumb, a waste, poor priority, point out how I'm being a snowflake, or give me an easier solution.

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He gave good criticism. Complaining to me would be someone saying that system is horrible and woe is them. Which serialkicker has not done. So he's giving criticism. He even goes a step further and gives a possible solution.

    I already pointed out the definitions, I don't really care what it means to an individual, and I'm not talking about colloquialisms.

    @Seera.5916 said:
    He's asking for an account birthday gift to be added. Don't see what's not easy to understand about what he's asking. The game knows when the account was created and can calculate how old an account is. They've shown they can tie achievements to character age. It's not asking too much to ask for a yearly achievement that looks at account age given that. Any other reasons as to why it shouldn't be added since this doesn't appear to be something that is too hard or would take too long to add. Moving the account gifts for years 1-6 might be impossible, but then all someone in the OP's position has to do is keep a single character for 6 years and they'll get all of the account gifts.

    So... anyone who deletes gets rewards to make up for deleting characters. Majority of the rest of the people in the game get more for having their characters AND the account reward. Which becomes the standard, and the people deleting still miss out on something. All this really does is give the average player more rewards for no reason. This solution doesn't even solve the issue of deleting, you still miss out on something. So if we're status quo, why does it matter?

    Also if that's the initial suggestion then prefacing it as "Give us account rewards" instead of "Deleted characters = no birthday = sad" probably would have been a better stance to argue... Except you might get the same responses.

  • Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2019

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Just a flesh wound.3589 said:
    The game and its birthday system is almost 7 years old. Right or wrong they aren’t going to revamp the whole birthday reward system to accommodate those who delete their chars.

    However, you could always make a ticket and ask for your oldest char to be reinstated. You’ll need an empty char slot, the name to be available and they need to still have records on it. Give that a try and don’t delete it again if they do reinstate it.

    I deleted every character fully aware I will miss out on the gifts. I don't like having characters collect dust, especially if I know I will never play them again. I just think it's a sloppy system, that's all. Things we get are account bound anyway, so it would be better to have them as account gift, rather than character tied. Ah, well..

    It was this way in the original GW as well, and they don't collect dust unless you let them...consider them as a mobile bank, aka mule, so you can hold more stuff than you normally would be able too. I've got characters sitting around that I haven't touched in a few years, but I'm not getting rid of them because they have items on them and if I decide I want to change from my main they're always there waiting for me...but I guess it's really a personal preference. I'd rather be getting the gifts for each character than account age...you would only get one major gift each year for your account, with birthday gifts you can get as many as you have characters.

    P.S. - I wouldn't delete that Asura if I was you, otherwise you'll miss out on the 7th, 8th, 9th., etc., etc., Birthday rewards as well...and you can be there will be exclusives on some if not all of those.

    Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

    I was referring to things like luminous weapon skins. First few years didn't provide anything that couldn't be obtained by other means, except birthday booster if we want to count that.
    Then I believe at 5th year, it started getting some exclusivity, like luminous skins, that can only be obtained in birthday gifts. Now, while I'm not stoked for these luminous skins, we don't know what next years could bring. Perhaps at some point, there will be something I'd like to have and will sadly have to do without, because I'd have to wait another 5 years to reach players who kept their characters. (game might not even run for that long for me to reach there, heh -I'm not doomsaying here!- It wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't start throwing things around, but I'd be a bit bummed.

    Then if it's gifts like that, then I don't see how it would have a negative impact on the game's economy. The account gifts have been obtainable only by the birthday reward so it's not like the dye packs that do lower the in game value of the exclusive gem store dyes. If you had a character that permafrost dye would look so pefect on that you can't see any other dye being an option and you had a character about to hit 6 years old, would you spend almost 800g on it or would you wait for the freebie?

    So, you are agreeing that deleting characters should deny you getting Birthday Gifts? I'm confused. Lol.

    Regardless, I think that it will likely come down to the way it worked in Guild Wars with Festival Hats. If you missed out, for whatever the reason, you had to wait for maintenance-mode and a vendor that would sell the 'exclusive' items for a token acquired in subsequent festivals (substitute anniversaries/birthdays).

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Daishi.6027 said:

    See, I couldn't care less about backpacks, let alone about dying them. Yet, I'm not going to your topic to tell you it's a complaint. With your logic, it is a complaint. I, however, wouldn't say so. You give your ideas and I'll give mine.
    You have no way of knowing how many players my chance would affect. There could be a lot of players wanting to delete a char or two, but bday gifts are stopping them. I don't know, you don't know. We could only speculate.
    In the end of the day, it's only an idea and suggestion. At no point I tried to make it a demand.

    I mean it is a complaint, one several players have had for years, we've had several topics on the old forums as well as these ones.
    Don't turn this around on me lol, I'm only using it as an example of what A-net is capable of, and willing to do with there systems.

    But on the sheer number of times this topic has come up alone over the past 7ish years, even searching through the old forums, you can tell it affects significantly less. I don't doubt that there are people who would want it, but the easy solution if they want the rewards is to just keep their character unless you REALLLLLY need a slot, at which point you have the option to buy or farm one out. So my speculation at least has some girth of numbers attached.

    And I never said you demanded it, I at least thought I was careful to not claim that; I may have to double check my posts, and if I did I apologize. However, I don't think your idea is a very well thought out one beyond, for whatever reason wanting to delete your characters but maintain your rewards, and you just want it to happen. Which isn't any slight on you, I've made ill thought out suggestions in the past, and I'm sure many people will, and I'm sure I will in the future. When it happens I hope the community will tell me when it's dumb, a waste, poor priority, point out how I'm being a snowflake, or give me an easier solution.

    @Seera.5916 said:

    He gave good criticism. Complaining to me would be someone saying that system is horrible and woe is them. Which serialkicker has not done. So he's giving criticism. He even goes a step further and gives a possible solution.

    I already pointed out the definitions, I don't really care what it means to an individual, and I'm not talking about colloquialisms.

    @Seera.5916 said:
    He's asking for an account birthday gift to be added. Don't see what's not easy to understand about what he's asking. The game knows when the account was created and can calculate how old an account is. They've shown they can tie achievements to character age. It's not asking too much to ask for a yearly achievement that looks at account age given that. Any other reasons as to why it shouldn't be added since this doesn't appear to be something that is too hard or would take too long to add. Moving the account gifts for years 1-6 might be impossible, but then all someone in the OP's position has to do is keep a single character for 6 years and they'll get all of the account gifts.

    So... anyone who deletes gets rewards to make up for deleting characters. Majority of the rest of the people in the game get more for having their characters AND the account reward. Which becomes the standard, and the people deleting still miss out on something. All this really does is give the average player more rewards for no reason. This solution doesn't even solve the issue of deleting, you still miss out on something. So if we're status quo, why does it matter?

    Also if that's the initial suggestion then prefacing it as "Give us account rewards" instead of "Deleted characters = no birthday = sad" probably would have been a better stance to argue... Except you might get the same responses.

    He's not asking for more rewards to be added. He's asking for the account rewards that are in the character birthday gifts to be attached to account age rather than character age. It would also reduce player confusion upon character birthdays for which gifts are account and which are character. So where is this "more rewards" you talk about?

    This post is only talking about the con of birthday gifts with regards to deleting characters. His idea does not keep the status quo on the receiving of the gifts, but maintains the status quo with regards to the rewards received for players who never delete any characters except for ones designed to be deleted such as key run characters. AKA players like serialkicker get to receive the one or two account gifts that ANet puts in each year like the luminous weapons but none of the character specific ones like the dye packs and players like me see no real change except maybe the date that we receive the account based gifts if we've deleted the first character on the account.

    I do think the chances of this being added are slim given the fact that most people keep at least one character around for forever. However, I would not be opposed to it being added.

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

    I was referring to things like luminous weapon skins. First few years didn't provide anything that couldn't be obtained by other means, except birthday booster if we want to count that.
    Then I believe at 5th year, it started getting some exclusivity, like luminous skins, that can only be obtained in birthday gifts. Now, while I'm not stoked for these luminous skins, we don't know what next years could bring. Perhaps at some point, there will be something I'd like to have and will sadly have to do without, because I'd have to wait another 5 years to reach players who kept their characters. (game might not even run for that long for me to reach there, heh -I'm not doomsaying here!- It wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't start throwing things around, but I'd be a bit bummed.

    Then if it's gifts like that, then I don't see how it would have a negative impact on the game's economy. The account gifts have been obtainable only by the birthday reward so it's not like the dye packs that do lower the in game value of the exclusive gem store dyes. If you had a character that permafrost dye would look so pefect on that you can't see any other dye being an option and you had a character about to hit 6 years old, would you spend almost 800g on it or would you wait for the freebie?

    So, you are agreeing that deleting characters should deny you getting Birthday Gifts? I'm confused. Lol.

    Regardless, I think that it will likely come down to the way it worked in Guild Wars with Festival Hats. If you missed out, for whatever the reason, you had to wait for maintenance-mode and a vendor that would sell the 'exclusive' items for a token acquired in subsequent festivals (substitute anniversaries/birthdays).

    Not entirely. The character specific ones like the dye packs should remain attached to the character's birthday.

    But the account specific ones like the luminous weapons and the race backpack are ones that I would be fine if they were attached to the account's age as opposed to character's age and awarded only when a character reached that many years old.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Maybe there wouldn't be so much confusion if the rewards in question were not erroneously being referred to as 'Birthday Gifts'.

    They are aptly named - 'Anniversary - xxx'
    For example, last year's: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Devoted_Anniversary_Achievement_Box (I'm guessing they will be 'XXX Anniversary Achievement Boxes' from now on.)
    The year before: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anniversary_Backpack_and_Weapon_Pack_Combo
    The preceding year: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Anniversary_Backpack_and_Mail_Carrier_Pack
    Etc.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

    I was referring to things like luminous weapon skins. First few years didn't provide anything that couldn't be obtained by other means, except birthday booster if we want to count that.
    Then I believe at 5th year, it started getting some exclusivity, like luminous skins, that can only be obtained in birthday gifts. Now, while I'm not stoked for these luminous skins, we don't know what next years could bring. Perhaps at some point, there will be something I'd like to have and will sadly have to do without, because I'd have to wait another 5 years to reach players who kept their characters. (game might not even run for that long for me to reach there, heh -I'm not doomsaying here!- It wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't start throwing things around, but I'd be a bit bummed.

    Then if it's gifts like that, then I don't see how it would have a negative impact on the game's economy. The account gifts have been obtainable only by the birthday reward so it's not like the dye packs that do lower the in game value of the exclusive gem store dyes. If you had a character that permafrost dye would look so pefect on that you can't see any other dye being an option and you had a character about to hit 6 years old, would you spend almost 800g on it or would you wait for the freebie?

    So, you are agreeing that deleting characters should deny you getting Birthday Gifts? I'm confused. Lol.

    Regardless, I think that it will likely come down to the way it worked in Guild Wars with Festival Hats. If you missed out, for whatever the reason, you had to wait for maintenance-mode and a vendor that would sell the 'exclusive' items for a token acquired in subsequent festivals (substitute anniversaries/birthdays).

    Not entirely. The character specific ones like the dye packs should remain attached to the character's birthday.

    But the account specific ones like the luminous weapons and the race backpack are ones that I would be fine if they were attached to the account's age as opposed to character's age and awarded only when a character reached that many years old.

    Yea but you have to put it in context of if this get added what have it taken resources from that wont be added.
    It affect so few people so its not an important change, OP even admited they knew what would happen and deleted anyway.
    Imo its just bad form trying to get it changed just becouse feelings afterward.

  • Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

    @Linken.6345 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:

    @Seera.5916 said:

    @serialkicker.5274 What specific ideas did you have in mind for those unique gifts?

    I was referring to things like luminous weapon skins. First few years didn't provide anything that couldn't be obtained by other means, except birthday booster if we want to count that.
    Then I believe at 5th year, it started getting some exclusivity, like luminous skins, that can only be obtained in birthday gifts. Now, while I'm not stoked for these luminous skins, we don't know what next years could bring. Perhaps at some point, there will be something I'd like to have and will sadly have to do without, because I'd have to wait another 5 years to reach players who kept their characters. (game might not even run for that long for me to reach there, heh -I'm not doomsaying here!- It wouldn't be the end of the world and I wouldn't start throwing things around, but I'd be a bit bummed.

    Then if it's gifts like that, then I don't see how it would have a negative impact on the game's economy. The account gifts have been obtainable only by the birthday reward so it's not like the dye packs that do lower the in game value of the exclusive gem store dyes. If you had a character that permafrost dye would look so pefect on that you can't see any other dye being an option and you had a character about to hit 6 years old, would you spend almost 800g on it or would you wait for the freebie?

    So, you are agreeing that deleting characters should deny you getting Birthday Gifts? I'm confused. Lol.

    Regardless, I think that it will likely come down to the way it worked in Guild Wars with Festival Hats. If you missed out, for whatever the reason, you had to wait for maintenance-mode and a vendor that would sell the 'exclusive' items for a token acquired in subsequent festivals (substitute anniversaries/birthdays).

    Not entirely. The character specific ones like the dye packs should remain attached to the character's birthday.

    But the account specific ones like the luminous weapons and the race backpack are ones that I would be fine if they were attached to the account's age as opposed to character's age and awarded only when a character reached that many years old.

    Yea but you have to put it in context of if this get added what have it taken resources from that wont be added.
    It affect so few people so its not an important change, OP even admited they knew what would happen and deleted anyway.
    Imo its just bad form trying to get it changed just becouse feelings afterward.

    I can't imagine it takes that many resources to create a new achievement to hold the Anniversary gifts. But I would put it so low on the priority list that I wouldn't hold your breath for it happening any time soon.

    I wouldn't say it's bad form what the OP did. It would be different if he was demanding it change or demanding that the birthday gifts also get attached to the account age. But he's not. He suggested it and only wants the anniversary gifts attached to the account age.

  • Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭

    This is the joyful, friendly, helpful GW2 community at work. His idea isn't a bad one, imo. Not likely, but nothing malicious.

  • Zohane.7208Zohane.7208 Member ✭✭✭

    In all fairness, in your original post, OP, you wrote:

    @serialkicker.5274 said:
    I think it would be better if personal (character birthday gifts) were something small, something that can obtainable by other means, while unique skins, scrolls and the rest could be tied to account age. Something like anniversary of your account and you (player) get a birthday gift on that day.

    To me it kind of looks like your suggestion was to strongly devalue the current per-character birthday gift, which is kind of the same as removing them - not entirely but almost.

    I mean, today we get for out 6th birthday (per character):

    • 2 Birthday Boosters
    • 1 Experience Scroll (level 60)
    • 5 Teleport to Friend
    • 1 Triumphant Dye Kit
    • 1 Birthday Card
    • 2 Black Lion Statuette

    This isn't a small gift and while most of it is obtainable by other means they can be really expensive.

    I would guess that this may be why many people still think you want to "remove" the per-character gifts.

  • IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift

    Looking at the wiki page, I see items listed as "Gift contents," and those listed as "One-time account rewards." If what the OP is suggesting is that in order to get the one-time account rewards, one would need an account of that age, whereas to get the Gift contents items, one would have to have a character of that age, then I wouldn't have an issue. I think that's what he wants, but there was one mention of "scrolls," which fall under Gift contents.

    Allowing the OP and those in his shoes access to the one-time account rewards does not take anything away from players who've kept all their characters. I don't like the idea of ANet restricting the gift contents rewards that are not currently once-per-account (e.g., dye kits). That would be removing an existing benefit that having kept multiple characters currently offers. More inclusiveness, to my mind, is fine, but less, in the form of taking away a benefit never goes over well.

    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

  • Another option could be the rewards being tied to character slot rather than the character itself. As long as it has had a character made on it in the past it should activate. Then if you delete and remake a character it shouldn't restart the birthday "timer". This might make both sides happy. Of course people who wait a certain amount of years to get a gift and delete the character to start again might miss out but does anyone actually do that?

  • Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift

    Looking at the wiki page, I see items listed as "Gift contents," and those listed as "One-time account rewards." If what the OP is suggesting is that in order to get the one-time account rewards, one would need an account of that age, whereas to get the Gift contents items, one would have to have a character of that age, then I wouldn't have an issue. I think that's what he wants, but there was one mention of "scrolls," which fall under Gift contents.

    Allowing the OP and those in his shoes access to the one-time account rewards does not take anything away from players who've kept all their characters. I don't like the idea of ANet restricting the gift contents rewards that are not currently once-per-account (e.g., dye kits). That would be removing an existing benefit that having kept multiple characters currently offers. More inclusiveness, to my mind, is fine, but less, in the form of taking away a benefit never goes over well.

    Are you sure the "One-time account rewards" means only once per account regardless of how many characters you have that reach that age? I'm pretty sure I got more than one of the Triumphant Dye kits on my 6 year old characters...but then I could be wrong too(thought I sold that second Permafrost dye I took).

    Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

  • I agree that it would be better for the one-time-per-account birthday gifts to be given on account anniversary rather than on your oldest character's birthday. Admittedly, it wouldn't actually affect me, since I have a character the same age as my account who I will never delete, but here are some reasons I think it's a good idea:
    1. The current system, where some birthday gifts are given once per account and some are given once per character, is potentially confusing. When the anniversary backpacks were released, I remember several threads/comments from people who were confused by the fact that they'd only received one backpack instead of one per 4-year-old character. If I recall correctly, some of them thought it was a bug.
    2. There's nothing obvious in game to indicate that you will get these once-per-account birthday gifts at all - a player whose characters are all less than three years old has no reason to know about them. Even then, because of the way achievement rewards are given (bouncy chest not explicitly tied to the related achievement), once you've received one it's not totally obvious that it's only given once per account.
    3. No one can actually make a fully informed decision about deleting their oldest character, since we don't yet know what the 7th and subsequent birthday/anniversary gifts will be. My guess is even ANet devs don't know what the 8th one will be yet - though obviously I don't know how far in advance they decide.

    @serialkicker.5274 said:
    I am being unhappy about how quick people come to tell you how wrong you are to ask something or give suggestion. You get impression like "Who I am to even dare come here and think and share an opinion on in game feature." Like I said before, I have no problem with people to disagree and provide an explanation why they think so. Like person above who said they wouldn't like to lose on rewards. But people who say "NO, they aren't doing that" basically because they personally don't care for this or don't need the change...

    Unfortunately there are some very vocal users of this forum who will shoot down almost any suggestion, regardless of what it actually is, with arguments along the lines of: the suggestion is a waste of resources, it's prohibitively difficult to implement, ANet shouldn't do something just because you want them to, it's not the same as what we currently have, etc. Often the arguments don't actually address the suggestion itself, and in some cases it seems these people haven't actually read or understood the suggestion anyway. I'm happy for people to disagree with a suggestion if they have a reason that's actually related to the suggestion itself - as some of the comments in this thread do - but I'm inclined to ignore anyone making an argument that could equally apply to any suggestion whatsoever, especially if that argument depends on them knowing things that only an ANet employee could know. I'm actually really surprised that anyone who reads these forums regularly is prepared to suggest anything at all, given the types of responses they're likely to get.

  • Zeefa.3915Zeefa.3915 Member ✭✭✭

    @Zaklex.6308 said:

    @IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Birthday_Gift

    Looking at the wiki page, I see items listed as "Gift contents," and those listed as "One-time account rewards." If what the OP is suggesting is that in order to get the one-time account rewards, one would need an account of that age, whereas to get the Gift contents items, one would have to have a character of that age, then I wouldn't have an issue. I think that's what he wants, but there was one mention of "scrolls," which fall under Gift contents.

    Allowing the OP and those in his shoes access to the one-time account rewards does not take anything away from players who've kept all their characters. I don't like the idea of ANet restricting the gift contents rewards that are not currently once-per-account (e.g., dye kits). That would be removing an existing benefit that having kept multiple characters currently offers. More inclusiveness, to my mind, is fine, but less, in the form of taking away a benefit never goes over well.

    Are you sure the "One-time account rewards" means only once per account regardless of how many characters you have that reach that age? I'm pretty sure I got more than one of the Triumphant Dye kits on my 6 year old characters...but then I could be wrong too(thought I sold that second Permafrost dye I took).

    The dye kit is not under the once per account rewards, so you should definitely get 1 for each character. Can't have sold them though, since they are accountbound. Check the link again people, its pretty clear which is the gift content all characters get and which is only once.

  • Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭

    So what it really boils down to is making the ACHIEVEMENT tied to account age(HEY you've played GUILD WARS 2 for xx years! AWESOME!) and give the unique awards through that(which is already done, just through character reaching that age) and nothing else at all changing.

    This sounds pretty reasonable, unless you fall into the camps of people who actually enjoy denying folks other things. You know the ones. I did it this way, I had to suffer(presumably by buying additional slots and/or not deleting that character they made on account-open-day and named it something silly) so in order to get the shinies you have to suffer too. Or better yet, not get them at all since then my shiny will be even MORE exclusive.

    To my embarrassment, I was once one of those. Back in SWTOR they released an anniversary gift(account not character) and it was only up that DAY. Well, after some outcry, the next anniversary, they put out a vendor where you could get all the past years gifts if you hadn't yet gotten them. BOY was I angry and upset. MY SPECIAL something was no longer special because everyone was able to get it. Eventually I realized I was behaving in a less than mature manner, and y'know, that was actually a pretty cool thing SWTOR did.

  • Hi everyone,

    This discussion thread has turned sour, with many 1-to-1 discussions that are unproductive back-and-forth, coupled with posts that are going to be moderated, once I've closed this thread. While we allow discussions on a wide range of topics, we do not want debates where participants are not respectful of each other.

    I invite everyone to please be respectful in the way you phrase your questions and answers, both to us and to fellow players. If you're not sure what is allowed or not on the forums, check out the Code of Conduct.

    Thank you.


    Stéphane Lo Presti
    Content Marketing Manager

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.