After 9 years core Necro still has bad power options, and Power Harbinger is suffering from that

MrTJpwnz.4710

I tried power harbinger during the beta and I was very dissapointed. It doesn't even get past 30k DPS, pretty far from it even. The traits of power harbinger look pretty decent, so do the traits of the core specializations. The thing where it goes wrong with with the weapons of necro. The coefficients are way too low, and their cast times are fairly long. For offhand there isn't really an option at all that does good power damage, and are right now only used to get some life force. The pistol skills are better than a full on power weapon like axe, which makes kinda no sense either. Shroud skills are kinda weak for power (shroud 2 is okay i guess, but feels weak when thinking of shroud as your high damage kit). 

The traits for power are also already weaker than the condi versions by design. Power just gets a modifier of blight, condi gets same modifier to condi's + extra condi in shroud on top of that. Condi gets pistol CDR+conversion, power gets just conversion and irrelevant stab, GM trait for power does ~3.5 times less damage than the condi one.

Also in general power classes are used for bursts, and the blight mechanic needing to ramp up already kind of removes the burst capabilities of power harbinger. Another thing that I find very annoying is the trait that increases crit chance by 33% only in shroud, which makes optimizing gear for harbinger a mess.

I can go in much more detail but I think the point is pretty clear and obvious. Im honestly pretty baffled by the fact that after all these years necro still has kitten power weapons outside of reaper. 

36 minutes ago, dudike.7814 said:

Sorry for a silly question, but why everyone refers to a damage in this game as DPS (damage per second)?

Where are these numbers coming from?

Basically damage per second (DPS) is a comparable metric across all classes. Every class can do lets say 1 million damage, but its the time in which they can pull that amount damage off that determines if the class is weak or strong as a damage dealer.

Typically every class has a benchmark of its dps potential, which are done in the golem training area that can be accessed from the lion's arch Aerodome next to the bank. Incase you want to see a list of benchmarks go to snowcrows.com.

46 minutes ago, dudike.7814 said:

thanks,

so 30K damage per second? How is that even possible?

Pretty easy tbh. Also in solo open world you can reach perma over 20k with some classes. Or at least close to it.

The numbers like 30k are mostly about fractals and at a golem in lions Arch...So where you have access to All boons ingame. 

Average is between 34k and 39k. 

There is a Website for looking at the numbers that each spec does. 

Just search for: snowcrows benchmarks

But be sure this says just something about the dps of a class to a still standing enemy that does not fight back while you have all or nearly all possible boons. 

There are also other factors how that spec does in a real fight like sustain (some classes have to dodge more than other), vulnerability, self boons and so on...

Condi harbinger is at 45k dps atm but harbinger was a hybrid spec that should also deal good power dps, but it doesn't.

The same with virtuoso tbh but the other way around. It is also hybrid but does only Really good dps as power but not as condi.

Understandable that people want also good dps for power (as harbinger) or condi (as virtuoso) when they have specially traits for it. 

But i think they will ofc buff them, its obvious that the New e specs are not perfect already. 

Edited by SeTect.5918

4 minutes ago, Ganathar.4956 said:

Harbinger should not even have a power option, and virtuoso should have no Condi option. These feel shoehorned and a waste of traits.

Its always been this way. For example, Berserker is both power & condi. Same for Renegade. There's only a few classes that don't have both options, which IMO is the actual design flaw, not this.

More options is always better; the entire game matters, not just high-end instanced PvE..

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Its always been this way. For example, Berserker is both power & condi. Same for Renegade. There's only a few classes that don't have both options, which IMO is the actual design flaw, not this.

More options is always better; the entire game matters, not just high-end instanced PvE..

Reaper is both power and condi, while we're at it. And with much more interesting traits.

And really, if we go into removing useless kitten from HB. Does necro need another ranged condi spec, that plays exactly like the previous one, down to ripping off desert shroud?

• Like 1